Another success!

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Another success!

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:05 pm

Another great week of skating at the Park city High School. Most of the usual suspects were there, Kevin ripping as ever, Mike getting his Unlimited totally dialled in, Vincent looking more stylish every time he rides, Trish's husband Greg and son Nick ....plus a whole bunch of newcomers!

Bill Bordy, thanks for bringing the Alpine Race crew...you guys rock!
Just as a side note, Bill was a nationally ranked snowboard racer and after one session was clocking times within a second of the more experienced guys....Don't be surprised to see him at Morro, and if he's next to you in the start gate....Be afraid, be very afraid!

Kevin's attach to the tailgate start ramp was ingenious...more to come.

Martin.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:20 pm

Bordy, you rock! Keep it up!

Hello to you to, Martin ;)

Billy Bordy

Thanks Martin..

Post by Billy Bordy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 pm

Martin,

The hardbooter crew is stoked to see you thursday. I have been running the cones you lent me and have "cut" my first SL board from a Loaded Vanquard. Hopfully there will be some improvement from last week!

All of us Utah Locals can't thank you enough for the thursday sessions!

I should have the loaded demo line there on thursday also!

PS thanks for the props Vlad, Nice to see so many snow sliders have summer sliding going on!
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:51 pm

in the interest of slalom evangelism..........is there a snowboarders forum anywhere that would help us spread the word to new folks up in Michigan too?......slalom's more like snowboarding than it is street skateboarding.....and makes for good summer training

anybody have a site name?

Billy Bordy

try these

Post by Billy Bordy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:10 pm

www.hardbooter.com

www.bomberonline.com

www.catek.com

I am a little biased since i run hardbooter although!

We are about to launce a skating forum for crossover athletes.

We have a breif review on the loaded pintail and a long review on the loaded vanguard. In the reveiw section.
Last edited by Billy Bordy on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:10 pm

They wouldn't take it. It's been tried 100 times. Bummer promotes low-performance carveboard junk; it probably sells well.

ooops, clicked too late. I mean BoL. Hardbooter carries longboards this year.
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Bordy

vlad

Post by Billy Bordy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:13 pm

We are going to try to make a dent this year and a really charge next year!
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:15 pm

Previous post edited. You're fast online too, heh? ;)

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:42 pm

thanks for the leads.....one of them had links to snowboard groups in Michigan....cant hurt to try, aye?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Utah superstars!

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:28 am

Last night we had a wicked slalom session at Park City...15 strong at one point and the standard was high! Kev's ramp rocked as did he. His buddy Bob raced in the 70's and has STILL got it (however he did break my GUS! :( ). Billy and the Hardbooter.com crew were there with some VERY interestingly modified decks, but 17 yr old Vincent making an "impossible" course after only a few weeks riding was a high point. Utah Trish learnt to pump, slide and criddle like a rockstar...She and hubby Greg now need a second slalom board as she doesn't like to share her toys!
Good news for those who know the town...They just started putting new blacktop on a road just off Main Street that is slightly less pitch than Morro Main Street and about the same length....Hmmmm, might have to be a race next summer, we'll see.

This weeks award for the most ingenious use of a lounge chair.....DRUM ROLL...

Kevin Hornibrook!!!!

Here he is about to thrust himself down the ramp to glory!

And heres Billy Bordy charging off the same ramp...

See ya next week...

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:30 pm

You guys need to get a regional forum in the USA section on this site.

Troy Smart

Post by Troy Smart » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:37 pm

Damn. Kind of makes me want to move back!

Great to see that you've got a slalom scene going on.
P.C.'s a great place for that.
I'll bet you'll have 40+ skaters in no time.

Looks like you've got some snowboarders in there but don't forget the skiiers too.
I've always thought that the closest thing to skateboard slalom is skiing bumps.
Very similar feeling.
Maybe you can get the bump crew to do a little cross training.

Good luck with your shop Martin. (Trish alone should keep you in the black for a little while).

Get those COSS boys!

P.S. Get low Trish, jam on that rear foot, and DRIVE it like a big G.S. turn. Also, soak up what Martin tells you like a sponge.

P.P.S. Please grab the longboard and some slide gloves and take a run down Deer Valley Drive for me. Then get on the bus and do it again.

Billy Bordy

DVD

Post by Billy Bordy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:59 am

MMMMMM. Late night summer DVD beer runs..... Get off at the trainsit station have beer skate, repeat. Then end it off with a slurpee at the prospector seven eleven... when the(still free) bus stops running at two.
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

trish erickson

slalom in Utah

Post by trish erickson » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:46 pm

Hey Troy,

You should come back for a visit. We are having a blast here. Martin has been so great for bringing this here to Utah. And Billy and his crew are so cool. They are so supportive and faaaassst. With them around, I might have to try snowboarding this year. Thanks for the advice. I will definantly use all the advice I can get because now all I want to do is go faster! My next big adventure will be running cones on a hill. The parking lot is great but I wonder if I can do this going dooown. mmm. I will try and remember what it was like to ski bumps. Its been a few years to say the least. I will definantly do a ride down Deer Valley drive for ya. I will even slide into Mulligans and finish it off with a beer. Whatdaya say Billy? Wanna take the "loadeds" for a run? Again, Thanks Martin and all the guys for all the support and encouragement. can't wait till Thursday. And Martin, Troy is right......Let me know if those boards come in. I can't think of a better way at this time to spend my hard earned cash! LOL.

ride On,

utah Trish
ts

Billy Bordy

sure thing Trish

Post by Billy Bordy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm always up to skate!

