October.......we need another "finale" race

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

October.......we need another "finale" race

Post by Adam Daniels » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:28 pm

who has ideas for an october race? it would be super sweet to hit up the dam again, but i hear its hard to get it right now?

needham? you guys got anything up your sleeves?

i would be happy to try to put something together, but my area lacks a prime location for a race

anyone?

and video for this is a no brainer.......it must be a No Time to Hate Production! (i got a perfect song too)
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Final Fling

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:12 am

Adam, I concur, A 'last run' before the winter months Is needed. The Dam is still good-to-go, but will start showing signs of Autumn pretty soon here. Wet leaves on the G.S. hill suck... But the area down by the dam crossway (near the ledges) will still be runnable for a few more weeks. After Columbus Day, forget it, as it'll be all locked up.
I know I've been out of the scene this summer, as my studying for the Machinist Apprenticeship took everything else right off my calendar. but , I passed, and am gainfully employed at a great company, and Have Weekends again. So, I'll be where-ever a last race is, as long as it's less than four hours from me. I'm Jonesin' to race a little!
The Dam is great, and has been way underused this year. However, there's other great spots, just ask J.G., he's still got a good list.
One more thought; Has anyone talked to a Ski Area (like Killington, Okemo, Stratton, Mt. Snow) about using a roadway section for a day? All of the above have places of relatively new, or brand new, tarmac on nice pitches that would be great to employ, if used Before Leaf-Peeping Season kicks in.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Paul Pellerin

Dam Final

Post by Paul Pellerin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:08 am

Adam,

We are working on this race. I'll be making calls tomorrow and Eric will follow up at the beginning of next week. We will keep you posted.

In the meantime keep your weekends free and STAY TUNED..........

There is still lots of racing in the northeast before the snow flies.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:31 am

sweet.......as long as we get notice before hand, so i can ask for the day off from work
No vestido para mi

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:24 am

I think a TS race and/or practice session will probably go down here in CT. We've got a nice spot that:
a) is right off the highway
b) has real nice pavement
c) a decent pitch but isn't really steep, so it'd be great for TS
d) is basically dead/vacant on weekends

Stay tuned...

Paul Pellerin

Dam Final Race

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:46 am

Good News!!!

I called Phil, the man in charge of the dam, the other day. No one was in, but I was able to leave a detailed message regarding the race. Well, he called my office Sat. afternoon and left a message. He indicated Sherry had called a while back and requested Columbus Day weekend Friday-Sun or Oct. 6th - 8th. They start closing the park/campground down on Oct. 9th as the pipes start to freeze. The park itself is open after this date, but not on weekends. PSR thinks we may have a chance to use the park after this date, but the campground is closed as well as the public restrooms. Additionally, we would have to arrange for a park ranger to unlock the gates. It sounded like Phil would rather have us prior to the parks closing and this may not even be an option. He said to call back on Monday to confirm and discuss the details. I will call on Monday and PSR will follow up as well.

Based upon this info, I think it is pretty safe to say the DAM RACE is a go and it will be held on Columbus Day Weekend. Once the details are worked out a sign-up sheet will be posted on NCDSA.

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:22 pm

Sick! We all appreciate you putting some work in to make this happen, Paul. I hope to ride with you all at the Dam again this year. Last year, the fall race at the Dam was my first race and it'd be awesome to celebrate the anniversary.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:46 pm

that would be sick totally sick for the weekend of the 7th.......for it's my birthday and the sooner the better because of the wet roads
No vestido para mi

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 am

Since the Dam looks like it's going to be on the weekend of October 7-8, look for a tight slalom jam in Connecticut on either October 14-15 or 28-29... more likely the latter of the two.

Paul Pellerin

Dam Final

Post by Paul Pellerin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:34 pm

IT'S ON!!!

I just spoke with Phil Morrison at the Dam. He gave us permission to race Oct. 7th & 8th. Because you all behaved so well last year, he decided to wave the permits etc... Good Job Everyone - Less Red Tape - Thank You. At this late date, we most likely would not have made the permit process in time.

A sign up sheet will be posted on the other site within a day or two.

More details will follow but here is the tentative schedule:

Sat: Practice 10:00-12:00 & Race 12:00-4:00

Sun: Practice 9:00-11:00 & Race 12:00-3:00

The courses will depend on the leaves and wetness of the hill.

Stay tuned for details.....

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:50 pm

May I make a suggestion that we have one nice GS and the other course be a some what technical hybrid that you can really haul on?

