[2010] NESRA Notice of Race - Antrim, NH June 26

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

[2010] NESRA Notice of Race - Antrim, NH June 26

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 am

Announcing the second event of the Northeast Skateboard Racing Association (NESRA) season series.

Check the "Antrim Jam" page on the NESRA website at <a href="http://www.sk8racing.com/" target="_blank">www.sk8racing.com/ajam.html</a> for more info.

There is a sign-up on the NCDSA site <a href="http://67.139.161.195/contest_registrat ... testID=465" target="_blank">www.ncdsa.com</a>.

We will be holding a series of skateboard racing events around the Northeast United States and Eastern Canada, this spring, summer and fall.

The confirmed venues so far include Burlington, VT (<a href="http://www.sk8racing.com/bbomb.html" target="_blank">see race report and results from 5/15/2010</a>), Antrim, NH and Holyoke, MA, but we hope to add at least one or two more races. Contact us at <a href="mailto:info@cloudtenweb.com">info@cloudtenweb.com</a> if you think you have a good race venue and want to see about us helping you host a race in our series.

The Antrim, New Hampshire race is scheduled for Saturday, June 26th, with a rain date of Sunday June 27th. Registration is from 9:30AM - 10AM, racer's meeting at 10:15, GS practice at 10:30. <b>This is an "outlaw" race so there is a bust factor (2 out of 10) - for that reason, you must contact us at <a href="mailto:info@cloudtenweb.com">info@cloudtenweb.com</a> for more info and directions to the event venue</b>. Disciplines will be Giant Slalom, Slalom, a new "Relay" format, and a kid's race.

All races will be single-lane, electronically timed, with each racer getting two runs per discipline - possibly a third if time allows. The GS course is about 700 feet long with about 30 cones, the Slalom about 550 feet with about 40 cones, and the Relay will use both the main Slalom and kid's courses. Bet you are curious about the relay now! All races (except for the kid's race) will use the Antrim Can-Am 3-foot high start ramp. The race road is fairly recently paved, follows a gentle right curve into a straightaway, and is very lightly traveled. Top speeds in the GS are expected to be about 25mph, and about 20mph for the Slalom and Relay. There is an uphill runout - no foot braking required. A "B-class" push-start (GS and Slalom ONLY) will be available for those who find the ramp and full-length hill too daunting, or you can push-start from the top (in A-class) if you choose. Slalom and GS Classes will be Open A and B, with trophies for the top three places in each class. All racers will be required to sign a release form, and those under 18 must also have a parent or guardian sign.

We will be taking $5 donations at the Antrim race to benefit the local Warren family, who have recently experienced the loss of a father and daughter in the space of two weeks.

Stay tuned for more exciting NESRA news about this race! We've got some surprises up our sleeves.

There is a NESRA season points series. To qualify for the points series, you must contribute a minimum $5 donation at each event - all these funds go to the event organizer's choice of charity. You must also attend 2 of the 3 currently scheduled events (or 2 of 4, or 3 of 5 if we hold more races) with each racer's four highest finishes (max. 2 per event), no matter which discipline the finishes are in, counting towards a season championship and prizes. Stay tuned for more info on this!

If you have never raced a skateboard before, come see what it is all about. You will have world-ranked skateboard racers to talk to about equipment, techniques and where other races are being held.

Ok, let's ROCK!

-Rick
Last edited by Rick Floyd on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Dan Parrish

Post by Dan Parrish » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:48 am

Ok, let's ROCK!

-Rick
Ahem,

I do hereby formally declare my intention, in this aforementioned venue, to-- Roll.

-Dan

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:31 am

Thanks for getting this official Antrim Jam thread up Rick. Seemed like it was off in the distance, now feels like it's coming up so fast... I've gotten behind!

This hill is the more "comfortable" of our two spots. The newer skaters seem to do pretty well here, and the course from the top is still challenging for the A group. We can always keep an eye on the weather though, and if the winds are not going to be in our favor, be thinking about the other location as a backup, or for the post-race DH runs.

In fact, I'd be up for hosting a second NESRA race at the 2nd location (whichever) later in the season, if we haven't picked up another host.

Since I'm tardy (I don't feel tardy) I'll just briefly chime in and probably repeat some stuff:

OUTLAW RACE in Antrim Saturday 6/26. Get there early rather than late. Buck up the small donation - compared to any race "fee" it's VERY small, and for a good cause.

Bring good attitude, be cool, be friendly. The neighbors and cops and town officials all give a nod to this, so we like to make sure there's no signs of mischief, and we leave no mess. We'll have kids and their parents here. Be a good example for the kids - and don't hit on their moms (or dads).

Wear a helmet, no further discussion. I have some extras (and lots of pads) if you don't.

We'll have food and drink available and, again, proceeds go to our charitable cause.

NESRA events are intended to be real RACES that the regular slalom crowd will find worthy, and at the same time have appeal to new racers and those interested in other disciplines. If you've never raced, come on by. If you skate DH or cruise/carve, come on by, we'll send you down the hill and through the timing system. Side bets are allowed.

