what fun!

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Andrew Wolfe

what fun!

Post by Andrew Wolfe » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:37 pm

I brought my son to check out the race in Antrim. We both had a great time, and I can't wait to get out and try some more. Thanks to all who offered advice and encouragement, and especially to Dan for the use of his Ick Stick. Joe was kind enough to say he'd ask around about used boards.
Anyone on this forum in southern NH? I will let you know if I come up with any stellar spots to ride/race. I know a few that will be good for practice, at least.

- Andrew

Dan Parrish

antrim

Post by Dan Parrish » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:09 am

Andrew, WELCOME!
I, had a great time in Antrim and was really impressed by the reception. Not all our races are like that though. Unaffiliated spectators and closed roads are for select races. Usually the more low-key the better. No complaints means no cops, no cops means we get to finish a race.
We had skateboarders in a freakin PARADE! -- and grandmas cheering for us.
Unreal.

Anyway I glad you enjoyed it! I had fun coaching the beginner race, seeing people really getting excited catching on to the flow for the first time; It brought me back to when I was learning a *few* years ago. You could obviously step up and race with us without much effort. You might want a different deck though.... If you are interested, digging through the posts on this and the other site can give you a wealth of information on the sport and equipment is traded or sold fairly cheaply here as well. If you are looking for advice on what to get, feel free to post a question, or contact me. I'll help with what I can.

See you at the races....

Andrew Wolfe

Post by Andrew Wolfe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:17 pm

No, I don't think the big red machine would be all that competitive in a race. I contacted Joe I, and he graciously offered to seek out what I need (everything but bearings, pretty much)... I already have a couple good practice spots, one of which (a road along the edge of a local industrial park) might work nicely for racing, tho it's not the greatest surface I've ever skated. I hope to get geared up at least in time to make the last local event of the season, heard talk of something out in Gloucester sometime around turkey day...