PUMP STATION JAM

Slalom Skateboarding in California

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

PUMP STATION JAM

Post by Steve Collins » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:24 pm

Originally posted on NCDSA by Dave Hamm and reposted here with his permission:

David Hamm wrote: Well it's as official as an Outlaw race can be. La Costa Boys Racing will step up and do our part to help fill the void created by the construction @ WLAC. Our timer is almost complete! All we need are the tapeswitches and they are being ordered this week.

So, the "pump station jam" will take place on Sunday Sept 19th in the Poway area of San Diego. The Pump Station is a awesome new spot we've been skating. It's as fast as El Fuerte with maybe the best asphalt we've raced on in SoCal.

Inspired by Jack's Cambria Calling race, we will be bring the 'JAM' format to SoCal. Racers will have 1 hour on the TS course, 1 hour on the Hybrid, and 1.5 hour on the GS(its a LONG walk back to the top). Single fastest times for each course will be added together and an overall winner will be named. The courses will be long and fitness will play into the mix.

Maybe we'll go to Poway skatepark afterward for a longest grind??????.......

Anyway, I doubt we'll put this up on the Contest Calendar so email me if your interested and I'll send you a WORD doc with directions and details.
Rather than emailing Hamm, hang on a little bit and I'll post the particulars here.

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

PUMP STATION JAM details

Post by Steve Collins » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:49 am

Here's the blurb from Hamm with the details. (I'm too lazy to remove the overlaps with the previous post). Looks like another LCB ringer:
David Hamm wrote:Well, it’s official. The World Longboard Championships for 9/18 & 9/19 have been postponed till 2005, so we have no schedule conflict. La Costa Boys Racing is stepping up to help fill void created by the construction at WLAC by presenting the “Pump Station Jam”

The Pump Station Jam will take place on Sunday Sept 19, 2004. Practice will begin @ 0900. The Pump Station is a hot new spot I found. Sorta like JPL, but BUTTER asphalt. Its long and fast, changes pitch 3 times with plenty of run-out at the bottom. It’s about 1.5 lanes wide, with curbs on both sides. We’ve yet to get hassled while skating this spot.

Inspired by Jack’s Cambria Calling Race, we’ll be bringing the ‘JAM’ format to SoCal for a trial run. You’ll have 1 hour on the TS course, 1 hour on the Hybrid course and 1.5 hour on the GS. You can take as many or as few runs as you like during race time. Your single fastest time for each course will then be added together for your overall time which will be the final standings. Lowest overall time WINS!

Entry fee will be $10.00usd. The owner of the single fastest time on each course will win his/her entry fee back. The overall winner will pocket the rest!!!

For Directions, put this address in your Mapquest:
10184 Scripps Poway Parkway, Poway CA 92064

That’s the address to a little plaza that has a Chili’s, a Wendy’s, a Coldwell Banker, and a Gas Station. What you want to do is park at the Coldwell Banker, walk/skate to the sidewalk that runs along Scripps Poway Pkwy, go West ½ block, then take a right into the Rancho Pensaquitas Pump Station and you’ll be there.
In a nutshell, just go behind the Coldwell Banker.

If we can get some kid’s out, we’ll have a kids division. Hopefully Russell and Nathan can make it out and compete.

Unless there are enough volunteers, like Cambria this will be a self cone marshalling race. When you finish a run, you watch the bottom ¼ of the course untill the next racer comes down, then you move up 1/4th of the way untill the next racer comes down and so on and so on.

There’s a Chili’s right next door, maybe some grub & grog afterwards?!?!

Many thanks to Lynn’s boyfriend Erik for building the La Costa Boys a timer.