[2007] Region West Atlantic (World Championships 2007)

slalomranking.com
Ranking, Rules and Discussion for International Slalom Skateboard Ranking

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

[2007] Region West Atlantic (World Championships 2007)

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:41 am

The West Atlantic region have one Major competition to select for each season.

The Major should be one of the Main competitions selected by the sub regions.

This topic is aimed for all West Atlantic regions (USA West, USA East, Canada) to discuss subjects concerning the whole West Atlantic region.

World Championships 2007
Will be in the West Atlantic Region.

Candidates
- Coss, Colorado
- Dixie Cup, North Carolina

- Canada (redrawn as candidate)
Last edited by Hans Koraeus on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:47 am

DHB Dixie Cup

After careful thought and consideration and conversations with several key people in our sport the DHB have decided to announce our desire of hosting the 2007 World Championships of Slalom Skateboard Racing here in North Carolina the first weekend of October, 2007.

The 2006 2nd Annual DHB Dixie Cup will be a Main for this year but as we agreed we will relinquish that status on a rotating basis in the East to another deserving racing organization such as Luna, The Buckeye, Redclay, Chicago, St. Louis, etc in 2007 and will focus the majority of our efforts on putting together an amazing event that is worthy of such level that is the World Championships.

The mayor of Statesville has already committed full support to our efforts in bringing the World Championships to this part of North America along with our City Council and Police Department, not to mention our Main Street Program, Convention and Visitors Bureau, City Parks and Rec Department, and Chamber of Commerce (which by the way are supporting the 2nd Annual Dixie Cup as well).

We feel that our organization has the volunteer base, the organizational skills, commitment from our members, and and a variety of venues of which to choose that will make the 2007 Worlds and overwhelming success. We also feel strongly that we will be able to deliver the type of sponsorship both in dollars and in other ways, that will be make the trip here worth the while of the competitors regardless of the distance they will be traveling. We also are blessed with having outstanding weather typically at that time of the year and two airports, both of which have international flights, within one hour of our location. Travel to and from these airports is almost exclusively by interstate which greatly improves the quality of that trip.

We are asking you, the community of slalom competitors to support our bid to bring the Worlds to North Carolina in 2007 as we support its return to a European city in 2008.

Our ability to plan and develop organized, smooth running events for our competitors is developing significantly and we are highly confident that you will not regret attending and competing in the 2007 World Championships of Slalom Skateboard Racing here in Statesville, North Carolina.

Southern Hospitality. Great food. Amazing Racing. Killer Vibe. Exceptional Organization. What else could you hope for?

Thank you for your support,

World Championship Committee
Downhillbillies Skateboard Organization

Airports:
Our closest big city is Charlotte, North Carolina..Charlotte Douglas International does have international flights and multiple shuttles from all the major airports in the US. It's 45 minutes drive max from Statesville. It is highly possible if we can get a few several participants arriving within an hour or so we could arrange a shuttle from the airport to Statesville and returning on flight back date.

Greensboro/Triad Airport is also a great option that is an easy one hour drive from here.

Raleigh/Durham Airport is about 2 1/2 hours or so but is a great airport and has multiple international flights.

Media Coverage:
As Erik Basil intimated on a different , we are currently working on something with this year's Dixie Cup that could potentially be exceptional. Silverfishlongboarding.com is the official media partner with the DHB and our relationship with Concrete Wave, a Canadien company, is very strong.

If any of you have specific questions feel free to PM me or email me.

Canada

Yes, Canada is interested in hosting the event in 2007. We have been working on it for some time already and will have a formal proposal or withdrawal out by the fall.

We have several cities interested in the event and are looking to continue the strong tradition the Worlds have grown too.

Ideally we think late August would be best for everyone.

www.ottawask8park.org

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:27 am

Who will set the equipment rules for the 2007 Worlds if it is held by the Downhillbillies?

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Steve,,,havent you been listening....you got to make the decisions at your race, and the DHB's should get to make the decisions at their race....its a simple ctn and dry thing..When will this crap ever end?
thse who put in the work and or put up the sponsorshp money as title sponsor should get to make the decisions

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:29 pm

hey wax,
always the same story before the contest.lots of bla,bla from all the concerned "might attend the race" skaters.
that is the biggest terror as far as i can see it.

