NESRA Notice of Race - Burlington, VT 5/15/2010

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

NESRA Notice of Race - Burlington, VT 5/15/2010

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon May 03, 2010 1:38 am

Announcing the launch of the Northeast Skateboard Racing Association (NESRA).

We have a website at www.sk8racing.com that should be live by late Monday 5/3/2010 for sign-ups and more info.

We will be holding a series of skateboard racing events around the Northeast United States and possibly in Canada, this spring, summer and fall.

Right now the venues include Burlington, VT, Antrim, NH and Holyoke, MA, but we hope to add at least one or two more races if possible. Contact us at info@cloudtenweb.com if you think you have a good race venue and want to see about us helping you host a race in our series.

The Burlington, Vermont race is scheduled for Saturday, May 15th, with a rain date of Sunday May 16th. Registration is from 9:30AM - 10AM, racer's meeting at 10:15, GS practice at 10:30. This is an "outlaw" race so there is a bust factor - for that reason, you must contact us at info@cloudtenweb.com for more info and directions to the event venue. Disciplines will be Giant Slalom, Super-Giant Slalom and a Sport Downhill.

All races will be single-lane, electronically timed, with each racer getting three runs per discipline. The course is 900 feet long. The GS course has 40 cones, the Super-G 20 cones, and the Downhill will use "cone features" to make extra turns in what is already an "S" shaped road. All races will use the Green Mountain Bomb Squad 5-foot high start ramp - with a transition suitable for even the lowest and longest of Downhill boards. The race road is fairly steep in the middle, with top speeds in the Downhill expected to be about 40mph, about 35 for the Super-G and 30 for the GS. There is a beautiful runout around a roundhouse right turn and up an incline - no foot braking required. A "B" push-start (all races) will be available for those who find the ramp and entire hill too daunting, or you can push-start from the top if you choose. Classes will be Open A and B only, with trophies for the top three places in each.

There will be a season points series. To qualify for the points series, you must contribute a minimum $5 donation at each event - all these funds go to the event organizer's choice of charity. You must also attend 2 of the 3 currently scheduled events (or 2 of 4, or 3 of 5 if we hold more races) with each racer's four highest finishes, no matter which discipline the finishes are in, counting towards a season championship and prizes. Stay tuned for more info on this!

If you have never raced a skateboard before, come see what it is all about. You will have world-ranked skateboard racers to talk to about equipment, techniques and where other races are being held.

The mimimum $5 donations we gather at the Burlington race will to go to the Downhillbillie's own Mr. Marion Karr's "Surf 2 the Surf" skateboard push-trip across North Carolina this coming summer, to raise awareness of brain injury victims and to benefit "Hinds Feet Farm", an organization that provides "Unique and Innovative Programs for Adults with Traumatic and Acquired Brain Injuries and Their Families".

Ok, let's ROCK!

-Rick

"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon May 03, 2010 6:31 pm

It's ALIVE! - http://www.sk8racing.com/

To come this week: race vids on site, a few more race pics, bigger text

:-)

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 am

I'm excited about this! NE Series is ON.

I'm in for the 15th, will bring some skaters, and will pick a date soon for an Antrim race.
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 pm

I'd like to touch base with you guys at the Burlington Bomb to put Antrim NESRA race on the calendar. Something to consider is, if we could have it on Summer Street and be part of other goings-on in town, should we?

How's the weather report for Saturday Rick?

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri May 14, 2010 6:10 am

Dave Kirkpatrick wrote:I'd like to touch base with you guys at the Burlington Bomb to put Antrim NESRA race on the calendar. Something to consider is, if we could have it on Summer Street and be part of other goings-on in town, should we?

How's the weather report for Saturday Rick?
Just emailed you re direcs and weather...Summer Street woyld be great, but 202 hill much easier for a small outlaw IMO. Either one would be great of course.

-R

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri May 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Friday 5/14/2010 at 3:00PM
Right now we are still on for The Burlington Bomb, Saturday 5/15 as planned. The forecast is for only a 30% chance of rain until noon and then sun. Looks like a nice 15+ knot tailwind too! The courses are set and painted in, so any rain will not delay setting or re-setting. We will make a final call on the weather tonight by 8PM, and post it here and on the Burlington Bomb page on www.sk8racing.com .

Reminder that this is a BYOEverything race - we will have a few 2-gallon jugs of water, but there is no food provided, and no restroom facilities. We will have TP for those who wish to brave the woods, of which there are plenty just behind the start area. There are public restrooms and gas/stores about a mile away. We may decide to park some cars in a public lot a mile away and shuttle you in - be prepared.

Looking forward to racing and hanging out with everyone!!

Stoke-meter is pinned!

-RF

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Fri May 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I won't be able to make it Rick (for multiple reasons). Missing a rare chance to race GS/SGS with you guys kind of pisses me off... I hope you guys have a blast. See you next week.

Oh! And post lots of pics and vids! :D

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri May 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:I won't be able to make it Rick (for multiple reasons). Missing a rare chance to race GS/SGS with you guys kind of pisses me off... I hope you guys have a blast. See you next week.

Oh! And post lots of pics and vids! :D
Next time buddy! We are getting a good relationship with the neighborhood, for now, so hope to do another event here before the season is out. The cops actually waved at us when we were running GS at the race spot yesterday.

I might run the Elise in the Super-G...wish I had some 160mm Rad Talons to put on it for SG...has 190mmm Bear Smokies on it right now. Kudos to you and PS for putting out such a great board...it's like a sports car for sure. Has a nice matte finish on the arborite bottom too - very cool ride.

See you on the Krispy side!!

-RF

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Mon May 17, 2010 3:25 am

Well done, Rick, what a race!

I feel honored to have been chosen to do first official run of the brand new NESRA race series - and happy to have made it without DQ-ing, eating it on the course, or eating it off that big ramp! I was having a serious "bad gear day" until about 15 minutes before the start.

We lucked out on weather (we drove to and from this race in the rain), had nice chats with the neighbors, picked up a couple new racers...

A success in every way by my measure!

Thanks for your efforts, planning, and organization - we're off to a really good start.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 am

Dave Kirkpatrick wrote:Well done, Rick, what a race!

I feel honored to have been chosen to do first official run of the brand new NESRA race series - and happy to have made it without DQ-ing, eating it on the course, or eating it off that big ramp! I was having a serious "bad gear day" until about 15 minutes before the start.

We lucked out on weather (we drove to and from this race in the rain), had nice chats with the neighbors, picked up a couple new racers...

A success in every way by my measure!

Thanks for your efforts, planning, and organization - we're off to a really good start.
Thanks Dave, and thank you for your efforts to get this all going as well. I did a write-up on the race, edited a few photos, prepared the results spreadsheets, and posted it all online on the sk8racing.com Burlington Bomb page.

Let me know when you nail down the Antrim NESRA race date and I'll post that as well.

A couple extra thanks:
First, to everyone for coming to the innaugural NESRA race., you guys rock!
To Tom Wilson for building our start ramp - without it we don't race.
To Dan Parrish for supplying the timer, which worked flawlessly all day long.
To the residents at the race site for letting us do this.

Stoked, tired, smiling...night!

-Rick