I just want to go fast.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Paul Pellerin

Dam Final

Post by Paul Pellerin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:43 pm

No!!! No you can not!!!

Remember, you all ready had your race this year. So you have no say.

Actually, these are the types of courses we have discussed for this race. We definately want two distinct courses. However, it really depends on the conditions at the time of the race.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:43 pm

sweet! my birthday!!!!!!!

can't wait to race!

i agree with karl on the courses.......sounds sweet! but also agree about conditions, we don't want carnage as our finale
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Dam suggestions..

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:45 am

Karl, I'll take your wants under advisement, BUT, as things are, we'll be setting what'll work for the road conditions. Being Autumn, there's things to consider here, like available sunlight (this far North, it's very noticable),leaves from trees (as it's Foliage season), and Tourist traffic. So, don't Expect the upper hill above the garage to be of much use. If it's usable, I'll use it. If not, we go down closer to the Dam and cul-de-sac. Nice thing about the lower hill is width. If we get two timing strips (and enough cones), alternate laned side-by-side T.S. is a good possibility. A G.S. is also very doable there, and this year, I won't cater to newbies, so wear foot-braking shoes for that.

More on just what I'll try for later, once I can get back to the Dam to look it over. I should be able to look it over this weekend.

One last bit here... Campers, call or use online reservationing to get in at the ArmyCorp campground sooner rather than later. For those not wanting to 'bunk out' in tents/campers/Rv's, note that there's tons of B+B's in the immediate area near Jamaica. I'll try to round up some phone listings for ya'll soon here.

On your way thru, do stop in, or drop a note thanking Phil at the Army Corp. office by the front gate. If he didn't like us, we wouldn't be able to skate there at The Dam. His efforts are appreciated greatly by me personally, but having you guys/gals say 'Thanks' will help tremendously in terms of positive P.R.. :-D

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:12 am

dual TS?!?!?!?!? AWESOME!
No vestido para mi

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:52 am

Paul Pellerin

Dam Race Sign-Up

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:13 am

Hey Karl,

Thank you very much for setting up the sign-up page for this race. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

The courses will be set by John Gilmour and Eric Brammer. Both have vowed to make the courses faster and more difficult than last year's. This will be a great race to stay tuned up for the big race in NC.

Paul Pellerin

Dam Race - Update

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:52 am

I just signed up for this race.

PLEASE NOTE: The info for this race was transferred from last year's race just to get something posted. It indicates that this is an outlaw race and that we do not have permission. WE HAVE PERMISSION FOR THIS RACE THIS YEAR!!!

The sign-up page will be updated later today as well as throughout the week as details are confirmed.

Thank You.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:08 pm

woot woot!

no dual ts? :(
No vestido para mi

Paul Pellerin

Dual TS

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:24 pm

Adam,

As I stated in my post, the contest calendar info was transferred from last year's race. It has not been updated. We just wanted to make the sign-up page available ASAP. Karl will make changes later today. We hope to have a dual TS or tight HB, but it depends on several factors. If the conditions are right and the proper timing system is available there will be a dual TS, for sure.

Expect both courses to be fast and fairly difficult. Happy B-day.

Eric Brammer

Dual TS

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:14 am

It's all marked, and ready, BUT, there's no second timing kit. I surmised that might be an issue, so, my apologies, however, I warned ya all that was a probaility.
The upper slope to the garage is too shaded this time of year (southern-side trees;planetary-seasonal-shift effect) and stays wet (dosen't stay wet in June/July;HINT), so a G.S. will probably run from the garage on down. We'll need a Road Closed sign for that, but I'll see about making one.
Otherwise, things are in place, the road is in great shape, the leaves are turning, and we'll be rockin' it!!
Thanks to all who've chipped in and helped. I'm very grateful and indebted to you.
Thanks to Podium (especially Nick P. and Ross P.) for their support, as that's certainly above and the duty of selling snowboards... :-D

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 pm

Fall in Vermont, the Dam race once again, my one-year slalom anniversary, Adam's birthday, PERMISSION! to race... How could this get any better? I don't think it can.

I'm already way too excited to race. This is going to be awesome.

Eric Brammer

Long range weather

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:38 pm

It looks good for the weekend, temps in the upper 50's Sat, mid 60's Sunday, nite temps will be in the mid-lower forties.

Anyone got a line on a second Timing kit? If so, PM me or Paul Pellerin ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 am

Brian Peck wrote:Fall in Vermont, the Dam race once again, my one-year slalom anniversary, Adam's birthday, PERMISSION! to race... How could this get any better? I don't think it can.
While it can't get much better... it can get a lot worse. I completely forgot about this surprise party we're having for my mom for her 50th birthday. I might be able to make it out on Sunday, but I'm not sure about racing at all :(

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Dam

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Hey Folks.

