Indianapolis practice sessions- interested?

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

willy demis

Indianapolis practice sessions- interested?

Post by willy demis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 am

Anyone from Indy? Or close? Wanna practice...?

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Hopefully you'l find some locals there who can help you out.

If not, Jeremy Coffman lives in Louisville, KY which is 2 hours away. He's a great bro who's always looking for someone to session with. Also (the eternally stoked) Bobby Thomas (who's currently recovering from knee surgery, but will be back with a vengence ASAP) lives near Hamilton, OH (where my in-laws live). I'm there a few weekends out of the year when the Mrs visits family and that's only 2 hours away as well. I know it can be a bummer to travel for a session, but it's definitely possible.

Send me a PM and I'll send an email or something when I'm coming to town. Maybe we can meet in the middle or something.
HOSS

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Yeah, I didn't really consider traveling- especially to KY. It's not that far... Maybe if I went down there once or twice- then those guys would come up here the next time. Indianapolis has the nation's oldest (and I think longest) soap box derby track which appears to be open to the public. I've skated on it once, and am seriously considering hosting a Regional event there.

To me, though, it's so damn fast that I can't go through cones that well! haha... I would think that pros would eat it up. If I could get some of those dudes to come check it out, they could give a go/no-go on it...

good stuff...

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:50 pm

That sounds awesome!!

Try starting at the bottom of the hill and work your way up. You'd be surprised at how many you quickly you get used to it and you'll be flying around the cones in no time.

Enjoy!!

Also, try and come to the Southern Fried Cone Fest in Ashland, KY in September. It's a haul (4.5 hours from you), but hopefully worth the trip. You can ask some of the bros who've traveled to get there, though.
HOSS

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:09 pm

By the way, this the spot? http://indianapolissoapboxderby.com/photos

Looks awesome!
HOSS

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Yes sir- that's the spot! The track is in pretty good condition (I wouldn't call it excellent- as in freshly paved) but certainly good condition. It's really fast... I got pretty nervous just "bombing" it on the slalom board. Well, add to that the fact that I haven't been over 40mph on a skateboard in a LONG time...

I'll try to get out there before dark today and take some video. Seems like a good excuse to leave work. I didn't want to work a 12 hour day today anyway! haha

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 pm

I didn't see your first reply. Yeah- I am excited to go to the events around here (or even remotely around here) but they are all in the fall... Hopefully I can pull off an event in Indy- that would at least be something sooner- maybe June-ish. But yes- I am definitely coming to the Southern Fried one.

By the way- did you come to the EPIC Skate Fest in Mishawaka last fall? You look familiar from your profile pic... I built the start ramp for that event. We may have talked.

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:19 am

I'm down with coming up to Indy for a session. That soap box hill looks killer. You are welcome to come down here anytime. I am about it for slalom in Louisville that I know of. I tend to ride on Sunday afternoons. I have a few fun hills to set up on.

Besides the Cone Fest in Sept, they usually hold a slalom race in St Louis on Memorial Day weekend. They usually don't decide if it will happen until right before it happens. So far it has happened pretty much every year for five or six years now. It's a good fun race.

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 am

I went to the soapbox hill this evening after work and took some video. The hill is so fast... I simply don't have the skill for it. I went down to an area that had perhaps a 2% grade, and set up 20 cones (which is all I have).

I am splicing all the video segments now, and will upload later tonight.

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:33 am

Baby steps. We'll getting you running cones like a pro in no time. If that isn't too presumptuous of me to say.

There is a race in Statesvillle, NC where they do the GS race on a soap box derby hill. Actually that hill is in Winston Salem. Either way that hill is fast. I ran that one from the B class start. That was like half way up the hill. It was still fast. I guess what I'm getting at is that you don't have to start at the top of the hill. It's all good and can still be challenge.

Also there are a couple of guys over in Columbus, OH that do the slalom thing as well. Chad might be up for coming over to Indy to ride sometime. I'll have to ask him this weekend when I see him.

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:13 am

Here you go guys. It's been stuck in the Processing state for the last couple hours... Hopefully by morning it should play...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9uYkIpoTes

--EDIT--
It's working now!

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice video! Looks like you have a good rhythm down. I agree with Jeremy (of course I'm 4 1/2 hours away).

Jeremy- Kill it this weekend!! Wish I was there, but duty calls up here. Give all my love!!
HOSS

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:17 am

lookin' good. Keep at it and you can't help but get better. I would have to see you in person before I would begin to give you any advice on anything you are doing wrong or improve on. All I can offer is watch a bunch of vids of people running cones and study what they are doing and try to copy it. After Easter we will have to get together. That hill sure looks fun.

Peter Metzger

Post by Peter Metzger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:59 am

you know I'd be down... down like my cones after you try running through them ;)

(ohhh!! I kid.)
I'm new here.