Need some pointers and a session

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Matt Grant

Need some pointers and a session

Post by Matt Grant » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:38 pm

I'm just getting started with skateing slalom. I have a skate that is a homemade deck with some 3dm Cambria and some no name trucks that I've been tuning. I've been skateing for quite a few years and have been longboarding for about 4-5 of those. I've never run cones and would like to give it a try. I'd also like to try a professional slalom rig, to see what I'm missing.

If anyone is interested I'm usually available on the weekends because when I get out of work it's dark and kind of dangerous to skate. I'm also located in Salem,MA but will travel north if need be.

Thanks

Matt

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:03 pm

Come on don't you want to try my custom homemade rig.

Thanks to Glenn S I got the skate tuned pretty good

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:09 pm

Patience young jedi, all will be revealed in due time.

Seriously Matt,

I'm in Central CT with Nick, Lisa, Katii, and Elisa. Whalen and Wentzle are on the cape, TK is in Rye, NH, there are plenty of people around and we will be skating.

A guy named Derek Smith has been in touch about a hill in Ipswitch.

The North shore is going to be hot this year, just give us a chance to thaw out.

Joe

That's one ugly board.

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the scene. I hope to meet these folks eventually : )

An ugly guy needs an ugly board.

Matt

Derek Smith

new board

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:37 pm

Hey guys, Matt, Joe, etc. I finally got my roe unlimited today and can't wait to set it up tonight. It's on!! Some weekend in the coming weeks I'd like to get everyone together and set a course in Ipswich for both longboarding and slalom. Hopefully we won't get busted! Anyway, it would be good to get the whole North Shore longboarding community together somewhere, and hopefully turn some of them on to slalom. I'm guessing that we could russle up 10 people or so. Hey Matt, Rye Airfield and Newburyport this past weekend were empty. Newburyport was completely dry with only about 5 kids who were just sessioning the rail. Later

Joe Iacovelli

session

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:46 am

I've been out of town, in Orlando today, but if you want to come to Nortern CT tis weekend, I've ot a killer spot. Saturday morning or early afternoon session?

Got pistols, roe, turners, Ick, pvd's and radikals to try.

Joe

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:53 pm

Joe,

Unfortunately I have to go to the Cape this weekend, but I'd be up for that some weekend soon. Hey, I set my board up with a 1/2"riser in the back and an angled one in front. Does this sound good or should I put smaller risers on?

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:27 pm

Man I want to go too, but I got to much crap to take care of this weekend.

Hey Derek when we meet up again you could try my skate, it has an angled riser in the back as well as the front. Both are pointing to the nose. It might not be as stable as yours as its homemade and the trucks are peiced together from random stuff I had. Eventually I'll get some new equipment.

Later
Matt

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:53 pm

You guys should go, Joe is THE MAN!

AND, he has seriously cool stuff to ride!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Boston area slalomers

Post by Jim Siener » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:36 pm

Whenever this rain stops I will be getting on my board and running some cones. Glen, let us know when you do sessions up in Beverly, that is a killer hill. Derek, and Matt, I live in Boston and run cones at the Arbortem and a few other goods spots close by, usually with Matt Wilson. I am up for any sessions that are happening. Maybe Gilmour can come out and give us some pointers while he is on crutches.

Go see Joe if you can, he's got the stuff.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:22 am

My Kids are in Jackson this weekend doing the Luna SL. I just got back from England and would like to ride tomorrow. If anyone is around let me know. I will check this thread tomorrow at 10am.

Derek Smith

Gloucester

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:40 pm

Hey Matt, Glenn, Joe, Jim,

How about some racing 2 weekends from now. May 8 or 9. After the gathering my wife and kids are staying down there for a week as my wife's sister just bought a house down there. I may be available to hit your hill as I'll have time to spare Joe. Perhaps an Arboretem session Jim? Either way, Newburyport every afternoon and Rye Airfield a few of the nights too Matt. Definitely a Beantown street longboard session too. A man with his wife and kids away for a week is a dangerous thing.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:42 pm

forgot to add Matt,

Doug and I are Rye Airfield bound for the 6-9 session tonight, although I know it's a pain in the ass for you. Shoot me a message if interested.