Just sitting here in Antibes at the Samray household recovering from 3 races in 3 weeks and it looks like the Farm Finally will be a 4 for 4. We fly back to Ottawa on Thursday the 5th. We plan on renting a vehicle to drive down on Friday.

We plan on taking Dan & Gabe as well but will not know till we arrive wether or not they or anyone else will be making the trip with us. I will try to bring an extra timer and leaf blower as well. Someone there will need to provide me with toothpicks to keep my eyes open, LOL.

If there is anything up with the event that we need to know please call our telephone 613_798_7275 and leave a message for us. We brought our computer in for service before we left and will not be able to pick it up till Friday am if at all.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.
Many Happy Pumps!

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 pm

I will try and make it up there but can only possibly come for Saturday. There seems to be some conflicting info. Are you racing both Saturday and Sunday? What events do you plan on running on Saturday, TS, Hybrid or GS (just trying to get a board set incase I get there late)? If I come up you can use my practice timer but it only give times down to .01 sec accuracy, my wire is only 350ft and it only can time a single lane.

Paul Pellerin

Dam Race Final

Post by Paul Pellerin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the confusion. This was a last minute attempt to ensure that we did not let a year slip by without holding a race at the dam. The info on the sign up sheet was transferred from last year. We will be racing both days. Several people have indicated they can only make it for one of the races. So feel free to show up when you can. I'm not sure how the rules work. However, since the race was last minute, I think we need to be fairly flexible in this regard. I have no problem allowing late racers to have a couple of practice runs and allow them the same allotted number of timed runs as all other racers. Also, if a racer needs to leave a bit earlier hopefully we can accommodate that as well.

Tentative Schedule: The courses depend on the conditions at the time of the races.

Sat: G/S or Loose HB Practice 10am-12pm Race 12pm-4pm

Sun: TS or tight HB (hopefully dual if we can obtain the proper timing equipment)
Practice 9am-11am Race 11am-3pm

Courses will be set by John Gilmour and Eric Brammer.

In regards to your timing system, please call or PM Eric Brammer.

Glenn if you have any other questions please call, e-mail or pm Eric or myself.

Thank You.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:07 am

Paul, thanks for the info, I will try and make it for Saturday. I hope to see you all then.

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:28 am

I think I'm on for Saturday as well, possibly with Mike Duquette who will also only be attending on Saturday. Let's get a real nice loose hybrid/GS going on Saturday; I think everybody has fun running courses like those.

Paul Pellerin

Dam Race

Post by Paul Pellerin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:54 pm

We have one timing system cofirmed. Thank you Glenn C.

Claude please bring your timing system and leaf blower. We are still hoping for a dual TS on Sunday.

Please note, we are still trying to confirm what time we have to be out of the park. The park closes at 3pm, but on weekends the gates are not officially locked until dusk or around 6:30pm. They have a park ranger come by to lock the gates. I was told by an employee that it was ok to stay past 3pm. However, I'm trying to confirm this with the person in charge of the Dam.

Thank you all very much for signing up.

So far 27 racers and counting. All of the top contenders from the Antrim Race will be racing on Sat. Additionally, Claude and Adam S. will be in the mix as well. Things are getting interesting.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:33 pm

looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

shall i bring a broom? chalk?
No vestido para mi

Paul Pellerin

Dam Race

Post by Paul Pellerin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:20 pm

Hey Adam,

Yes, the broom and chalk are good ideas. We could use a couple of extra brooms.

Also, does anyone have walkie talkies? If so, please bring them.

Thank you.

Eric Brammer

Addenda items

Post by Eric Brammer » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:14 am

Hey, Adam, thanks for offering with bits + parts; Bring the broom IF you have room. I've got chalk covered, and will bring a sign (road closed for Race), and spray paint to mark dots. Glenn, Thank You on the timing system!!! HUGE favor there. JG is heading up too with extra stuff. Cones I think we've got enough of[?], but extras are welcome (there's room to put up 'practice/warm-up' lanes above the cul-de-sac).

I've room for two wayward souls yet (inflatable mattress/futon, nothing private nor fancy) if there's truly needful wanderer without a place to stay. Just keep in mind I'm an hour out from the Dam, and I leave Early in the A.M...