Finally, if you can help (or bring a helper) let me know. Having someone available to work the course, help with scoring, work with the kids, or even take pics, that's one less thing for the organizers to worry about doing.

Finally - and IMPORTANTLY - please REGISTER. This helps a LOT in planning for this event. Sure, we'll register you on the spot, but it's way better if we can get a handle on how many are coming. Costs nothing.

Come on, SIGN UP NOW:

http://67.139.161.195/contest_registrat ... 465#signup

See you there!

dk
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:46 am

So, less that 2 weeks away... It's going to be fun!

My GS board is still dodgy, I keep crashing when I practice, I suspect my helmet should be retired, and my pads smell worse every day.

What's left to do?

Hey racers -

We're wishing to see more signups on NCDSA. If we knew how many people were coming ahead of time, that would be REALLY helpful. Helpful to US, the race organizers. You want to make US happy so we'll want to do this more often.

Please sign up! It takes about 90 seconds and costs nothing.

It may be that the race schedule or even the location will changed to accommodate our registered racers. So if you plan to race this one, don't just sit there, DO IT!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Dave Kirkpatrick wrote:So, less that 2 weeks away... It's going to be fun!

My GS board is still dodgy, I keep crashing when I practice, I suspect my helmet should be retired, and my pads smell worse every day.

What's left to do?

Hey racers -

We're wishing to see more signups on NCDSA. If we knew how many people were coming ahead of time, that would be REALLY helpful. Helpful to US, the race organizers. You want to make US happy so we'll want to do this more often.

Please sign up! It takes about 90 seconds and costs nothing.

It may be that the race schedule or even the location will changed to accommodate our registered racers. So if you plan to race this one, don't just sit there, DO IT!
Dave - we will fix that board. Razor will give you a helmet if you race in the kid's race. Wash your pads.

Thanks for the signup plugs, I'm totally out of energy right now.

www.sk8racing.com

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 pm

I just received a big box of Razor (www.razor.com) helmets, and and 2 Razor skateboard completes to give away, courtesy of Fatboy (www.longboardsbyfatboy.com). Kids, you may not win cash like at the Farm, but this can be your first step towards that dream!

-RF

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:23 am

Rick,

What is the anticipated performance level for the kids race - can mostly newbies participate or is it geared towards kids with a little expericence?

Still trying to arrange my schedule to get up there.

Terry

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:17 am

T Whalen wrote:Rick,

What is the anticipated performance level for the kids race - can mostly newbies participate or is it geared towards kids with a little expericence?

Still trying to arrange my schedule to get up there.

Terry
Total beginners mostly, but two divs. if we have enough kids and enough of an ability range. Very slight grade on nice pavement (8 of 10) with straight line cones about 8-9 feet apart.

It would be great to have you there...clam boy too.

-R

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:04 am

I may try to make it if someone shares the ride with me. But I can't promess anything right now...

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Dave - give me your address and I'll send you a helmet

longboardsbyfatboy@hotmail.com
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Miguel Marco wrote:I may try to make it if someone shares the ride with me. But I can't promess anything right now...
Would make my day my friend. Great if you can, next time if you can't. Dr. Dan's goes off 7/10 - longer drive but fun hill. We'll have another Burlington event at some point too.

Remember to email me for directions if you plan to go. Not much interest from Canada so far, even though I posted in the Montreal and Sk8orDie forums...is there a race in Canada that weekend?

Emailed you about Dovercourt room share - you in, or know someone who wants to split a suite?

-R

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Ron Barbagallo wrote:Dave - give me your address and I'll send you a helmet

Well now...how's that for service!

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:02 am

Hey, cool, thanks!!

And remember, what happens in Antrim STAYS in Antrim, I was never there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocdPLpCJps
Rick Floyd wrote:
Ron Barbagallo wrote:Dave - give me your address and I'll send you a helmet

Well now...how's that for service!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:52 am

Rick Floyd wrote:Not much interest from Canada so far, even though I posted in the Montreal and Sk8orDie forums...is there a race in Canada that weekend?
Yes. DH race in the Laurentians, north of Montreal. Was planned a long time ago and it's one of the nicest local ones of the season. You have even been called out on the Montreal forum for doing it the same day... LOL!

Danilo is working on the 26th, Pierre's girlfriend will be giving birth anyday around that time, and the rest of the Quebec crew are going to the MTL DH race since they already had it planned.

Yann keeps a nice calendar of all the east coast events (Canada and US) on the MTL forum. You should consult it before planning the next race.

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Post by Pierre Gravel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Mig's right Rick, (isn't he always right dammit?) you will get way more racers if you check this calendar first:

http://montrealsessions.forumactif.com/ ... -t4021.htm
Ride more, post less.

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Well, here we are, a few hours away.

Sorry for clashing with the DH event, but we pulled a few dates out of the hat and went with the one that most of the local chiefs were OK with. Maybe we can get more scientific with our methods in the future.

