Ceramics

Slalom Skateboard Bearings

Moderator: W. Kilner

Mark Hopkins

Ceramics

Post by Mark Hopkins » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:03 pm

Just a simple question.

Do ceramic bearings offer any real advantages over steel bearings?

I know the theory, but has anyone noticed if it makes a real difference in a skateboard wheel?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:24 pm

Rust isn't as much of an issue.

IMHO I feel they are faster. The ceramic seals can put uncertainty in the mind of your opponent.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:24 am

Heat disapation is the key !! Glad to hear JG is feelin' his oats!!!!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:02 am

this is a quote from bearing guru ron foster: " In General, Silicon Nitride Ceramic balls reduce Skidding, are 40% lighter than steel balls and there is less rotating mass. Ceramic balls are also harder (78 rockwell c hardness) and can run without lubrication longer than steel ball bearings. Silicon Nitride also has a modulus of elasticity 50% greater than steel, therfore, it increaes bearing ragidity. Ceramic balls are virtually inert and thus it resists corrosion and galling. "

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:38 am

That's what I meant
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:08 pm

The sleeves rust too.

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Re: Ceramics

Post by Steve Pederson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:33 am

:-)
Last edited by Steve Pederson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:13 am

An ALL ceramic bearing would be nice
What I have found though is tha Bearings tend to get dirt inside them AND that is what makes them PIT and become "semi-precision". Even a great bearings can turn to garbage in just 4 days of riding in MICRO dust and not cleaning them!

So even if the Balls are really strong- if the race gets pitted from dust...it still is running a ball down a bumpy road full of potholes. So ceramics are not any more resistent to damage..if anything the ceramic acts like a hardened hammer to pound the dirt into the race.

So when you do buy great bearings be prepared to clean them often.

Like SUPER often
I had a set of old GMN's (With grooves near the outer race) that I cleaned after every session- they were fast for a very long time.

You may also put a heavier grade of grease in them and ride them in a clean environment for several weeks until the grease bleeds out and leaves a lip of the tiniest tolerance...

then you can ride the greased bearing in dusty areas and nothing gets in for a long time.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Matt Speer

Post by Matt Speer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi all. A customer pointed me in the direction of this post so I thought I'd chime in. Full disclosure, I own the company F1 Ceramic. We have been making ceramic bearings for Cycling and BMX for almost 8 years. In 2007 we were approached to see if we were interested in making skate bearings. We were and now have had a lot of success.

Anyway, we offer both ceramic and steel with the only difference being the balls themselves.

As to if ceramic are faster, yes. The materials used make for a faster bearing due to the ball being made much more round. We can make a grade 3 ceramic ball while the best steel ball being used in grade 25. That is a huge difference. The races, grease and seals we use are also geared toward ceramic. The ceramic ball will polish the race (to a point) which will help if they get contaminated. Of course, they do need to be cleaned periodically which will greatly increase the lifespan.

In our testing a full ceramic (balls and race) is not ideal as ceramic is not the best material for a race. In can work but any impact will usually crack the race. We tested this in cycling extensively and found that at some point the race would crack. The fracture point of ceramic is too low to build a race with it. Ceramic is much better suited for the balls with a high carbon chrome steel race.

Anyway, just wanted to help with some info and if you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:24 pm

I find the ceramics (cleaned regularly after every couple days use) spin up to speed faster - quicker acceleration. Good for less steep and/or shorter courses where "fast out of the gate" is key. My Oust MOC7's are about equal to my Ceramics when it comes to longer/steeper courses or big start ramps.
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)