Again, thanks to everyone who's chipped in to help here! I've not been very avalable, my apologies to the folks helping out. :-( It's also awesome to see how many people decided to Race! Especially with this being put on at the last minute. It's going to be good weather, temps in the mid-60's and sunny. Beware though that it'll be chilly at night (which isn't all bad, as buddying up does make things cozy in a tent) down at the campground.
We'll definately have a good time, and it'll be pretty intense but also should be a relaxed informal event! I'm Stoked! :-D

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:16 am

Bad news guys! :(

My car is out of commission: $800 to repair and can't be done before wednesday. So the 4 members of the Quebec crew (Dan, Julie, Louis, and me) won't be representing this weekend. And we were planning on bringing the complete timer for duals. But I spoke with The Rockin' Rookie this morning and he was still going along with is girlfriend Raylene who was at the Antrim race.

So sorry we won't be there. Have fun! Take pictures and vids please.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:55 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

the year anniversary of the finale won't be the same without you mig

Eric--I can bring extra cones. I got 34 3dm's and after tomorrow night i will have 15 more green seismics (birFday gift)
No vestido para mi

Paul Pellerin

Dam Race

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:33 am

Mig,

Agghhhhh......the whole crew. Sorry to hear the bad news. You and the crew will be greatly missed.

Thank you for trying to make the race.

Adam - you can bring your cones just in case. I like the new green cones - reminds me of the 80's when everything was day-glo.

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:23 pm

Have a great weekend guys. I've also had to back out at the last minute - bummer!

Terry

Eric Brammer

M I A's

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:57 am

Yup, today was classic New England Autumn "perfect"! I'm bummed for all who didn't make it, especially Miguel with the car troubles... Missing ya, Terry!

The main hill was DrY and Glenn + Derek used a bit of creative license to improve on the 'green dot' G.S. course. It Rocked! I actually took out fewer cones on my big Bozi than I did with the Turner Hyb.!?! J.G. helped immensely by doing a lay out of tommorrow's T.S.. I'll be 'fashionably late' tommorrow, and probably can't hang out long, but I'll be there. I've been out soooo long, and not only am SLOW, but had leg cramps after a few runs. Speaking of being slow, where did all the D.H. boards come from? WOW, that was cool to see! You guys need to definately head over to Upper Taylor Hill and bomb that steep, freshly paved hill!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:39 pm

Sooooo... What happend? How did it go? Results? Pics? Vids? How were the courses? Hybrid? Dual TS? GS? Above the garage or lower?

Let us know what we missed. I hate my car right now... :)

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:18 pm

Mig,

You were missed, damn you Subaru!!! I can only comment on Saturday as I had to skip Sunday. We set a hybrid on the big part of the hill and had a great day. I think there were about 15 racers total, so we all got 6+ runs on it. It had the feel of a session more than a race, but there was some definite competitiveness in the air. I think it shook out like this, forgive me if I'm mistaken....

1.Schwippert
2.Pascal
3.El Duque
4.Claude
5.Me
6.B Peck
7.Weasel
8.Karl

The rest I don't remember, and as I said, I may very well be wrong. Brian Peck is getting fast quickly and is going to crush me in the next race, I can feel it. Adam Daniels is also coming on very strong. Everyone looked fast. I can no longer call Pascal "the rookie" as it's too demoralizing to get smoked continually by a guy named the rookie. Sorry you missed it Mig, there's always Farmageddon!! Sign up quickly, we're going to have to cap it at 100!!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:35 pm

Thanks Derek! And I'm definitely considering attending Farmageddon. :D

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:16 am

any word on the results?
No vestido para mi

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

I gave Karl all the results to post with Gesmers spreadsheet

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:54 am

I have no idea of how to post an excel file. someone explain how and I'll post the results up...other than that- Karl will have to do it.

The spread sheet only holds two times- so I just posted the fastest 2 out of all the runs each person took. It actually "looked better" because you don't see so many DQ's

I would like to say that the level of skating I saw there from the kids was truly amazing. I think the West coast might have some problems getting a Junior on the podium. With the McLarens and Schwippert- there won't be any slots left!

Adam D. - I emailed the results to you.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Paul Pellerin

Dam Final Results

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:27 pm

John,

Are the results from the Dam Final going to be posted?

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:02 am

i e-mailed the results to karl...no idea how to post them
No vestido para mi

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:48 pm

I heard Claude has the written times from Saturday... anyone know the deal with those?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:37 am

Well Karl told me yesterday he was posting them by putting up the entire PDF's which I think is a lot nicer than just posting single times...

If Karl doesn't post then in a day or so I'll just post up single times...
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour