RACES AND PRACTICE

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

RACES AND PRACTICE

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Sat May 06, 2006 2:20 am

;;
Last edited by Curt DeBartolo on Wed May 24, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Parrish

You can skate on zat side or on zat side....

Post by Dan Parrish » Sat May 06, 2006 6:23 am

Hey, who was hitting the cones?
Certainly not ME!

Guys, please, go AROUND THE CONES!

Thank you.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Course Setting for multi level races

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sat May 06, 2006 7:05 am

I always want to encourage beginners, just today I went to post up a poster for the race in a pizza shop window. When I show them the poster I met this guy in his 20s working there who turns out to be a avid longboarder. He's got a couple sector 9s at different lengths. He's going to come to the race now, I deffinately want to encourage people to try slalom and I want everyone to have a positive experience. I do not want people to double dq their first race, it blows. Although at the same time I want the course to be enjoyable for skaters who do skate slalom. Competition should be a step up. For those people who enjoy challenging courses, travelling long distances for a course any one isn't so much fun either.

So these are all things that I have been thinking over in considering exactly what kind of course to set. I am confident I can find a middle ground where a beginner has a good chance and an intermediate can really open up. I haven't crossed out the option of A/B courses. No qualifying, you'll register with one.

No matter what I've got several people coming to specifically pick up cones. So everything shall run smoothly.

Curt

Deffinately come next friday. We're not loosening shit. Fast tech hybrid. Friday 5/12 5:30 Arboretum.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Sat May 06, 2006 3:24 pm

;;
Last edited by Curt DeBartolo on Wed May 24, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Sat May 06, 2006 7:49 pm

i dunno what are you talking about dude. none of us dq on sunday race.

now seriously. Its a good thought, cause you also are helping everybody to improve themselves. i reckon that in some races i say "i just go there and try to make the course, i dont have time to practice" last race show me how wrong i was. now i'm practicing again. a race should be a race, not a practice run with points for the winners.

ALSO, it will be faster if we all help to conehead on our way up. we all want to go up to the start line specially on practice runs. BUT when we are racing we can take our time to go back to the start line. I am always in that dilemma, of helping to conehead and try to take pics of EVERYBODY, so we all get a picture of us racing (very helpful when u want to analize yourself) so my way to do it its to go up 5 cones everytime a rider runs the course.

just my thoughts

Leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Sun May 07, 2006 12:39 am

Great points Leo.

Troy Smart

Post by Troy Smart » Sun May 07, 2006 1:28 am

How about if no one practices?

You people who practice are ruining it for everyone else.

Just say no to practice.

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Sun May 07, 2006 5:41 am

How about if no one practices?

You people who practice are ruining it for everyone else.

Just say no to practice.
I have a better idea.

What about, glueing the cones to the road, or better yet, NO cones!!!

Leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 am

How about

Russian Slalom Roulet:
One of every 7 cones will have a brick under the cone. Go ahead hit a cone ;).
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun May 07, 2006 2:13 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:How about

Russian Slalom Roulet:
One of every 7 cones will have a brick under the cone. Go ahead hit a cone ;).
i'll just bring my 72a 101mm flywheels ;)
No vestido para mi

Glenn Garbett

Post by Glenn Garbett » Tue May 09, 2006 7:43 pm

i think another good way to pratice of just stay with it isnt even slalom but skating a bowl but doing little kick turns as possible. i was at skaters edge in tuanton mass on sunday night and i just skated the snowman shaped bowl the whole time i was there trying to see how many times i could go around it and alls i did was pump of every possible bump and now my stomach and calves are wicked soar. also since i started slaloming i can skate a bowl alot better. so basicly i think its good to try to skate all year around. since i have a car now i skated as mush this winter as i would in the summer but i didnt do much slalom but i havent lost it either. im probaly better then last summer so basicly just go skate
MAD MADNESS

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue May 09, 2006 8:02 pm

I think it would be good if you and your friends set the course before race day and went out and practiced it over and over again until it bacame second nature.

You would probably hit less cones then.

Glenn Garbett

Post by Glenn Garbett » Tue May 23, 2006 6:51 pm

curt since we live mad close to each other we should skate alot more together. Also the mike r and dave(bald with glasses) we wanna introduce slalom to westerly abd we could use your help. 7ply downtown westerly wich you probaly been to is now selling abec 11 wheels and is gona start sellning khiro stuff
MAD MADNESS

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Wed May 24, 2006 2:54 am

Glen...my cell is 518.429.5961
Its really hard to find time..its there but at wierd times. I usually head to the kingston train station and sprint pump 3-4 miles on the bike path...no cones. You will just have to keep pestering me and one of the times were bound to hit an open area of freetime to run cones. 7 ply needs some slalom gear..I will head down their soon

Glenn Garbett

Post by Glenn Garbett » Thu May 25, 2006 6:46 pm

hey curt ill probaly try u this weekend and on sat im halfing all my freinds come and skate my halfpipe becuase its gonna be the last session on it becuase the insurance company found out and is forcing us to take it down so that would be a deacent way to introduce it to some kids we could throw summin down on the rhode in front of my house or jsut go somewhere and IF ANY ONE WANTS A 6 FT HALF PIPE ITS YOURS FOR JUST 500 BUCKS
MAD MADNESS