Rear vs. Front

Split-Fire Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Gary Fluitt

Shane Anderson

Rear vs. Front

Post by Shane Anderson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:51 pm

Something just occurred to me...

If I buy a "Front" and run it on the "Rear," am I going to potentially get axle walk-out?

What I mean is this: The axles are supposedly reverse threaded. I actually beleive that would be ONLY on one side. The reverse threading is so that friction from the wheel turning will not loosen the axle and make it walk out of its thread. My beleif is that this would be the "left" axle both front and back. But since the trucks are mounted in a reversed position it is actually the opposite axles on the trucks. The trucks sitting together, disassociated from a board would have the opposite axles reverse threaded. Follow?

So if I purchase a front Split-fire and run it on the rear, I am exposing myself to axle walkout, right?

Shane

Shane Anderson

Post by Shane Anderson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:31 am

>> The axles are supposedly reverse threaded. I actually beleive that would be ONLY on
>> one side. The reverse threading is so that friction from the wheel turning will not loosen
>> the axle and make it walk out of its thread. My beleif is that this would be the "left" axle
>> both front and back. But since the trucks are mounted in a reversed position it is
>> actually the opposite axles on the trucks. The trucks sitting together, disassociated from
>> a board would have the opposite axles reverse threaded. Follow?

I wrote Gary and asked this question. He responded very quickly.

-- Quoting:

Adept point... I stopped doing reverse threaded axles some time ago, for that very reason.
People were swapping the position of their trucks, and it was a hassle to
have a "rear only" hanger. So now I use red lock tite on the axle threads
before they are installed in the hangers. Problem solved. Have never heard
of a splitfire axle walking out on anyone. We also increase the length of
the hanger threads, so the axle is buried almost a full inch into the
hanger.
So- you indeed can run a 50 degree RII in back with a dewedge to slow it
down to 40 or whatever you want. This is what I ride on my tight board. See
attached.
Gary

-- End Quoting

Gary, hope you don't mind me quoting you, but I just wanted to get this out given that my question could be viewed as negative... I think the changes you made are very sensible, keep production complexity to a minimum, and are a simple and well thought out approach to something that could have been a potential problem. Everyone benefits. If you actually produced a true front versus a true rear with reverse threads on different sides... well... what a nightmare for everyone. You kept the system modular and adaptable. THAT is a real plus to me. As a programmer I appreciate these kinds of solutions.

I also just want to say this will be my third Split-Fire. They are REALLY great trucks.

Shane