River Fire Slalom Slam Jam, October 7th Berlin NH

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Tim Cayer

River Fire Slalom Slam Jam, October 7th Berlin NH

Post by Tim Cayer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Hello racers,

In preparing of making our second attempt at our first slalom race, I wanted to make everyone aware of the festivities happening here in Berlin NH on October 6th.

A few years ago the city decided to hold an event to celebrate it’s heritage and the fall foliage. This event is called River Fire and has continued to grow into a great event attracting visitors from around New England. The day consists of a local fair which includes activities for the family. http://www.berlinnh.gov/Pages/BerlinNH_ ... D=20071006 And concludes with the River Fire. This is when they light on fire about 2 dozen boom piers http://www.newhampshire.com/historical- ... piers.aspx which sit in the middle of the Androscoggin river which itself runs through downtown. This is a unique event and a day of fun and relaxation enjoying the local flavor and entertainment. And don’t forget about the spectacular fall foliage also!

I would encourage anyone who might be considering attending the River Fire Slalom Slam Jam to think about coming up a day earlier to enjoy the namesake of our slalom race. Our hope is to combine our slalom race with River Fire for years to come and make this one of the premier stops on the slalom race circuit.

The community is excited to have you racers here and have been talking about you in the local media for the last few weeks.

Here are a couple links to more event informationhttp://www.gravitysportsinternational.c ... ct2007.htm.

And local accommodations and amenities. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe= ... sults&cd=2

Thank You

Tim Cayer
GSI
603-783-9692
Last edited by Tim Cayer on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Dude Tim You don't have to apologize for anything at all. The needham race is a low key 1 day race. We are stoked that there's another race in New Hampshire. We hope that the races will help each other.

Antrim NH was an example of how good a race can be when communities get involved. I recommend checking this race out soon.

We'll figure out a plan so that there's time for the drive planned into the racing schedule soon.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Brian Beihl

Berlin NH slalom race, May 20, 2007

Post by Brian Beihl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:14 am

Hi, Tim:

Congratulations on the new race. I'm hardly an expert, but I'll try and help in any way I can. To start with, did you want to borrow our ramps? They're mongo and would need a good size flatbed or equipment trailer to move, but they are available provided they're well cared for. I'll try to get up to the race too, and am happy to lend a hand while I'm there.

Brian Beihl
Antrim Chamber of Commerce

Thanks, Karl -- check's in the mail . . . . .
Antrim NH was an example of how good a race can be when communities get involved. I recommend checking this race out soon.
Antrim Home & Harvest Festival
Antrim, NH 03440-00026
www.slalomskateboard.com

Marshall Deming

Post by Marshall Deming » Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 pm

is this race still going on? i haven't seen any updates and there is very little info about the race so far and i am starting to get curious about race details seeing that the race is less than a week away. is there some link providing info that i haven't seen?

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Marshall,

Eric Brassard, a local slalomer, has been in contact with Tim Cayer to help him with the ramps. Apparently the race is on, and ramps are either done or being built (Eric has seen pics). But I must admit that a bit more info would be greatly appreciated...

Quebec Crew will be at the Needham Open on Saturday and in Berlin NH on sunday.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Tue May 15, 2007 2:58 pm

I have also been in contact with Tim and our last conversation was about timers. He soundded like he had everything all lined up. It should be a fun event racing down the main street in a nice small town. I hope that everyone that has a free day on Sunday, will go up and support Tim and his first race. See you all in Needham on Saturday and Berlin on Sunday.

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Thu May 17, 2007 2:47 am

I was all ready to go and race but a last minute obligation at work will most probably keep me on the computer working all weekend, i'm not happy.

Have fun and post pics to torture me.

Tim Cayer

White Mountain Slalom Slam Jam Berlin NH

Post by Tim Cayer » Thu May 17, 2007 3:14 pm

On 5/16/2007 Tim Cayer wrote in from United States (66.65.xxx.xxx)
For anyone planning to attend the White Mountain Slalom Slam Jam in Berlin NH this weekend.

