slalomranking.com
Ranking, Rules and Discussion for International Slalom Skateboard Ranking

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

US Race Status Distribution for 2006

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Eddy Martinez's post concerning a status for the Texas Sizzler led me to the Slalomranking.com web page to get straight how many of what there is for each region. Here's the rule straight from the Slalomranking.com web page:

World Ranking Competition Statuses

To deal with the fact that there are many and different slalom competitions and the wish to get some predefined structure of them there are a number of existing statuses a competition can get. The higher the status, the higher is the points given out for a discipline result.

Major
The most important competition of the year. There is only one of a kind in each West and East Atlantic region per season. One of these should be the World Championships.

Main
Other top main competitions. There is a limit of 6 of these competitions per year in each of the West and East Atlantic regions. Normally they are included in major series, cups and alike.

Prime
Other large competitions. There is a limit of 7 of these competitions per year in each West and East Atlantic region. There is one Prime status for each Major and Main status competition.

Basic
Other competitions. There are no limitations of events per season. They should still be considered serious competitions.

Plain
Other competitions. There are no limitations of events per season. They can be sporadic competitions with short notice.

To avoid getting into a specification of a competition that automatically gives a certain status the current World Ranking has aimed for another theory. As you may have noticed above the three highest statuses (Major, Main and Prime) are limited in number during the world season. It is up to the organizers to work and lobby for a higher competition status. The higher status on your competition the more likely it is that more and better slalom racers will show up.

Moreover the limited statuses are also fixed into geographical regions to give some sort of skateboard world balance. The number of fixed statuses for the specific regions is likely to be discussed and changed over time depending on the development of the world slalom skateboard scene.

The rules say SIX MAINS per REGION and SEVEN PRIMES per REGION. The entire USA, Canada, Central and South America is a REGION. (West Atlantic Region.)

So, here's my question: Where did the notion come from that the West Atlantic Region (USA EAST) only gets two primes and two mains? Are we just conceding four mains and 5 primes to the West and Canada? Are we allowing for races in Central and South America that aren't even happening? (There's a lot of activity in the BRAZIL forum on NCDSA, but I don't read Portugese. In doing a "search" I found two posts that had the word "slalom" in them but I have no idea what they are doing or planning.)

I'm not trying to start an argument, but we've been stuck on this "two mains and two primes stuff" for the East Coast since September.

Where does that come from?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:07 am

Wes good points bro. Marcos emailed Hans and got a reply saying that we should decide amoungst ourselves what status the West Coast races should be. I out of respect torwards the big promoters of our sport, and by this I mean the people who have been hosting races since slaloms rebirth. I took it upon myself to call Jack Smith, Gary Fluitt and Dave Hackett, Still trying to reach Gareth Roe regarding what ranking the Texas Cold Fusion Sizzler should get. I have alot of respect and gratitude for these people I mentioned above without them where would our sport be. Gary proposed giving us Prime as well as Jack. The last 2 years people have said coming to our race was too far. We have moved the location to Austin Texas, the Capital of our state. And it has an airport that is easy to get to. Come on down bros and race in Texas, hit the famous 6th street or visit the sites, it is a beautiful city. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:41 am

eddy,barring any unforseen events,CHIxILL is there.cf
p.s.can you reccomend any good bail bondsmen?
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

First

Post by Marty Schaub » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:02 pm

Ok I'll be the first to open up.

Let the West, under the old system, take the status's they want. Let Canada keep what they have already. Pump the rest into the East to cover the myriad of races that will be 2006.

A. What Does the West want? Is Breck gonna do a Major or Main?

B. What does Canada already have under the current system?

C. Assign the rest.

You are generally going to piss off 50% of the people involved with the current status allotment. Fact is there is just not enough to go around. But look at it this way. If you hit .500 in baseball, you would be a god. The glass is half full for me, let's git-r-dun.
La Costa Boy For Life

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:38 pm

Wes post above concerning World Ranking statuses is correct. Here is the next topic in the rules about World Ranking statuses: World Ranking Regions.

- The World Ranking system is intended to balance and filter out events on a World Level.
- American Cups or European Cups are intended to balance and filter out events on a more regional level.

It's easy to try and solve regional problems with the World Ranking since the World Ranking exists and not the regional cups. But doing so will get you into the problems some of you have spoken out about. You have to ask yourself: Is the World Ranking system wrong when you run into problem? Or is it wrong to solve the task with the World Ranking?

What you need is an American Cup. Maybe even cups like West ,East, North and South American Cups. There you can select and put levels on your competitions much more freely and only take into account only your local regional area.

With this not said that the current World Ranking system can change. But it's another ball game. And you have to be aware of it.