Ma, NH, training days.

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun May 16, 2004 3:58 am

What a day today. Fast racing and a tight group. Millie Chapman gets my most improved . She was ripping both courses with accuraccy and was 2x faster than last week. Derek also shot up in speed in a short time. Bryan weasel won both races on pure gilmouresque weasel power. If he starts eating whole foods and lifts some weights he would be unreal. Ben has hands down the best form I;ve seen in a kid. when he gains some weight he will be unstoppable. Jim Seiner put in very fast times as did Joe I and Glen. All tight races. We ran a Hybrid course in a jam session that counted as qualifiers for the duel ts . In the duel we allowed 4 cones hit with the 5th being a dq. No cone penalties, first over the line wins. The start was a " racers ready " with a random "go!" when I felt like it. This is a good way to start as it eliminates anticipation. Terry from the cape was a darkhorse that upsetted the pack to take a third. Derek took 2nd and Joe I 4th. 5th was Ben, 6th jim Seiner and 7th Matt who was ripping untill he smacked his noggin on the tar. 8th was Young HENRY who asked for beer and was denied due to his age. The Woodward girl tribe took the womans honors but is was such a close mom daughter race only they know who really won. Duane from RI lost a wheel and crashed i crashed too and got some nice sunburned rash. Nick was a menace to all and improving steadily. Karl the sausage king was his usual self. Biggie kept getting better through the day. It was all good. See you next Sat. TK

Matthew Wilson

is there a ringing? Do you hear it?

Post by Matthew Wilson » Sun May 16, 2004 4:49 am

Thanks everyone for another amazing day of slalom at Magnolia woods. It was a blast....except for the part when I craked my head on the c'ment. Everyone who got bruises today, please raise you hand and be counted.

Anyway, thanks again for all those who set courses and for the hardcore competition.

Hope to do it again real soon.
slalom is good

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

magnolia

Post by Henry Julier » Sun May 16, 2004 4:53 pm

Thanks for a good time everyone, Magnolia is a great spot with super nice asphalt... but that didnt stop people from pushing it as the wheels were chirping all day.

Karl- I told you that I was getting a ride, so why'd ya wait for me? :)

TK Thanks for the advice. Also I found out when we got back to boston that my chicken offset it LOOSE and the whole axle/arm/axles assembly rotates in the hanger body about a 1/4 of an inch. It was not like that last time I rode... so maybe it gave out on that super squirrely gs run. Who knows. I have to get it fixed regardless.

It was good meeting the new talent in New England. I think Ben (little dude, perfect form) can take it to any other junior in the country and be competetive. His little sister rocks too even though she only comes up to my knee. Karl the sausage king's offset leg was pretty cool, and he was looking right proper on a slalom course after what I can only imagine has ben a bitch of a time in surgery and rehab. Weasel is rediculously fast. Big Derrek looks like Chicken and skates like him too. There were some other guys who also were skating really well but I'm bad with names. Oh yeah- Duane- I've never seens a wheel fly off a board like that before in a race... thanks for giving me the opportunity to see that. And Joe Iacovelli would have been faster than me if his body was functioning. To compensate he dressed like an extra in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome and the gimmick worked untill he started skating. Just kidding Joe!

Lisa And Katii provided two of the closest races of the day, they have some sweet Roe/Radikal setups now so nothing's holding them back from world domination. Form and confidence wise the two (and Elisa too) have come lightyears from when they tried to surf through the slalom course at Deerfield about a year ago! Really awesome to see the improvement and dedication.

i apoligize for typos

h

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun May 16, 2004 7:18 pm

I just uploaded the videos. They are all here http://www.slalomspot.com/video.html

BTW I hope everyone likes the new Slalomspot design.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Mon May 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Here are some photos I took. Due to the quality of the camera and my horrible photography skills alot did not come out good. Here they are anyway, I cropped most of them for size and easy viewing. There is also a zip file for anyone who just wants them all. I apologize once again, If you were there and not photographed it's either because I didn't get a good shot or I was elsewhere while you were flying through the cones.

http://seinfeld.arrowstreet.com/slalom/magnolia/

http://seinfeld.arrowstreet.com/slalom/ ... slalom.zip 2.4MB

Thanks for all the slaloming tips and to everyone who let me ride their skates . I'm hooked