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:26 pm

Derek, I think I could do a session Sunday the 8th, will know better around that time. How are getting down to the Gathering? I went last year but this year am busy but still would like to go if I could hook a ride with someone and make it a cheap and fast trip.

Also your trips to Rye sound cool, I've been once there and want to learn how to carve a bowl before I get too old to learn.

Matthew Wilson

Let's get rollin'

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:29 pm

OK, the weather is oficially warm enough for slalom for sure. Now we just need a decent dry spell.

LET'S SKATE!!

Hey, if weather is good this Saturday, May 1, 2004, are folks up for getting together????

Here's my phone: 617-281-8746
and email: matt (at) vasocreta.com
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Jim,

I am actually going down with the wife, my 2 sons, and my mother in law. I'm then flying back on Monday as my wife and kids are staying down there at her sisters new house for a week. I'd definitely be up for a slalom session on the 8th though. Myself and another "old man" go to either Rye Airfield or the Newburyport skatepark at least once a week. We went to Rye last night as it was raining in Newburyport (it's outside) and it was empty. Great time. Send me your email to dsmith@toccocorp.com and I'll let you know when we're going next week. The Newbuyport park is actually as good if not better than Rye. Rye is a godsend in the winter though. Later

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:34 pm

I'd be very interested in some slaloming on the 8th or 9th of May. This upcoming Saturday I'm busy helping a family member move(if my back gets better) but Sunday I'd like to skate anything or everything, i'm not picky. I get no internet or e-mail on the weekends so if anyone would like to skate with the slow kid my number is 978 744 5271.

Matt G.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:40 pm

what'd you do to your back? Don't let this guy fool you guys, he's fast like the wind. Anyone who does ollie disasters on a 44" longboard at Newburyport is one to be feared. He gets no head starts. I don't trust that homemade board either. That thing will need to be inspected before race time. I think I saw an engine in that thing.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:51 pm

The gathering is the newbie mecca- go there.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Matthew Wilson

agree

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:02 pm

If you can get to the Gathering, then go! It will be awesome. I can't make it this year, but I had a blast last year.

On another note, I am going to do my best to get the 8th or 9th open so that maybe some of us in MA and NH can get together and skate.

Let's try and make it happen!
slalom is good

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:54 pm

Derek Smith wrote:what'd you do to your back? Don't let this guy fool you guys, he's fast like the wind. Anyone who does ollie disasters on a 44" longboard at Newburyport is one to be feared. He gets no head starts. I don't trust that homemade board either. That thing will need to be inspected before race time. I think I saw an engine in that thing.
Don't laugh, I think I messed my back up bringing 3 cats to the vet. at once. They are all over weight and I think I picked the carriers up wrong. Yeah, don't give me any head starts I've already run cones once, that should be enough. right? I was quite impressed at my homemade boards performance considering the front truck is crooked :o) ...and I didn't even fall off.

UPDATE: My back is 100%, I knew a curb session with some speedy slappys and manuals would fix things.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue May 04, 2004 5:17 pm

Newburyport tonight and Thursday if you want to re-injure that back for the weekend Matty. Before you know it you'll be like me with the weight lifting belt on under your clothes. I want to run cones on Saturday and Sunday if possible.

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Tue May 04, 2004 6:32 pm

Hey Derek I probably won't be able to make either of those Newburyport sessions. I definetly want to run cones this weekend, Saturday would be best for me. I'd even like to skate some bowls too, my back is all better but now I'm sporting holes in my knees from many nice falls this past week.
Sunday is mom's day and I got sucked into family activities so I might not be able to get away, if I do I'll give ya a call.

How was the trip? Did you fly around any cones?

Matt