Ball Mountain Race, proposed course setup

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Eric Brammer

Ball Mountain Race, proposed course setup

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:17 am

Hey racers, I got to marking down (look for green painted dots) the two G.S. flavored courses up at Ball Mountain Dam.

The "A" course is 50 cones, starts fairly tight, but opens up midway, has a tiny straight-line, then gets into a flow that'll push the gription of your wheels, before snugging down a bit before the Right turn into the parking lot. I didn't need to put a sneaker down at all, but it felt like a good upper-20's speed. Cones are spaced at a bunch of different spacings, but mostly I kept it between 9' and 18'. I kept it in the left lane (looking downhill) so that the tar used will be in the sun, and be grippy throughout.

The "B" course, down by the cul-de-sac, starts just above the parking zone on the left, but zig-zags across two+half lanes with 32 cones. It's just barely open enough for my Comet 40" to squeak through, and with the Roe Bullet, there's only 2-3 spots that a double-pump could fit in. Again, spacing varies, but 12'-20' is the middle range. The course starts on the left, sidewinds to the right, curves left, then spits you out the bottom left side, but with plenty of room to slow down in the loop. Speeds were in the mid-teens, and sticky wheels will help getting across the slope.

My marks are merely guidelines, but please set up on them and run a practice lap or two. If the 'A' course is too slow, just knock the cones inward a bit. With the 'B' course, well, there's plenty of lines available, but keep in mind I scouted the grippier tar spots, and went around the manhole covers. On both courses, coneheads will need to be ready to look past guardrails for 'punched' cones. For Parking, I suggest the Lot by the Garage (towards the rear of the lot), though it may be prudent to have a car or two parked down on the hill above the cul-de-sac (by the green signs) just to 'lay claim' to that part of the hill. Oh, and you'll also want to ask people Not to park in the Loop, as that's where you'll be slowing down!

Sorry I won't be there this time, but that just means we'll have to have another go at these hills! ;-)

BTW, would someone 'in charge' please toss up the time/dates here so that those scooting up here know when to meet up?

Also, does anyone have Steve Prue's e-mail addy? If so, would they please ask him to post up a few pics of The Dam for us? Thanks in advance...

Oh, and does anyone need directions from the New York side? My previous driving help supposed people coming in from the South/East from I-91. I can also help with some info on nearby B+B/Inns if needed. Just ask. I'll check back here Sunday Night with names/directions of a few good longboarding hills that're nearby for those who might want explore a bit.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm

I'd appreciate some directions from the NY side. Thanks.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:51 pm

i would also like directions from the NY side.........Albany region to be more precise. would mapquest be good for this or is it too vague?

BTW: course B sounds very nice......i can't wait to hit it up, right now i have a 25 cone course setup up the road with spacing ranging from 5 to 14 feet :)
No vestido para mi