This event is coming together nicely. As long as the weather cooperates it should be a fun day. Since this will be our first slalom event we will be looking to you for guidance and patience.

We have the street closed from 7:00am to 6:00pm. We will need help to set the course.

If there is time at the end of the day, we would like to run a beginners clinic. Anyone interested in helping with this please contact me.

Helmets are required.

The entry fee for this event is $25.00.

The event is getting a lot of press and the city is excited about your visit.

This event is being sanctioned by Gravity Sports International and American Slalom Skateboard Association. Thanks to them for helping us with insurance.

The event is sponsored by the Androscoggin Valley Chamber of Commerce.

Additional sponsors are Sk8Kings Fountain Valley CA, and IRS Sports Berlin NH,

And lot’s of thanks to everyone who has been feeding us information to help make this happen. We appreciate your guidance.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 16, 2007

Phone: 603-491-9980
Email: tim@tcayer.com
Event Info at: www.gravitysportsinternational.com

EVENT: White Mountain Slalom Slam Jam
DATE: Sunday May 20, 2007
TIME: Practice and qualifying begins at 10:00 am with racing to follow.
DESCRIPTION: Slalom skateboard competition*

Gravity Sports International
Presents:
White Mountain Slalom Slam Jam

Sanctioning by:
Gravity Sports International
And
American Slalom Skateboarding Association

Sponsored by:
Androscoggin Valley Chamber of Commerce.

Tim Cayer

White Mountain Slalom Slam Jam

Post by Tim Cayer » Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates and details. Lining everything up for this event has kept me on the move. Over the last few months GSI has made a major investment to hold more slalom events in the future including building 2 ramps, buying the cones and timing system. We hope this is only the beginning of a long relationship with the slalom community.

Yes, the event is on and the city is really looking forward to your arrival. Remember this is on the south bound lane of Berlin’s Main street. So everyone going through the area will see this event. I am expecting a good spectator turnout. We are watching the weather reports closely, but right now they are saying it should be fine.

Personally I am excited about bringing this event to Berlin. This city has seen its share of tough times recently. And this event is just the kind of thing that it needs to distract it from all the bad news. For everyone making the trip to the Great North Woods Thank YOU!

I look forward to seeing all your smiley faces Sunday morning!

Feel free to contact me for any information and questions you may have.

Tim

Tim Cayer

Race is on!

Post by Tim Cayer » Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Ramps are done. Trophies are done. Timing system ready. Weather looking good.

We’re ready to race! Hope you are. See you tomorrow!

GSI

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Sat May 19, 2007 11:50 pm

Nice ramps! I think you got some input from Éric Brassard.
I'm really sorry to miss your race Tim, this last minute assignment was not the kind you can say no to.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Sun May 20, 2007 1:34 am

The ramps look great. I am going to make the run up to NH. I like the idea of being able to race duals. My wife and I will be heading out around 6am so we shoud get there around 9:00. See you all then.

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Mon May 21, 2007 3:43 pm

So, what happened?

Tim Cayer

Weather forecast for the rest of this week.....

Post by Tim Cayer » Mon May 21, 2007 6:50 pm

.....Sunny and warm. Go figure. Gotta love the New England weather.

Karl, I commend you on getting your event off. Great job. Ironically in the end the weather did us both in more then our competing events. I just wanted to say to you and your crew great job with all you have done to get your school involved with your activity. You are an example and inspiration to others. I was really looking forward to getting your crew up here at some point to show and tell the local kids what slalom is all about and what can be done when you set your mind to it. I would love to see the local kids here follow your example. And I would like to do what I can to help do something similar here if there is any interest from local skaters. I would like to talk to you more at some point about how you went about getting your school to back your efforts.

Thank you to all the racers who showed yesterday. You are a hardy bunch. As I explained to some who showed up yesterday, our policy (barring circumstances beyond our control, rain aside) is that once we commit to holding an event, and you commit to being there, we owe it to you to be there set up and ready for you to race. Being that this was our first attempt at holding a slalom race we were looking to the racers for guidance. The consensus yesterday was not to race. We respected that decision.

