Good Luck and Thankx Martin

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Bob Harper

Good Luck and Thankx Martin

Post by Bob Harper » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:47 am

If you don't know UPC's Martin Drayton has to go back to the United Kingdom.
Martin has been a great influence to the slalom community of Utah and has even reached me in Southern Idaho. Even though I have years of experience running cones his course setting always gave me a challenge and a learning experience. Going to Longmont and competing in the U.S. Nationals was one of the greatest experiences of my 30 years of skating.
Martin I know I'm not only speaking for myself when I say you're loved by all. You take what you love and pass it on to others. You have more gold in your heart than you could ever win on the podium, a great wife, and a daughter that loves you to dearly.
Good Luck in England and your absence will be noticed.
We'll finish what you started.
Love Bob Harper
and the rest of the U.P.C. team

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Re: Good Luck and Tankx Martin

Post by Jonathan Harms » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 am

Bob Harper wrote:If you don't know UPC's Martin Drayton has to go back to the United Kingdom.
Seems like he just got there! Bob, can you (or Martin) tell us more about why Martin "has to" leave the USA? Martin is indeed a great guy--or should I say a "top geezer"? :-) So I am hoping it's his choice rather than some bogus bureaucratic reason, and that it's in pursuit of a rewarding opportunity and a better life for himself and his family. Best of luck, Martin!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Yeah that would suck if it's not his choice.

Martin, if you need a green card, I'll marry you. But it will have to be a sham marriage, like the one I'm in now. :-)

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 pm

hmmm....I dont know....you know, those Trinidadians (?) have an anarchistic reputation....probably followed him around like a plague... : )

Marty?.....what's the scoop?......are you uprooting the whole family?....or are you coming back?

trish erickson

sailing to England

Post by trish erickson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:48 pm

If it hadn't been for Martin and his love for skating, I would not be racing today. Nor would I have met the coolest people in Utah. Meeting and skating with Martin, Bob, Kevin, Mike Billy, Scott and his kids, Tiff and Jared....wow the list goes on. What a great sport to be exposed to. It's cool to watch and just about anybody can give it a go. Martin was more than willing to let anyone jump on one of his Roes and try it out. He loaned me a bunch of his cones knowing he might not get them back! He was the best coach in Colorado. And he has the best supporting wife and dautgher. I don't think I've skated better than at the Nationals. Martin, you will be missed, but rest assured, We will continue while you are "visiting" England. And we will be better skaters so you will have harder competion when you get back!

Love,

Trish U.P.C
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Lump in my throat...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:55 am

Damn! I started reading it and thought I'd died! Thank you for all the kind words.
And yes, it is a stupid bureaucratic reason. You cannot have more than 3 years of consecutive H2B workers Visas without having a six month break, hence our departure.
Park City Mountain Resort, my employers, would rather I left at the end of this winter so that I can work for them next winter. I have taught almost 2000 hrs of snowboarding over the last 3 seasons, 70% of which were Request lessons, so they DEFINATELY want me back!
It will be major hassle, selling the house, putting stuff in storage, finding a place when we get back etc....but the silver lining on the cloud, after 12 summers running summer snowboard camps and 2 summers at the Park City "Labour Camp" doing 14 hr days of heavy manual labour...I have the summer off being Daddy Day-Care with Maya in Hove (nr. Brighton) and getting in a little skating on the seafront.

I will miss the UPC Crew, we had a blast! I will keep checking on you guys through this site. Please keep up the good work and carry on the campaign for World domination! Trish - Rookie of the Year? YOU ROCK! Kevin sticking it to the visitors to our little race, Bob and the rest of the crew getting better every session-I hope I get pushed that hard down on the South Coast. Give Scott all the help you can as the next race will have to be even bigger and better than last years and he will need all the help he can get.

In the words of one of your more eloquent, and more muscular, statesmen...."I'll be back!"
See y'all next winter,

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi martin,

I will be moving to park city next september, be sure to let me know when you come back here !

trish erickson

good bye to Martin

Post by trish erickson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:14 am

Hey All,

First I have to say I am really sorry that I missed the party at Scott's house. I had forgotten that it was Easter weekend and my kids where on spring break. We had previous plans to visit family in Southern Utah. I did meet up with Martin today to say goodbye to him and his wife. He also left us UPC'ers with his cones. It was hard to see him go. I almost cried as I drove away. Skating has changed my life and skating and training with Martin was the begining of all that. Martin, you will be missed this summer.

I can't wait to continue my training on Thursday nights!

Pierre-Yves, Keep an eye on this forum and when you get into town, look us up!
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Hey Panda!

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Hey Pierre-Yves what will you be doing here? Do you ski/Snowboard?