Matthew Wilson

Thanks for the photos and vids

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon May 17, 2004 4:26 pm

Hey, thanks, Matt and Karl for posting photos and vids. They are great learning tools.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon May 17, 2004 5:03 pm

What a great time Saturday. It was great seeing everyone again, I didn't think we could top the first week, but man was that perfect. I look up at the weather reports I posted here and realize how little a clue they have. Everybody was fast on Saturday and it's obvious how much of a help these races are. All three Chapmans were lightning fast as always and Millie was running super clean. Karl is obviously getting his sea legs back, and Biggie with huge progression every 10 minutes. I would not want to run into the Slalom Spot Crew in a dark alley. The sight of young Ben flying down the hill arms swinging with black gloves on makes me want to run away and hide. Jim great meeting you too, the park skating session this week is on. Duane with the nightmare equipment break showing us some College Hill Providence speed. Henry ripping and trying to dip into Grandpa Tk's old cough medicine. Joe I and Nick, the father son one two punch. Joe, great seeing you again and thank you so much for lending me that dvd. It has TK crushing all competition at the 2002 High Plains Drifter if anyone hasn't seen it. I predict that The Weasel will be going down soon. He can't hide behind his Slalom Spot crew forever. Terry great meeting you, hopefully I'll see you on June 19th down your way. Just make sure you don't do any more practicing. I need you rusty. Matt Wilson, I have a skate and destroy sticker for you next time. Nothing like pushing it until you crash. You also reminded me that I should start wearing my Giro Switchblade. Matty Slim also making an appearance with the homemade board and progressing huge in one day. As always Lisa and Katii fierce competitors. Next time TK you need to skate all races.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon May 17, 2004 5:07 pm

oh yeah, great photos and videos guys. I especially love the one of Bryan and Duane bombing the hill and seeing that white car coming up to commence the screaming fit.

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Mon May 17, 2004 5:30 pm

Great day on Saturday. No sign of rain all day. Everyone looking faster than I remember. Big congrats to Bryan the Weasel. Lots of improvement since the last time I raced him in the Fall. Looks like I have to catch up to him now. But young blood is good, slalom needs it. I agree that Ben Chapman has super smooth form, you don't want to race him, he just makes you look bad. Good to see Joe I make the trip as well as the Woodman girls. The Mom and daughter race was priceless, Lisa had the most intense race face on the course as they raced neck and neck. Good to meet you Derreck, we will have to do some bowl riding soon. The Henry vs Matt races were classic, each fighting it out. Matt hope you are OK after the spill, drink some more wine and you will be better. Joe I you surprised me with your speed, made me push myself a lot harder. Heal that shoulder up soon and be ready for Paris.

Thanks TK for running to show. Finally we got a good New England scene going. Best of all we got some kids that are ripping, showing no fear, and ready to take the slalom scene in storm.

Duane Delaney

Great time at Magnolia

Post by Duane Delaney » Mon May 17, 2004 10:55 pm

It was nice to see some of you again, and meet many of you for the first time. For those who have never seen a wheel fly off, it is better to spectate in that particular circumstance. It used to be more common in the days of soft red Kryps with no bearing seats. I figure I have a 50% chance that I cracked my scaphoid bone in my wrist, we'll wait and see. That's the first time I've skated without my slide gloves this year, it figures I'd crash for the first time in along time, just then. Oh well, the hangers have been sent off to the Geez, no more internally threaded axles for me. See y'all next time if family considerations allow

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Tue May 18, 2004 2:34 pm

so anyone planning riding next saturday afternoon

Terry Whalen

First Magnolia Session

Post by Terry Whalen » Wed May 19, 2004 5:21 am

Had a great time riding with everybody on Saturday - awesome location!

Special thanks to TK for all the mentoring/timing support and adding a fun racing structure to a casual afternoon. Also, Thanks to Joe I for motivating me to make the trip up from the Cape - It was worth it!

Derek send me an email before you come down to the Cape and we can set up some cones.

Lisa Woodward

Holiday weekend

Post by Lisa Woodward » Tue May 25, 2004 10:31 pm

Looking to slalom this weekend. Any interest?