We set SL on the hill below my house last night.. I had to learn to foot drag since it so much faster then we are used to. You are going to love it.... We are hoping to skate tonight but are going out on the lake for some boating so we may not be back in time. We skated untill midnight last night.

Billy
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

SLCMunchie

Post by SLCMunchie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Yea boyiez!

good to see that start ramp up and going proper style. i have to admit i was a little scared a few weeks ago when my wheels broke through the masonite.

been AWOL for a few weeks, but plan on rippin it up this thursday. Billy- bring those loaded boards for sure. i had a loaded fish for a while that i liked- i'd be interested to try the other models.

who's up for the hills? we should start scoping some good places to set on an incline. at very least a bus shuttle ride up to deer valley drive.

anybody ever checked out the road coming back to town from the lower parking lot at deer valley?

lates,

Mike

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

They are coming out of the woodwork!

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:12 am

Got a phonecall today from a guy who was winning slalom races back in the 70's on a Turner and lives in SLC. He will show up one of these thursdays....amazing! They are still out there, kinda reminds me of when they find Japanese soldiers on Pacific Islands.
The Utah numbers are growing....
Would anyone be interested in us holding a little outlaw race at the end of the season? And maybe helping organise a big race in town next summer?

trish erickson

Races in Park city

Post by trish erickson » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:21 pm

Hey SLCmunchie,

We acually have been talking about setting cones on a hill. I have found one in Heber. New development. Nice pavement. And not sooo steep. If you go futher up it gets lonboarding steep and it has a great corner that rolls down into a cul-de-sac. very nice. I think maybe we should plan to ride it one night.

And an outlaw race! oh ya that would be great and bringing a race here would be awsume. I might even compete! Hey Martin, I am going to stop by thursday and get one of those boards you have in. Just got to figure which one now. Too many choices, not enough dough! See ya all thursday.

P.S. I think billy might be out of town this week.

Utah Trish
ts

trish erickson

Da Farm and Billy

Post by trish erickson » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:54 pm

Hey Guys,

Billy is going to DA Farm this weekend! Rock on Billy. I think you should do well in the downhill. Described as "Snowboard turns" Good luck and if you can, let us know how you do. Look up Troy Smart for me. Give him a hug- LOL He's my Brother. Also Say hi to Marion Karr- He needs a hug too. He will be the big guy wearing A downhill Billies shirt. And Most important-----Drink lotsa beer for us!

Utah Trish
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Be afraid...be very afraid!

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:16 am

Yup, Billy is Farm-bound! Say Hi to TK, Tway and all the Eastcoasters, I had a ball at Farm 1.0.
Trish, Mr.Bordy already bought and set-up the Pocket Pistol Chicken Wing and it looks good, he will do fine, the first of our Utah boys to do a comp this year...
See ya Thursday,

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Thank you Farmers..

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:35 am

I wasn't there, but the stoke is infectious! Thats the sort of vibe a comp should have. Thanks guys for showing my friend Billy Bordy wonderful hospitality, just spoke to him on the phone and he is almost out of superlatives to decribe what a good time he had!
Billy, you did the Utah crew proud, well done for getting Best Rookie...You rule!

Need to persuade my wife that we need to be there next year!

Martin.

Mark Harris

New Blood

Post by Mark Harris » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:48 am

Hey All, bringing a group of my snowboard/ski athletes to your fine city. New riders getting exposed to skate slalom. Looking forward to meeting everyone and breaking them in right. Somebody make sure Bordy shows up, see you thursday. -Mark

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Great to meet you!

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:27 am

Another awesome skate session with lots of new, and talented faces, glad you brought your guys Mark! Utah has more talented skaters than I dared hope and so many of them are under 20...How long before they make us old farts train seperately...
I think we had 20 people at one point. Its so cool! Kevin even lets the little Hispanic local kids ride his spare boards...

PCTV did some filming and it should be on the live section tomorrow between Midday and 1pm or 7pm-8pm.
Try and see/record it!

Also good luck to Trish who, if she gets the weekend off, will be going to the US nationals next weekend!
A special mention to the cameraman's brother, Logan, who rode in Birkenstocks SANDALS!...This 15yr old is one of the most gifted riders I have ever met, blazing through a difficult course his 1st time ever on a slalom board getting very respectable times....Incredible! If I had the money, I would send him to Morro...HE WOULD PODIUM!