HUGE slalom opportunity in Akron!!!

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

HUGE slalom opportunity in Akron!!!

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Aloha fellow skateboarders! Fatboy and skateboarding need YOUR help! As you may or may not know, I've been working with the All American Soap Box Derby Association. I was approached by them through Michael Brooke to be part of a skateboard exhibition that was put on at their World Championships a few months ago. You can read some of the highlights in the Concrete Wave as well as see a swell photo of me and Uncle Sam Anyway, the expo was a HUGE hit with the derby officials, racers, and spectators! So much so that they want to open up their hills to skateboarding - that is ginormous news, kids. These hills are a) closed to traffic; b) all over the United States; c) pristine pavement. They are like skateboarding heaven! Perfect for slalom, giant slalom, longboarding, and downhill. Some of the hills are even being considered for street luge.

The crown jewel of these hills is in Akron, Ohio - the home of the AASBD World Championships. The hill there is amazing! Three lanes wide, perfect grade, untraveled pavement, grandstands, and plenty of free parking. The folks that run this spot are VERY open to let us use it. They asked me to put together a proposal for a three year plan for integrating a race schedule and clinics for that hill. That's where YOU come in! I proposed monthly skate clinics - slalom as well as other disciplines. They would be like open skate jams for everyone - beginners or otherwise. But we need someone to kinda be the go-to person for these events. I'm 6+ hours away by car one way, so I can't come out there on a Saturday or Sunday to help run things. What we're looking for is someone who is within an hour or so of Akron, who is willing to sort of host these clinics as well as work with the ISSA for local and National races..

This is an amazing opportunity for racing and skateboarding in general. Did I mention that these Derby hills kick ass? The groundwork is already being done for this, we really just need a person of group of people that have the time to get involved. If you're in the Akron Area or near enough to get there in a reasonable amount of time, PLEASE talk to me! We can help you with all of this -scheduling, hardware, instruction.

UPDATE!!!

as I said, this is going to happen. The IGSA is putting on a race in Akron, Ohio this Fall. They would like to do a slalom race as well on the sweet Derby hill at the same time.

I must stress how GREAT of an opportunity this is for slalom, longboarding, DH, and skateboarding in general!!! Soap Box Derby hills are great grades, smooth pavement, and car free. You can't ask for more than that!

Well actually I am asking for more than that - I still haven't found anyone in the Akron, Ohio area that wants to get involved. We need someone who is willing to be the go-to person for events and races at the Derby Hill. It's not a tremendous responsibility or anything, and we can talk you through all you need to do. There are vast resources available for this person, we just need A person!

All the hard groundwork is done - the hill is ours. All we need you to do is be the face of skateboarding in Ohio. Maybe you don't race or even ride all that great - doesn't matter. Maybe your Dad would wanna get involved in something that keeps you from doing blow off of hooker's butts? Maybe you're a weekend cruiser, but your kids wanna do something fun and challenging. Maybe you don't even have a reason!

The IGSA race is tentatively scheduled for September 22nd & 23rd

Please don't let this opportunity slip through our hands! I'm over 6 hours away or I would do it myself. But I got that door open for us.

PM me here or shoot me an email at: longboardsbyfatboy@hotmail DOTcom
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Jeremy Coffman

Re: HUGE slalom opportunity in Akron!!!

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:36 am

That is awfully close to Antrim and Cone Fest dates. I stole this off facebook concerning Antrim...

Antrim Can/Am Slalom Skateboard Championships

Antrim Can / Am Is again a GO for September 14-15-16. Application has been submitted to ISSA to make this a Major event. Looking forward to the skate season... it's going to be a good year! - dk

I'm worried about the impact of too many races too close together. Antrim and Cone Fest are on the same weekend due to the fact that they are tied to City festivals. Another major race the following weekend could hurt attendance for all 3 races. Any chance that the Akron race could be rescheduled?

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:01 am

Nope, its part of the IGSA race.

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 am

This could be a problem.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 am

You do realize what is at stake here, right? A decently run event paves the way for us to use soapbox derby hills all over the country. I tried to get this done for about 2 years and got nowhere. Yeah, the timing sucks, but perhaps the IGSA can be persuaded to push the date out a bit next year.

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:19 am

I do realize. I'm just thinking of the impact on 2 established races. It's just bad luck/timing all around. It's a great opportunity that we as a community can't pass up. I've been stoked on this happening ever since it looked like it was happening. I just hate to see a situation arise where racers might have to choose which event they are going to. They already have to do that between Antrim and Cone Fest already. Nothing can be done about that conflict due to the conditions that make these races possible. I'm just worried this could a simular impact like when Statesville hosted the Worlds. Many racers had to choose between attending Worlds or Dixie Cup.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing. Hopefully this will only be a conflict this one time. Maybe people will have enough time to schedule and save and be able to attend races both weekends. I intend to try and make it to both Cone Fest and the Akron race if my work schedule will allow.