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue May 25, 2004 11:27 pm

Well I am going away and I know bryan is also going away for the holiday weekend.

FYI- memorial day weekend is a big weekend for soccer, usually tournaments everywhere. Magnolia Woods is a really bad idea, you will be knee deep in Soccer mom's.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Bryan Werner

Post by Bryan Werner » Wed May 26, 2004 4:39 am

yea i'm out for this weekend, but i am definantly up for the next if anyone wants to skate.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Wed May 26, 2004 2:09 pm

i am up for skating this weekend i dont know what day you guys are planning on . . .

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed May 26, 2004 3:32 pm

Saturday and Sunday look OK on the weather so far. I'd be up for something, but I may be tight on time.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed May 26, 2004 4:53 pm

Just talked to Glenn, Saturday 3PM it's on. Mostly Sunny and 72 is what I'm hearing now. Who's coming?

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed May 26, 2004 5:57 pm

Millie, Ben and I will be there on Saturday. I hope you all can make it, if you need a ride from the train station (West Gloucester) let me know. After reading Karl's post about Memorial day soccer tournaments we should just skate on the pathways, we will have to save the roadway bomb runs untill soccer is over. Parking could be a problem, there are signs that say no parking on the street, just drop your stuff off and park in the lot.

Lisa Woodward

Saturday

Post by Lisa Woodward » Wed May 26, 2004 9:44 pm

Glen, any chance someone might be there in the early am, 3:00pm is alittle late for us. if not thats ok we can always make it another weekend.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu May 27, 2004 4:08 am

I'll show at 12:00 if lisa gives me a back rub.

Lisa Woodward

Saturday

Post by Lisa Woodward » Thu May 27, 2004 12:50 pm

Yikes! 12:00 it is.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu May 27, 2004 1:25 pm

Ben has a baseball game at 12:00. We will be there as soon as it is over. See you guys on Saturday.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri May 28, 2004 6:05 pm

I just got booked teaching a 12 :00 class so no backrub for me. I will be there @ 2:00 and will stay till 6 or 7 depending on intrest. I say we work on GS tomorrow. TK

PS, I still have completes for sale as well as parts.

Bryan, thanks for the nice email regarding the package I sent you. It makes me feel good to know you appreciate it.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri May 28, 2004 9:43 pm

If anyone has any complete boards that you could loan out please bring them along. Ty, Ryan and Paul may be coming with us. Windy (he has his own board)is also planing on being there as well. We are still planing on getting there around 2:30-3:00. If there is enough interest we could do a cookout at my house after riding. I would do the typical burgers and dogs sort of thing. Bring a swim suit if you want to use the hot tub. I just need a head count to get food. My house is about 20 mins. from the riding hill and 3 mins. from 128.

Elisa Campbell

Post by Elisa Campbell » Sat May 29, 2004 12:23 am

Hey. Looks like I'm actually making it up this time. We'll be at the beach up until we skate at 2:00. Anyone up for teaching me how to surf?
Elisa

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sat May 29, 2004 12:29 am

Damn it Elisa I told you I had to teach a class! You better not be cheating on me.

Elisa Campbell

Post by Elisa Campbell » Sat May 29, 2004 1:51 am

No worries TK you're the only one . . .that is unless someone beats ya to it.
Elisa

Matthew Wilson

sorry I missed it

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon May 31, 2004 3:20 pm

Hey, dudes and dudettes,

Sorry I missed this Saturday with you all. I hope it was awesome. Wish I could have been there.

Anyway, I am at work on this Memorial Day. The sun is shining and my deck is at home wishing for concrete. BUMMER!!

Have a great Memorial Day, and I hope to catch up with all of you at the next outing.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:31 pm

Saturday turned out to be a great day and we had the entire park to ourselves. We arrived to the gate locked which was perfect. We parked down bottom and set courses wherever the heck we wanted. The boardercross made its debut and was a blast. We had some near crashes and some rider contact being made. The only thing missing was the whole crew, you were all there in spirit. Elisa the wind was all wrong for surfing anyway, no loss.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:11 am

anyone up for a ride on sunday the 6th?

