Split-Fire Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Gary Fluitt

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

SplitFire Axle Options

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:23 pm

I had a brainstorm this week.

As probably everyone has heard by now Fluitt has shut down production of the Splitfires. That's not stopping me though, from continuing to ride what I got. My only issue with Splitfire is that of all the trucks I purchased I had ONE bad axle. Quite simple, it's wasn't 8mm but more like 8.5 0r 9. (That's probably an exaggeration, but you get the idea.) The bearing would not fit.

I tried everything. I even jigged it up on my drill press and tried to "lathe" it down. I had that axle spinning at 1200 RPM and probably went through 20 feet of the strongest, grittiest sandpaper I could find. No effect. That hardened steel alloy for the axles is, well,hardened. I don't know what could shave it precisely enough to get that little stem of metal back to the right diameter.

Then, just like that, it hit me: why am I spending all this time sweating over THIS axle when I have a BAGFUL of axles from RADIKAL?

When Radikal switched from Titanium to Chrome-moly I bought a few of each from Hollien. I got a little baggy full laying on the table. Why not give it a whirl?

Whew, the threading is the same!

The SplitFires with Rad 1/4" Rad axles is about the same wide as if I'd used a spacer.

So, just like that my Splitfire is good again. All I really had to do now is actually take out the one good axle on the other side and replace it with the Radikal mate. What's more is that now all of a sudden I have a Splitfire with variable track widths. I know you could always do this with spacers, but there's a limit to how many shims you can stuff onto an axle. Now if I want I can put Radikals 3/4" axles on a 107mm Split and stretch it out to 145mm. Add a couple of spacers and this thing is as wide as a house.

I use "wave washers" with my Rad axles instead of Loc-Tite. Messing around with stuff in a bottle during a race bugs me.

I don't know why I'd ever do that, but it's nice to know I have the option.

More relevant, of course, is that anyone who "only" got the 90mm split can easily add track to the truck if there's a need for something more stable. In other words, if all you have is a 90mm split, call Hollien and get some Radikal 3/8" axles and have a stable 109mm truck.

It really works.

The inserted wave washer has a slightly larger diameter than the hangar face and axle nut. Aesethetically it might not be perfect, but it's no big deal.
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Olsen

Post by Ron Olsen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:28 pm

Wesley!!!

You've found a use for all my 1/4" radikal axles! You da man!

RonO