A BIG Race in Park City....Summer '06?

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

A BIG Race in Park City....Summer '06?

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:55 pm

Well, we've talked about it....Should we do it? What are everyones ideas?
I suppose we need to find out who to talk to, and where they will let us use before we can decide on events... Personally I would love to see a dual TS somewhere very public...Think they would re-surface the bottom of Main Street for us?

I will contact some experienced Race organisers/Promoters for advice and feedback...
Things to think about:
Cost
Insurance
Facilities
Pro/Am or A/B
Entry Fees
T-Shirts
PA System
Events
Course Setting
Dual Timing
Prizes
Coneheads
Date of the event (avoiding clashes)
-and-
having it run successfully while a lot of us want to race!!!!

Billy Bordy

O-Kay

Post by Billy Bordy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:02 pm

We can easily make all this happen.

Lets do it!
2edges.

Billy
www.hardbooter.com
alpine dedicated

trish erickson

It can happen

Post by trish erickson » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:16 am

I think park city would be a great venue. I would do anything to help pull it off! I so want to race this next summer and it would be great to have a big venue so close to home. If we do it right, I think the townspeople of park city would be very supportive. Duel TS hummm....coming from the ts champion. LOL. Always nice to have the homecourt advantage. I will keep in touch with Marion (fearless leader of the DHB's) and see what he has to say. He is right in the middle of pulling off the Dixie cup in South Carolina this weekend and so far, sounds like he has a bunch of world class races coming. He will be able to give some insight and the cool thing is...HE HAS KEPT HIS STOKE AND PASSES IT ON! It can happen and I for one would like to do it!

Have fun in LA martin.

hopefully sunday stays clear so we can jam one more time.

Ride on,

Trish
ts

Bob Harper

You Know I'm Down

Post by Bob Harper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:32 am

Hey Upc
I'm Dying to ride, Havn't got a chance to do it since Billy's house.
Any howse if you need any help with orginizing let me know.
One thing that is coverd I own a P.A. system. Yeah it true I tried to be a Rock Star now I'm
just another Skateboard Slalom Geek
Hope to see yawl soon Bob

trish erickson

Piggly-wiggly rock star!

Post by trish erickson » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:35 am

somehow Bob, I could picture you as a rock star! Sunday riding in for you? Kevin says he found a sweet spot in Logan and I would be up for a ride in Logan..anyone else?
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Lets make the race happen...

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:47 am

It was cool to see so many people out at a really worthwhile session this Thursday, but unexpected benefits are already coming from the get together...

1) The General Manager of the Newpark Complex says not only are they building an 80,000 sq.ft. lot for retail, a hotel and housing, BUT HE WANTS US TO SKATE THERE!!!!!!! He would like to sponsor races as he thinks we are the sort of cool event that will generate interest and steal some of the original Main Street's thunder!

2) The head of Skullcandy http://www.skullcandy.com/ was watching and said that as a local company that they want to get involved too with individual and race sponsorship. I had a meeting with him today and he is as good as his word! How big is the company? They are making all the in-helmet entertainment for BURTON & GIRO! That big enough for you?

Those of us that were there at the very end were talking about this years comp and were of the conclusion that it may be worth sacrificing staging it at "The Hill" in favour of somewhere more visible like the Redstone/Newpark area...WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK?

It would be on a slight slope, for example, if we used the road that we were crossing on our run-ins which would also give us room for a decent 55+ cone course. We could then approach the surrounding businesses to get involved financially and/or with prizes as well as the normal skate sources. Who knows what other companies would want to get involved!

Now this will only happen if as a group several of us get involved. Scott has very kindly offered his years of experience of putting on Ski Races and wants to help run things on the day rather than race. Personally I will do as much as I did last year, but this time I plan to race too!

Anyone else want to help? It doesn't matter on what level, ALL help will be appreciated...

Things to think about:
Cost
Insurance-who do we approach? Trish...Ask Marion for advice?
Facilities-plenty of loos if we use Redstone.
Pro/Am or A/B/C-Time available will be an issue.
Entry Fees-Not if, but how much.
T-Shirts-HELL YEAH! Any ideas Chris/Mike?
PA System/MC-Hmmm, anyone got equipment?...
Events-TS and Hybrid?
Course Setting-Who sets? We all have time to learn how.
Dual Timing or single lane-Depends on what gear we can get.
Prizes- To be allocated like last time or selected by commitee beforehand?
Coneheads-Local kids, family, friends? Do we pay/give gifts to?
Date of the event (avoiding clashes)-September is best time weather-wise (Sept 15th is La Costa)
Commitee-Should we form one?

