Ma, NH, training days.

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:26 am

It's on.

We can do Head to head and then GS. 11ish sound good?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Dan Parrish

???

Post by Dan Parrish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:48 am

...if it was on, I was the one to throw the switch.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:56 am

I got there around 12:45 and had a great solo sess. I set the gnarrrliest hybrid course- a string of 6ers curving twice before throwing you into some big offsets which led to a bunch of off the line 7 footers which felt like 5 footers at that speed. We are soooo lucky to have that spot- it's a perfect training ground...

Y'all should come and if anyone was there when I wasn't sorry!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 pm

I was sick as a dog all weekend - not worth the 7 hours of driving in that condition. X-P
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 pm

I was at Loudon watching NASCAR. I love anything that races. Anybody up for a skate session on sunday afternoon, July 6th (5-until dark)? I will skate at Fells, Gloucester or ???

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:52 pm

I'll be in DC Thurs. PM thru Sunday late - hope to get in a sesh with BP, Ohm, Easy and crew!
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:54 am

Sunday Fells Session....

what time is good for everyone?

please let me know if your coming
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Later the better for me. I may not be able to get there until 5. If you decide to go earlier I will try to make it but don't count on me.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Since there is no activity about the Fells session then I am assuming it is off. I just got back from NH and the traffic was insane. I don't think I am up for another hour of driving. I hope you all had a great 4th see you soon.

T Whalen

Antrim Clinic / Practice Day

Post by T Whalen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Northeast Crew:

I saw this over on another website. Interested in going (and interested in carpooling with people coming up from the south).

Interested in Slalom?

I'm organizing a Slalom Racing Clinic here in Antrim, NH. Antrim is home of the CanAm Race in the fall, it's in SW NH, about an hour from Manchester, or 45 minutes to Keene, Concord, and Nashua.

My main goal is to get some local interest in the sport, though "local" I'll leave to your interpretation. I'm really not sure how big or small this may be, but if you are interested, please let me know, I'm counting heads and need signed reg. forms.

Experienced racers will be conducting the clinic.

We have the race course, aka Summer Street, closed for the day. Starting low and slow, all levels are encouraged to try. We'll have some gear available too, so those who don't have the right boards can try this the right way.

Some details are:

Sat, 7/26, rain date Sunday
10AM Start, I envision running 'til 5 or 6
It's Free, donations to Antrim Friends of Rec are welcome.
It's sponsored by the Antrim Parks & Rec Dept, and therefore:
Registration is required (as in adult signature/release) and,
Helmets are Mandatory - but of course!

I'm sure there's more I ought to put in here, but wanted to get this posted - and it's too nice a day to sit here crunching words. I'll put some details in as I think of them.

Message me, or email teencenter at tds o net for info.

Registration Form: http://avenueatc.com/registration.doc

If you're nearby but can't make it, drop me a line anyway, maybe we can skate sometime!

Dave K

Terry Whalen

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:47 am

Congrats to Rick Floyd taking 2nd in Hybrid and tight at the US Nationals! Good job dude.

BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks Karl! I'm still in la-la land right now...can't believe it.

I just noticed in that pic that my outside front wheel is OFF the ground - I have been progressively loosening my front truck (and using softer bushings) in training since the Needham race and it obviously is making a huge difference. I felt like a completely different racer last weekend.

And thanks again for all your Northeast slalom STOKE! See you in Antrim at the clinic in two weeks.

T Whalen

Congrats!

Post by T Whalen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:23 am

Rick/WRIV,

Way to represent the Northeast!

Rick this may help you with your CGB jones:

http://www.morebeach.com/Cape_Cod_Beach_Cam.html

I hope to get up to Antrim too - seems like a great chance to ride the hill a spread some stoke with the lokes.

Terry

T Whalen

Equipment / Training ?

Post by T Whalen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:35 am

Fellow Northeast Racers (or others),

Looking for some thoughts on gear - for those of you at the Needham race - if I had Radikals would I have shaved a second off my time? Or even a half second? I'm looking for some justification to upgade some equipment. I'm not riding a kicktail board yet or Zigs or Hot Spots.

Where would be the best place to put some money into equipment?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Terry

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 am

Terry,

What were you riding?

