Utah Skate sessions... Summer 2009

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Utah Skate sessions... Summer 2009

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:30 am

So guys, where should we set up our sessions? Anyone got any preference over evenings? I have some GS/HS board testing to do and would love to find some new hills...

Martin.

trish erickson

Keep the cones in my back yard!

Post by trish erickson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:04 pm

I say we ride the hills of Heber. I have all of Martin's cones and I would have to give them up if we ride anywhere else! LOL. I do know there are some good hills just east of Heber. new roads. I will scope them out next week after it stops snowing. Martin, do you still live by the lake? How are the roads there?
ts

Curt Chapman

Re: Utah Skate sessions... Summer 2009

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:So guys, where should we set up our sessions? Anyone got any preference over evenings? I have some GS/HS board testing to do and would love to find some new hills...

Martin.
Most of these are still available with no new construction: (The economy in the crapper is good for some things.....)

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=6035

Of course I'm partial to these spots, as they're 10 minutes from my house.

Jared Quilter

Post by Jared Quilter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 am

Skully - I'll be setting up some cones in the northeast parking lot by the E-Center during lunch on days when the weather is decent.

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:53 am

Jared Quilter wrote:Skully - I'll be setting up some cones in the northeast parking lot by the E-Center during lunch on days when the weather is decent.
Yummy...

I love cones for lunch. Just let me know when.

Got a couple more weeks of snow season, but I can load all the skate gear in the car....

Bob Harper

Summer 09

Post by Bob Harper » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 am

Keep the boiz up north posted
Kevin and I want to wiggle with you guyz

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:21 am

We will, but just had another 19" overnight and its still bloody snowing!!!!

MD

trish erickson

Skiis for the slalom decks

Post by trish erickson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 am

I am sooo sick of snow! I wanna skate. Bob, I would love to skate. Call me when you make the trip to Heber. Martin, I finally got to ride PC on Monday but you where out? Bummer. I rode bad anyway. I did a number on my shoulder. I crashed on it early snowboard season and again in Texas. Subluxation. I had it looked at finally. Gonna take time and rehab. I so wanted to ride that superpipe at least once but I refrained.

I have a question for you guys. I picked up a Pavel foam core deck and I need to grip tape it. I noticed that the wood exposed on top does not have any kind of sealant. Do I need that before I tape it? I love this deck and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

As for training at the E-Center....what time is lunch? I would love to join the whigglefest lunch crew!
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: Skiis for the slalom decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:05 am

trish erickson wrote:
I have a question for you guys. I picked up a Pavel foam core deck and I need to grip tape it. I noticed that the wood exposed on top does not have any kind of sealant. Do I need that before I tape it? I love this deck and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.
Drop Donald a line...

trish erickson

training day

Post by trish erickson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 am

Ok gang,

I got my board set up and I am wanting to train for Hood. I noticed that Bob has signed up as well! Cool! I just read Patrick's post about the sport event in August. We sooo need to set up a demo or a race. But in the mean-time, I have a few tentative dates I can ride. I hav'nt got my May or June scheduled for the fire job but currently I have off the following days in May: 10th, 12, 14, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30. Lets try and all get together and ride!
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:18 am

Sounds good, I'll defo be in for some early ones, I have to meet up with you anyway...you have ALL my cones! ;)
The question is though, where? I did see some new developments that have stopped on the left hand side before Deer Mountain/Tod Hollow when you head from PC to Kamas, but my car died so I can't check it out yet.
MD

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu May 14, 2009 6:13 am

Great session at the new spot, quiet, secluded and deceptively quick! Thanks Trish, are you around tomorrow?

MD

trish erickson

Sunday, May 24

Post by trish erickson » Tue May 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey Idaho suds! Ya gotta try and be here Sunday. Martin and I found some more really nice hills with butter smooth pavement. Same area he posted pictures of. Great views too! I would really love to make it a party for ya!

As far as you Brighton people and SLC folks....come up to Gods country for a day if ya can. 40 minutes max from SLC. The more the merry!

hope to see ya soon.
ts

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed May 20, 2009 8:04 am

Howz 'bout an afternoon / evening session? Mornings don't work for me right now, well, maybe in a couple of weeks a Saturday morning would work, after soccer and softball gets out for the summer....

You Summit co. folks can drive down to the southwestern part of the Salt Lake valley too. Martin, this hill is still waiting patiently for you:

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed May 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Curt,

My issue is going to be free time... In a couple of days I start my two jobs and my available time to skate will almost disappear! I will be working 6 days a week and both the shop and Resort are open until 8 or 9 pm through most of the summer.
However up until the 12th June, Park City closes early at 6 pm, so I should be able to skate Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday after work up until then, so travelling to South Salt Lake is not really a viable option for me with the time I'll have left.

I can skate this Sunday and was planning to fully session the new spot, Trish is coming and Bob and Kevin may come down. Pics are here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.ph ... 9&view=all
See ya soon,

Martin.

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Thu May 21, 2009 11:04 am

Can't wait
Kevin and I are coming down hope to see all.
I'm a little rusty after a long winters nap. but my game should come back qwik.
see yall sunday

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun May 24, 2009 5:19 am

Hi guys,
the forecast is not looking good,
http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandg ... _graph_tab
must be my fault bringing English weather with me! I will still go as its not far for me, but I'm going for an early start to try to catch the window... up to you whether you want to brave it,

Martin.

ps. dammit, probably my ONLY chance of a Sunday skate this Summer!