Lets hear it UPC...

Chris Peddecord

Post by Chris Peddecord » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:26 am

In my opinion, visibility is huge. For example, the blood donor from Thursday's session whom had never picked up a slalom board was intrigued by the idea as were his friends. They just happened to be passing by and curious. Furthermore, visibility got us the guy from Newpark to stop by, right?

As for format, dual lane. Watching one guy go at it is cool, but is honestly not exciting to the common spectator. If equipment is a limiting factor, would Brower (or however you spell) be able to rent equipment out?

Venue is a hard sell, though. If it were possible, the entrance to that shopping center has a decent grade to it and is extremely visible.

miKe M

Post by miKe M » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:10 pm

man! i'm sorry i missed last session! looks like a lot went down.

anywho, i'm totally in for setting up the race as well. i got the extensive email from Scott Murphy today as well. in my opinion, it dosent' need to be as huge as he is setting it up to be. i think just a little more organization from last year's race and some definite delegation as to certain tasks and we should be fine. we need insurance yes, but dosent' the new SSRA offer this? i think that would be key. i would also like to tackle the task of holding a park slalom if you think we can generate enough interest. i've already had a few emails with David Hackett discussing what needs to happen. i think the guys at skullcandy would be very down for this sort of thing. so, rather than set up a formal club with a non-profit and all that, i think we just need a few people to buck up for possibly the following positions:

chief of race- dude that brings it all together- i.e. timing, recording of timing, course setting and safety, classes/divisions, etc.
Head Timer- person who oversees the timing.
Course Setter (more than one if more than one race)
Head Cone Head
Prize Master- determines who is getting what and directs/ drums up the donation of these items....
admin type person who sets up promotion and insurance and all that....

so, we should set up a post session (or pre) and discuss what needs to happen. i'm also totally on the ball if we decide we want to incorporate a park slalom. i'll try to find some links to format and previous course footage....

oh yea, venue! i think redstone would be ok with lots of visibility, but can we get some grade somewhere? i think people like hackett are right when he talks about people liking slalom, but GS on a good hill?!?!? i think that will get even more respect/buzz about our sport. but, flatland with a proper ramp would be cool too....

laters,

mike

trish erickson

yes to a race

Post by trish erickson » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Hey All,

I have to say I have not responded yet because of my busy schedule with my new job. It takes a lot of my time. Which is why I would love to put on a race but I am afraid I cannot give as much time as might be needed to help out. And I really have no idea were to start. I will most defiantly do what I can. maybe have the CHIEF, whoever that might be, give me a simple assingment? I can arrange for coneheads, food stuff, mom stuff! LOL. Lets keep it grassroots! Thats why I like to skate so much. The people who skate are sooo cool. I love to compete but only because its so much fun. I say lets do it!

As for Thursday, I won't be there but I am working sunday in Salt Lake. I might just have to have my boards stowed in the ambulance! Anybody mind if I park my ambulance at the end of the course? LOL.
ts

miKe M

Post by miKe M » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:34 pm

Trish-

most definitely bring your boards sunday! maybe we can take one of your gurneys for a spin....

i might just be jonsing to skate after a long windless weekend. give me a call if you feel like skating sunday. 801-971-2380.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Good news on the race!

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:47 am

Just got an email and call from Max Paap, Special Events Director for Park City Council... He has suggested putting the race on at Quinn's Jct. where they have just finished building new car parks... There is a BIG Youth day on Oct.9th encouraging kids to get involved with winter sports that he says we could co-headline with.
Also, he said CLOSING OFF THE BOTTOM OF MAIN STREET FOR A RACE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM in the future, once it is re-surfaced (maybe next summer)!!!!!!! How cool would that be!
I'll swing by Quinn's in a day or so and check it out...Is Oct 9th too late weather-wise?

trish erickson

race in october

Post by trish erickson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:41 am

I think a race in October is a great time and to coincide with a youth activity is even better. AND....Hood River is just waaay to far to drive, so I am more than willing to have a race locally.

I won't be back for the next Thursdays session because after the race in Hood, we are going to drive down the Oregon coast. I will definantly hook up with you all after that.

see ya all soon,

Trish
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Quinn's Junction-possible race venue...

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:57 am

I also had a look at Quinn's Junction Car Park, a suggested venue for our race... It is the same size as Redstone (and so too small), but a 10/10 surface as it has NEVER been driven or ridden on! Pity...