New wheels

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

New wheels

Post by Lenny Poage » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:58 am

OK, it's been almost a year since Dave G stoked me up on slalom and I've worn out my first set of wheels (the back ones are coned out and slide a bit too much for comfort in a hard pump). While I still love the old wheels (ABEC 11 Stingers), I'm curious as to what else is "out there" that y'all are riding. Any wheel suggestions/ comments?
HOSS

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

What wheels?

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:59 pm

Lenny, for an all-around slalom wheel, it's hard to beat the white (80A) Turner/3DM Avalons. They're fast and smooth on darn near any surface, big enough for all but the most massive GS courses, small enough to run through all but the tightest TS courses, and still widely available. The only drawback is that the softer you go, the more quickly a wheel tends to wear. But I'll put it this way: If I only had the money to buy one set of four wheels for all-around slalom riding, I'd buy four white Avalons.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:03 pm

Av's.....for almost everything.....best combo for me is the Mango's up front and either whites or turq's in back....but i'd have to agree that if i only had one set, it'd be a pair of light greys and a pair of whites.
write to Scott at Stillboardin.com for a great deal, he's clearing some out right now, all duro's....and Sparky at Radikal has some perfectly cut ones for a bit more.
I also still ride Hyper Strada's too....but mostly only because they're "damn purdy"...so what if they're slower, they've got style...

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:55 pm

Thanks for the input. I emailed stillboardin about Avalons. Thanks again!!
HOSS

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Lenny and Jenny Skinny!

Post by Dave Gale » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:36 am

Hold your horses big guy!! I told you a non conforming wedding present was in order!! and on the way!!

Oh never mind ...a toaster it is!
I just got back in town, I'll set yo' UP!!!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:45 pm

OH NO!!! NOT A TOASTER!!! LOL

Sounds good. You can bring your gift when you hop up here for our trip to Ra-cone Creek. I also invented a new blender treat you may enjoy involving pineapple rum and lemonade.
HOSS

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:04 pm

No more toasting prior to coning for this redneck!
While I wasn't "toasted" I was a bit on the "tipsy" side last August 9th when I tried to make my left arm 2 inches longer by driving my left wrist to the pavement, thus protruding my elbow approx 2" past it's intended position and rotating it 180 degrees, so to challenge it to right itself w/ 2 weeks of the most painfull, unannounced spasms missing 3.5 months of work (that's alot when I only work 6-7 months a year)
I'm skeerd any more (the wife will kill me) So I say ..I'll have my tasty delight after we cone)
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Agreed

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:00 am

You're right. Better to drink and talk about the fun we had, anyway.

I've learned my lesson from having friends over who say "teach me to skate" after we've had a few. Nothing as serious as yours, but plenty of road rash and humiliation. :-)

When you come, we need to work on Jenny, too. I want to go rafting this summer and she's a bit nervous about the whole idea.
HOSS

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:38 am

Oh.. now white water is another thing! You bring the bride and the booze and we'll go balistic!!!!!!!! We got soft watr 'round these parts!
You know I'm kiddin' But let and relay to Jenny that after 24 3 years I've yet to have a diss satisfied guest.... Okaky maybe 1....or 2 ..Alright 3 but I got them a toaster and they were good with that!!!! ;-)
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:25 pm

I'm working on Jenny!! Her fear is "to be one of those people who falls out and gets stuck under the boat."

Is there a website for Grassroots slalom? Marc F. needs some help getting this race off the ground. I think he's getting overwhelmed by it all.

By the way: new email address thepoages@sbcglobal.net
HOSS