Bryan Werner

Post by Bryan Werner » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:48 am

well i am not sure about sunday but i am definantly up for saterday if anyone is interested.

Matthew Wilson

Saturday looks gorgeous

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:03 pm

Hey, anyone up for some skating on Saturday?? The weather looks great. Sunday looks a little sketch in the afternoon.

My new Roe needs some real breaking in. I have only taken it out a couple of time so far. Blame the rain.

Anyway, what do folks think?
slalom is good

Lisa Woodward

Skate

Post by Lisa Woodward » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:22 pm

Matt,

The girls and I really want to skate this weekend and saturday seems like the better day. Is anyone interested in coming to CT? We have a good hill in front of our house, If not we will road trip it to MA again.

Duane Delaney

Saturday speedboard race in York Maine

Post by Duane Delaney » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:31 pm

Just a reminder that there is a speedboard and luge race put on by Tim Cayer and folks at GSI. It will be in York, Maine Sat June 5 with morning practice and racing starting just after noon. For details directions etc. www.gravitysportsinternational.com Some of the best Canadian and California skaters will be there. If you haven't had the pleasure of watching a full-bore downhill race, give it a try. York is 1 hour from Boston, 2 from Providence.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:32 pm

I'm pretty booked this weekend unfortunately. I could maybe swing an afternoon on Sunday, but the weather doesn't look too good then. Have fun all who go to Gloucester.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:40 am

If I ride tommorrow it will be late. Ben has a school commitment in the morning and is off with friends in the afternoon and Millie has softball practice. Lisa, we would love to come down sometime and skate with you but I don't think we can make it this weekend. Derek give me a call if you want to ride tommorow. I could be there around 5:00. We may be able to skate on sunday if the weather holds.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:04 am

Duane was right- sick technical course, almost too steep and tech for standup- people super extended riding outside of the evelope-

not to be missed for next year. Huge gaps between racers showed the skills that made the gaps possible. I'll give the clips to Karl to post on slalomspot.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Matthew Wilson

sorry I missed sny skating

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:35 pm

hey, all. Sorry to have missed any slalom or the downhill race in ME. Things got crazy this weekend.

Hope to get out there with you all soon.
slalom is good

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:44 pm

John, sorry to have missed you on Saturday. I went up and spectated for the morning practice runs but had to get out of there around noon. I was very impressed with the stand up guys riding abilities. The good guys were very good, with controlled 4 wheel drifts through 180 deg turns. I would have liked to seen how the times for the best standup riders compared to the luge riders. Through the technical sections some of the stand up guys looked faster. I would go up and watch again next year. If you like skateboarding, it is a great thing to see.
I am going to try and skate Magnolia woods on Wednesday lunch. I may also ride sometime next weekend.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:13 pm

TK and I are skating today lunchtime if anyone's interested. This weekend looks like a go for me as well. Who's interested in this weekend?

Elisa Campbell

Post by Elisa Campbell » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:49 pm

I might be up for some skating this weekend. It's been a long time for me. I've got ACTs on Saturday morning, but thats all. Hope to see you all soon.
Elisa

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:36 pm

I hope to stop by. I'm haveing a deck made but it might not be ready. I retired my crooked truck, ugly, homemade 1st try slalom board because it was awful. :o)

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:31 pm

I'll be in New Haven Sunday. Is Henry around? Do the Woodwards, Yacko, want to skate with Sandy and Me?

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:28 pm

Anybody up for Magnolia on Sunday?

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:53 pm

I can skate on Saturday afternoon. I can be up at Gloucester at 1:30 if there is any interest.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:57 pm

Unfortunately I could only do Sunday. Looks like a Newburyport skatepark day.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:20 pm

It looks like it is on for Sunday afternoon. Derek will be there at 5:00 and Ben, Millie and I will be there as soon as baseball is over. We will skate untill it is to hard to see. I hope some more of you can make it.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:43 pm

Grant, Wilson, slalom spot, everyone. I'm calling you all out. 5 on Sunday till dark. Come on now.

Matthew Wilson

I wish

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:27 pm

Hey, all. I am helping my best buddy move on Sunday in Maine. So I will not be able to slalom with you fine people this weekend.

Criddle a cone for me.
slalom is good