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Wax, I agree completely, organizers should make all of the rules decisions for their races. In the case of regional competitions, it shouldn't even be an issue.

This case is special, since it's the "Worlds". It's the one big international race for everybody. I infer that your position is that even for the Worlds, the organizer makes all the decisions. I can see how that would make sense. I'm still interested to know your reasons as well as what others think.

Here's an idea: For the Worlds, the race organizer could post their rules 6 months in advance. If anybody has an issue with any rules, they have one month to make their case. Somebody (ISSA?) makes a decision whether or not to ask the organizer to modify their rules. After that, case closed. That way the discussion takes place far in advance and there's no surprises or whining close to the event.
Last edited by Steve Collins on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Weatherwax
WAX

World rules

Post by Jim Weatherwax » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:07 pm

Steve...
I speak for myself, mabye the DHB feels differently...If I am going to put so much time and effort into doing something as putting on a top tier race the last thing I would ever do is let anybody that has no financial interest make any decisions....
would you spend countless hours designing a building for free, only then to have someone else make all the decisions?
I know that the main reason this question was asked is for the 6 wheelers....and that shopuld stay the decisions of those doing the work, but I agree it should be posted up well before the event

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Equipment rules: Official ISSA position.

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:51 pm

The ISSA has an official position on this (equipment restrictions). See that position here:

viewtopic.php?t=3715

Since the ISSA will soon be implementing a formal contest-sanctioning process to award the World Championships (and other race statuses), you might want to provide feedback into that process. The discussion topic is here:

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Post by Marty Schaub » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:49 pm

Pat,

Any way to get the ISSA to give the East more than two mains & primes?
La Costa Boy For Life

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Please make a specific proposal for # of contests per region

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:16 pm

Marty:

If you (or anyone else) would put together a specific proposal for changing the #of contests per region, and back it up with reasons and evidence -- then I can take that to the ISSA Board of Directors and ask for a vote.

Keep in mind that we might get several such proposals from each region -- often in conflict with each other.

Keep in mind that there appears to already be some consensus that we will be increasing the # of PRIME contest events regardless of other proposals.

Thanks,

-- Pat

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Canadian Worlds!

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:00 am

We have withdrawn our offer to host the Worlds in 2007 as the last city in the running has pulled out. I guess we wanted too much for the racers.

So, we will work on a future World Championship event at some point.
Many Happy Pumps!

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:40 am

Ok Claude, I have made a remark in the first post of this topic that you have redrawn from holding the Worlds 2007.

So that leaves two candidates...
- Coss, Colorado
- Dixie Cup, North Carolina

Concerning world ranking rules there are forums for open discussions on this. Soon there will be some new proposals for 2007 to discuss also. This is the way it works for now. We are working to get ISSA to take full control over the World Ranking and when that is done things may be done differently.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:25 pm

The Downhillbillies intend on hosting the following two events in 2007:

2007 World Championships of Slalom Skateboard Racing
Statesville, North Carolina
September 27-30, 2007
(Requesting Major points Designation)

2007 Downhillbillies Dixie Cup
Statesville, North Carolina
November 2-4, 2007
(Requesting Prime points Designation......in accordance to our agreement that Main point designation would rotate in the Eastern region of the US)

The Downhillbillies will possibly be hosting over events and will apply for points designations within the time limit outlined in the rules.

We feel that our organization has the skills, organizational abilities, support, and volunteer base to warrent our request for both a Major and Prime in the same year.

Please put these dates on the competition calendar for 2007.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:51 am

Not heard or seen any info of the COSS Colorado race so it look like North Carolina is the only real choice.

Thanks's for having posting your stuff in this topic. Soon (2007-01-01) the idea is that ISSA takes over responsability of the World Ranking and its statuses. I think we have come a long way with the rankings. Thanks for everybody that has supported it and helped it on its way to what it is today. I have done my 4 years as I planned from the start. It's time for a new chapter.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

It is official: 2007 ISSA World Championships

Post by Pat Chewning » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:42 am

The ISSA Board of Directors have voted and will grant the Downhillbillies (Marion Karr) the 2007 World ISSA World Championships.

27-30 September 2007
Statesville, NC, USA

viewtopic.php?t=4674