You know I've got all kinds of stuff for sale, but if I remember correctly you have at least a GX Bennett and a splitfire. I'd only think a radikal would make a noticable difference in the tight tight.

Zigs are another matter and I hear great things about the black ops. The only race of note that I've won, I was on zigs and everyone else was on avalons. DIfferent urethane and 2mm bigger seem to make a difference that day. I got zigs for sale if you need them.

Joe

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm a slow guy but I would buy wheels before Trucks...As for which I prefer the feel of Seismic thane over Zigs though Zigs have better traction it just doesn't feel right to me at worst get a set of each.
turns are fun....

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:38 am

Zigs are faster and grippier than Avalons (trimmed or not) and than the older formula Hot Spots. Don't know about the Black Ops stuff, haven't tried it yet...

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Congrats to Rick Floyd taking 2nd in Hybrid and tight at the US Nationals! Good job dude.
Karl - you know I am fully aware that you, Weez, CMC, Jackhammer, Glenn , Duquette, Mig, Louis and about 4 or 5 other Open class Canadians were not there (sorry if I missed anyone) - but I'll take it anyway. I was really in the zone and my training times the last three weeks have been going steadily down, so who knows. I added what you suggested to my training regimen - spending some time each week just free-pumping on bike paths...really helps, so thanks for that too!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Re: Congrats!

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 pm

T Whalen wrote:Rick this may help you with your CGB jones:

http://www.morebeach.com/Cape_Cod_Beach_Cam.html

I hope to get up to Antrim too - seems like a great chance to ride the hill a spread some stoke with the lokes.

Terry
That's the stuff! Nice!

See you in the NH boonies I hope!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:Zigs are faster and grippier than Avalons (trimmed or not) and than the older formula Hot Spots. Don't know about the Black Ops stuff, haven't tried it yet...
The word last weekend was Black ops is equal or better than Zigs - Fluitt and Pirnack were both on them anyway.

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:19 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:Zigs are faster and grippier than Avalons (trimmed or not) and than the older formula Hot Spots. Don't know about the Black Ops stuff, haven't tried it yet...
I don't disagree with you I just don't like the feel of the Reflex Thane at speed. Black Ops thane Hotspots will probably be my next set of wheels
turns are fun....

T Whalen

Thanks!

Post by T Whalen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 am

Thanks of the advice guys!

I think I am going to go with the 73mm Black Ops - I saw that picture with Fluitt/Pirnack heading for what looked like a photo finish - that clinched it for me. That photo by the way is a great ad for Chapman toe stops (now I just need to rember where I saw it).

What are thoughts on the kick tail boards - a must have?

Rick - I concur with the free pumping - I've been trying to do it every day on a freshly paved bike trail near my house - so I get board time (before I get stuck in work all day -bored time).

Terry

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 am

Tony Peters wrote:I don't disagree with you I just don't like the feel of the Reflex Thane at speed. Black Ops thane Hotspots will probably be my next set of wheels
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding Tony, my post wasn't meant to answer yours. Sorry if it felt like it. I was just expressing what I have experienced for Terry. :D

And my next wheels will be Black Ops thane too. I need to give those a try...

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:
Tony Peters wrote:I don't disagree with you I just don't like the feel of the Reflex Thane at speed. Black Ops thane Hotspots will probably be my next set of wheels
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding Tony, my post wasn't meant to answer yours. Sorry if it felt like it. I was just expressing what I have experienced for Terry. :D

And my next wheels will be Black Ops thane too. I need to give those a try...
Ok no biggy, I've just had bad experiences with Reflex thane wheels while downhilling that I've never had on 3dm/seismic thane. Everybody's got a different different thing they require from their wheels, I like to be able to feel the break loose point and I've never been able to on Zigs...that said Zigs are loads easier to re enguage after sliding than 3dm wheels but you can't have it both ways. Every board I have where speed and turning are important is shod with 3dm/seismic wheels. and it will stay that way for the forseeable future...
turns are fun....

Eric Brammer

KT's rule?

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 am

Hey, Terry, you KNOW how much I value a well-set Cant + Heel-lift on my Snowboards...

Kicktails aren't "a must-have" for Slalom skateboards, but are very Effective in getting the hip to drive forward in the Heel-to-Toe cycle of racing turns. Foam wedges (ala Pocket-Pistols or Sk8kings) added to a 'flat-deck' will work, and have, for me, for a few years now. However, other than S-Camber decks, I think that the day off flat-tailed low-concave decks with moderate flex are done...

The immediate future is in the Amount of Kicktail/Concave offered along with some flex, construction details that add to the thrust, and price value. At the 'high end' would be Gecko (and you Know Martin thought IT through..), or Pavel, with others tagging along with good, usable boards, but stuck with what wood will mold to. Composites of wood and a 'stiffenner' laminate are good values, cost wise, and quite able, but I think that a well-set-up flat-tailed P.P. or Roe would hold it's own (even if it cost more originally...), but the die is cast.

If you aren't running a KT deck, you're doomed to be as slow as Karl is now! :-)
Hmm, that's not that Slow, is it?
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Re: KT's rule?

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Eric Brammer wrote:Hey, Terry, you KNOW how much I value a well-set Cant + Heel-lift on my Snowboards...

Kicktails aren't "a must-have" for Slalom skateboards, but are very Effective in getting the hip to drive forward in the Heel-to-Toe cycle of racing turns. Foam wedges (ala Pocket-Pistols or Sk8kings) added to a 'flat-deck' will work, and have, for me, for a few years now. However, other than S-Camber decks, I think that the day off flat-tailed low-concave decks with moderate flex are done...

The immediate future is in the Amount of Kicktail/Concave offered along with some flex, construction details that add to the thrust, and price value. At the 'high end' would be Gecko (and you Know Martin thought IT through..), or Pavel, with others tagging along with good, usable boards, but stuck with what wood will mold to. Composites of wood and a 'stiffenner' laminate are good values, cost wise, and quite able, but I think that a well-set-up flat-tailed P.P. or Roe would hold it's own (even if it cost more originally...), but the die is cast.

If you aren't running a KT deck, you're doomed to be as slow as Karl is now! :-)
Hmm, that's not that Slow, is it?
EJB - Wait 'til you see what Richy is running on his rear trucks - some sort of plastic or composite "suspension" where there are two (I believe) flat "bars" mounted to the deck forward of the back truck - which extend back under the kicktail and the truck is mounted to the tail end of the "bars" so it has some give/energy return. I didn't get that close a look at it so that is all I can report right now.

Eric Brammer

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:14 am

Rick, you didn't show Richy any of my drawings?? 8-)

I had that idea (well, doodled, not made) two+ years ago, but thought it too difficult to manufacture. Nelson had even mentioned using a +- 10" section on snowboard deck bolted from the mid-section of a skateboard deck out to the mounting of the rear truck, and thus under the kicktail. I was worried with whether the alignment (front truck/rear truck) would, or even could, hold true using bits/parts/pieces, and never put it together to test it. :-(

Anyhow, Gecko's solid-tail seemed to be the better idea, at least from the perspective of laying-up (or pressing) a given deck. And, the whole foot-placement thing seems to be a matter of personal preferrence anyhow, so I think foam-blocks are going to be around awhile. Or until Jeff Caron builds a skateboard Binding! ;-)

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:30 pm

To move the sport forward, I have mounted a set of TD-2's to my skate GS board, and will now be racing in hard boots as well...I have also sharpened the edges of my deck and waxed my wheels. I will not be wearing the silly lycra suit and mittens however.

-RF

PS - In all seriousness, the Gecko is the stiffest setup I've ever been on - zero energy return loss...especially on the rear truck. With the block tail, there is less slop than with a stack of risers. But you already knew that. ;-)

Eric Brammer

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:43 am

Rick, use Tele Boots on those Td's, that'll keep some of the 'free-the-heel' flex and psuedo-surfer feel intact.. NOT! ;-)

BTW, Anyone thinking about physically attaching thier feet to a skateboard to ride is As Loony as I was twentyseven years ago. Don't do this! Peace.

T Whalen

Advice

Post by T Whalen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:44 am

PSR,

Hope all is well with the family!

Thanks for the comments on my question about kicktails. I'll trying adding a second layer of C Block to make a bigger tail wedge until I acquire a kick tail board.