GSI has made the investment and is committed to hold more slalom races in the future. However, after yesterday’s event (or lack thereof) there ensued a discussion among a couple GSI officials regarding slalom racing in the rain. As disappointing as it is for a racer to travel any distance only to be rained out. It is equally disappointing for an organizer who has put so much time, effort and money into an event only to have it rained out. But as we witnessed yesterday this is New England. And as New England residents we have learned to deal with whatever the weather throws at us. If that were not the case we would rarely plan outside activities.

Being new to the slalom scene, we are interested in hearing the most compelling reason(s) for not racing in the rain. We heard from a couple racers that it basically comes down to a safety issue. Trying to carve on wet pavement is to unpredictable and the potential for falling hard substantially increases. The more falls there are, the greater potential for injuries.

Understanding this argument our next question would be; is there anything which can be done to the course to reduce the risk of falling? For example with everything else being equal, could we adjust to the conditions accordingly to make the course safe enough for racing? Ie: space out the cones more, not use the ramps? Are there things the racer can do also?

Our philosophy about racing is simple; racing is about being as prepared as possible for conditions that may be presented to you on race day. Be ready to race.

Is that possible with slalom racing?

Thank You,

Tim Cayer
GSI

PS look for us to announce another race date here in Berlin for October 7th. Look for the official announcement in the coming week or so. I am also going to look into holding a slalom clinic some time before that. Anyone interested in that please contact me. Thanks

Tim Cayer

Newspaper article in this weeks Berlin Reporter.

Post by Tim Cayer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:52 pm

RiverFire is on Saturday

10/03/2007 - BERLIN — Androscoggin Valley, get ready for more fun this weekend!

After this past event-filled weekend, can you stand any more excitement? Well, you're going to have to, because the Valley's premier event, RiverFire, takes place on the shores of the mighty Androscoggin on Saturday. A true community event, this is the fourth annual RiverFire and each one has only gotten better than the previous years' as organizers continually sharpen their event planning skills.

RiverFire 2007 will be held this Saturday at Rotary Park and the Northern Forest Heritage Park. The event gets underway at 3 p.m. with the Androscoggin River Duck Race and a hayride, kiddie carnival, and Haunted Village.

At 4 p.m. both a pie eating contest and pie bake-off will be held. These are two distinct events: pie eaters can focus on eating and not worry about judging the pies. At 6 p.m. the "Berlin Has Talent" show will start, and all events should wrap up in time for the spectacular RiverFire lighting at dusk. In addition to the scheduled events, there will be additional food, vendors, and entertainment. RiverFire is sponsored by the City of Berlin, Berlin Main Street Program, the Northern Forest Heritage Park, and the Androscoggin Valley Chamber of Commerce.

"At the moment," City Manager Pat MacQueen said in his manager's report Monday night, "the weather forecast is looking good so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Call 752-1272 for more information or to volunteer.

The excitement doesn't end on Saturday night. Gravity Sports International and the City of Berlin are teaming up for the second attempt at the inaugural event 2007 Gravity Sports Race Series this Sunday. The race itself is a skateboard slalom course that will be set up on Pleasant Street. Pleasant Street (from Rite Aid to the NH Employment Security office) will be shut down from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. so that skateboarders from as far away as Montreal and as close as Berlin can compete in the event. Tim Cayer, who runs Gravity Sports International, sees the event as having two main purposes: to show the possibilities of Berlin to professional skate slalom racers, and to showcase the sport to the community.

Cayer had originally tried to hold the inaugural race in May but it was canceled due driving rain. Despite those adverse conditions, over a dozen competitors showed up. He is hoping that this weekend's forecast of perfect fall weather will grow the numbers of racers. The schedule of the race will depend in large part on the number of competitors, but the course will be open for practice at 9 a.m., with qualifying races held before lunch, and 1 p.m. as the tentative start time for the race. Registration is $25, and pre-registration is not mandatory. The event is free for spectators, and will be a great chance to see the sort of athletes who don't often get a chance to display their talents, as well as being a great continuation of the community festivities of RiverFire on Saturday. FMI is available at www.gravitysportsinternational.com