Weather looks good.

Are we prepared? Kinda. It's an outlaw. We'll be OK.

Registered Racers - 9 on NCDSA. I guess I should expect double that number, based on the last race. Plus the kids/beginners.

Changes? Well, depending on the registrations, we could try to sneak in a little TS... or even some sort of DH extra? But we're pretty much sticking with what we had planned for.

There is a plan to offer food, so if hitting the bank is less stress than packing your cooler, just do it! We'll offer lunch tickets at the registration table.

Any last minute thoughts? Message me!

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:57 am

Have a good race!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it up.

Terry

Oliver Lehmann

Shared ride Boston -> Antrim?

Post by Oliver Lehmann » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the US and till now did only LDP.
Anyway, I'd like to go to race tomorrow.
Is by chance anybody going by car who likes to pick me up in the Boston area?
cheers.o.

Dave Kirkpatrick

Post by Dave Kirkpatrick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Sorry to hear it T.

Weather:

It looks like evening showers, isolated T-showers... I'm thinking we're fine, get the races in early to be safe (be on time!) and we'll probably have a full day on the course.

I'm thinking the hassle of change vs. the chance of rain, mostly later, we're better off with Saturday.

If anyone has info or thoughts about that, lay em on me now.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Dave, PM me the location and let me know if you want me to bring anything. I will be leaving Beverly, MA at 7:30/8am. If anyone wants to car pool PM me.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Miguel Marco wrote: Yes. DH race in the Laurentians, north of Montreal. Was planned a long time ago and it's one of the nicest local ones of the season. You have even been called out on the Montreal forum for doing it the same day... LOL!

Danilo is working on the 26th, Pierre's girlfriend will be giving birth anyday around that time, and the rest of the Quebec crew are going to the MTL DH race since they already had it planned.

Yann keeps a nice calendar of all the east coast events (Canada and US) on the MTL forum. You should consult it before planning the next race.
All I said was "Not much interest from Canada so far, even though I posted in the Montreal and Sk8orDie forums...is there a race in Canada that weekend?" So OK - there is a race...that explains it. I'm not blaming anybody - just said it in hopes you may be able to spread the word a bit.

As I just said to Yann on the Montreal forum, we are JUST starting out, and we are doing these races when we can, fit around our busy lives - these are the dates that work, that's all. Once we have it down, and know there are enough people expressing interest, we will try to work within established races.

I want to come to Canada and race too!! :-) I was particularly bummed to miss LaSource, but I feel it is important to try to revive the dying slalom scene in New England. I'm finding that you can't try to please everybody. Heck, even many of our New England skaters haven't been able to make an event yet - and not because of other races...just other commitments, we all have them.

See you in Ottawa!!

-Rick

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Pierre Gravel wrote:Mig's right Rick, (isn't he always right dammit?) you will get way more racers if you check this calendar first:

http://montrealsessions.forumactif.com/ ... -t4021.htm
Merci Pierre - when we are more organized in the future we'll try not to schedule conflicting events.

So.............is there a baby yet??

-RF

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Re: Shared ride Boston -> Antrim?

Post by Rick Floyd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Oliver Lehmann wrote:Hi,

I'm pretty new to the US and till now did only LDP.
Anyway, I'd like to go to race tomorrow.
Is by chance anybody going by car who likes to pick me up in the Boston area?
cheers.o.
Oliver - tough to help you with this the day before the event. Didn't even see this or get your email until yesterday morning. I'm glad you are interested in joining us though!

I hope you can come to out 7/10 event in S. Hadley, MA. Glenn Chapman (on this forum) is your best bet for a ride from the Boston area. We did discuss your desire to race with us yesterday, so you may hear from him soon...but go ahead and contact him if you like.

-Rick

Oliver Lehmann

Post by Oliver Lehmann » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 am

Hey Rick,

Hope your race was great!?
I know it was very late; I found about this race minutes before my posting.
I'm not mad and rode the Minuteman Bike Trail, which is a decent training track.

BTW, I already scheduled my weekend of July 10th and mailed with David from Westborough.
I'm eager to meet you at South Hadley and if anyone passes Boston area I'm happy to car pool.

Hope to hear from you soon.
So long.oliver.
--
o.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 am

Oliver Lehmann wrote:Hey Rick,

Hope your race was great!?
I know it was very late; I found about this race minutes before my posting.
I'm not mad and rode the Minuteman Bike Trail, which is a decent training track.

BTW, I already scheduled my weekend of July 10th and mailed with David from Westborough.
I'm eager to meet you at South Hadley and if anyone passes Boston area I'm happy to car pool.

Hope to hear from you soon.
So long.oliver.
Cool! PM me your email address and I'll add you to the NESRA mailing list, and send you directions to get to the 7/10 race. I look forward to meeting and skating with you.

David who?? Another new NESRA racer? Nice!

Glad you at least got out and did some riding.

You can keep up with all our events at www.sk8racing.com

-Rick