Hopefully my new black ops will also help me out!

Everbody going to Antrim tomorrow have fun - unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it up there.

See you all at the Farm!
Terry

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

2009 New England Outlaw Series!!!

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:30 am

In order to promote our races and encourage multiple attendance I'd like to suggest we organize a race series similar to 2005 farm outlaw series. Series Points for each contest. Put together some prizes for different age groups for end of the year awards, Juniors, 18-45 and masters podiums.

I can think of a couple races could happen?

CT Farm Outlaw?- Joe

Western Mass?- Dr. Dan, Ape suit

Antrim (maybe try to have a smaller race/ clinic if possible?) David

Berlin NH? Tim Cayer

Needham/ Soapbox should happen

Farmageddon? Glenn?

Portland ME- Paul Pellerin?

Ball Mountain Damn?

Sorry if I missed anybody. Let us know if you think you could throw together a contest. Hopefully we can put our heads together about timing equipment, and we can make some of these races happen and grow the local scene. I remember how 2005 was really fun to race the outlaw series.

Anyway that's just my idea and if other people want to get involved I'm willing to do what ever I can to help out- coaching, leg work or timing.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:29 pm

The Terry and Wentzle show on Cape Cod. I expect those freeloaders to finally put on a race.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Jersey Douchebags on June 12-14th
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Wentzle Ruml

Post by Wentzle Ruml » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:The Terry and Wentzle show on Cape Cod. I expect those freeloaders to finally put on a race.
yeah whatever iaco....WR4

Tony Peters

Post by Tony Peters » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:05 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:The Terry and Wentzle show on Cape Cod. I expect those freeloaders to finally put on a race.
gotta have a hill though
turns are fun....

T Whalen

Freeloading

Post by T Whalen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Or some of the those big DHB ramps!

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

Terry

Dave Kirkpatrick

Re: 2009 New England Outlaw Series!!!

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:55 am

Karl Floitgraf wrote:In order to promote our races and encourage multiple attendance I'd like to suggest we organize a race series similar to 2005 farm outlaw series. Series Points for each contest. Put together some prizes for different age groups for end of the year awards, Juniors, 18-45 and masters podiums.

I can think of a couple races could happen?

CT Farm Outlaw?- Joe

Western Mass?- Dr. Dan, Ape suit

Antrim (maybe try to have a smaller race/ clinic if possible?) David

Berlin NH? Tim Cayer

Needham/ Soapbox should happen

Farmageddon? Glenn?

Portland ME- Paul Pellerin?

Ball Mountain Damn?

Sorry if I missed anybody. Let us know if you think you could throw together a contest. Hopefully we can put our heads together about timing equipment, and we can make some of these races happen and grow the local scene. I remember how 2005 was really fun to race the outlaw series.

Anyway that's just my idea and if other people want to get involved I'm willing to do what ever I can to help out- coaching, leg work or timing.

I noticed this thread got a little stale. We set up cones most Sundays here in Antrim. We're still mainly in the "hack" division but we have a couple nice quiet hills picked out, it would be pretty easy to declare some day a RACE and make it something bigger. If anyone wants to talk about that or throw out a date as a suggestion, I'll be more than happy to help get it going - I'm preparing to do that on my own, but some collaboration wouldn't hurt the process!
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:37 am

How about an Antrim Can/Am warmup in late July or late August?

One day - single lane hybrid and tight?

-R

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 am

I love the idea. I need to catch our selectmen to final-OK a few Summer Street days soonish. Cops, neighbors, and Town Administrator are OK with it.

How long do you think road closed to squeeze in some races? 1/2 closed??

Rick Floyd wrote:How about an Antrim Can/Am warmup in late July or late August?

One day - single lane hybrid and tight?

-R

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:39 am

yes, we could leave the cross streets open. That makes it easier for you to get the permission, right? I think we only impact the one family.

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:yes, we could leave the cross streets open. That makes it easier for you to get the permission, right? I think we only impact the one family.
I could close Jameson at the Summer Street end, and post "local traffic only" (or "go around!") from Main turning ONTO Summer, and everyone has access, pretty much. Neighbors affected have nodded to that scenario.

That gives us one lane from just above both cross-streets, plenty of runout - should be enough ya?