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Tue May 26, 2009 9:21 pm

So, did anyone make the trek, or was it totally rained out?

Rained most all day at my place.....

When's the next attempted session?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed May 27, 2009 4:22 am

Curt C wrote:So, did anyone make the trek, or was it totally rained out?

Rained most all day at my place.....

When's the next attempted session?
I braved it as I was nearest and was rewarded with 1 1/2 hrs of clear blue sky overhead while I watched the rain divide and pass me heading for Park City and Kamas...spooky! But when it wheeled round, I only just got the cones gathered up before the taps got turned on bigtime!

Skating alone isn't that much fun, but when you have a timer, it rocks! I learn something new every time I skate.
I am off again on Thursday morning, but I think last Sunday was my only weekend session of the summer due to my work schedules :(
It will probably be Thursday evenings for me this Summer, does that work for anyone?

MD

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed May 27, 2009 6:28 am

Martin Drayton wrote:It will probably be Thursday evenings for me this Summer, does that work for anyone?
MD
Thursdays should work for me in two more weeks (2 more sofball games, that I know of, then we're done... For a while anyway.)

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Thu May 28, 2009 11:33 am

hey guys
sunday was a bummer for me
I got as far as kevins house and got timid. logan to pc is a long drive to get rained out.
but keep us up north posted on the sessions.
we feel the need for speed.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri May 29, 2009 4:17 am

We will keep you posted Bob... Trish and I had a great slalom session today. Normally there is a slight headwind making the tricky course slightly easier, but today there was no wind and we flew! It definitely made it tougher, but we learnt a lot about wheel choice!

See you soon,

MD

ps.Trish said she was going to get Norski's contact details for you, you have to come to the World Champs!!!

Curt Chapman

Lunchtime Wiggling.

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 am

Jared and I have been trying to do some wiggling for lunch now and then...

If anyone is in the vicinity of the E-center around luchtime (and it's not raining), hit one of us up and feel free to join us...

We need to try another weekend, or weeknight get together....

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Nice, I'll try to come on a rare day off...
- What time do you usually start/finish?
- Are you there this friday?
- ever do it after work?

MD

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:58 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:Nice, I'll try to come on a rare day off...
- What time do you usually start/finish?
- Are you there this friday?
- ever do it after work?

MD
The lunchtime rides are usuall ride between probably 11 - 11y:30 am, and 12:30 - 1:00 pm. Today was a rain-out, maybe Thursday this week?

If we get together after work, I say we find a better hill....

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:38 pm

The Rain Sucks I just swept my hill down just to get rained out. If it's dry saturday Kevin and I are hitting it. If any one wants to come to Preston Id. we'll be there at 11 a.m.
If you want to come leave a post and I'll give you directions.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Bob - I'm afraid work means no weekends for me this summer :(...
Curt - As of next week, my only day off will be Wednesday, which I'm guessing will become a "Family" Day, but there are times it will co-incide with Maya's Summer camps and I'll make it down on a lunchtime.
Trish and I have managed a few sessions up here together when my free time and her shifts are in sync, but it would be nice to skate with some people now and then!

Later,

MD

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:02 am

Miss Trish, let me know when you have free time on your schedule...I've done a couple of early morning sessions before work (and rain!) and yesterday got a 14.00 second raw on the TS course (2 cones down).
Lets do some Hybrid and hit the BIG hill! The resort has now switched to longer hours (10am-8.30pm, pity its crap money, my 1st paycheck was the same as I paid in tax during the winter) and the shop is 9am-6pm, so that leaves me with just Wednesdays off...

MD

trish erickson

rain, schedules!

Post by trish erickson » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:05 am

Rain Rain go AWAY! Jeeze.

But if it ever does stop raining, I would love to join you all for Lunch. I too, would love some company. I work in SLC so I can get away for a few I think. So Curt and Jared, if you guys end up skating on a lunch break, would you be willing to txt me with a day and time? I always have my gear with me so if nothing at work is pressing, I will sneak away. My number is 435-671-1117. Thanks!

Bob, I would drive up there in a heart beat but I am leaving for the weekend of family camping and wakeboarding! It's fathers day so enjoy it!

Martin.....I miss training wit ya. I do work the next 2 Thursdays but I will keep ya posted. I have been out skating in my area a few times but it sucks. I can't set a course for anything!

Man! gone are the days we could just drop everything and go skate huh!?
ts

trish erickson

wed skate date?

Post by trish erickson » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:09 am

Martin! 14 raw! That's impressive! That's fast people! I am off Wed. I get home around 830 am or so. If you want to train, please call me. I need to run that GS hill for sure.
ts

Curt Chapman

Saturday Morning

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Anyone up for an EARLY session Saturday?

Early enough to beat the rain?

Early enough so people who have to work Saturday can make it to work?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Sorry, I have to be at work 8.30am....don't think I can crawl out of my pit earlier than that!

MD

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:34 pm

I ran away to Jared's favorite hill for a couple of hours over the weekend. It's still in great shape.

Needs a little sweeping, but there's no new construction in the area yet.

If anyone wants to spend an evening, some time on a Saturday or Sunday in beatifful Herriman, let me know.....

(An old photo, but you get the idea...)

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Martin,

Keep us updated on your early-morning sessions. (Either here or via the email list....)

I might be able to do an early morning up near browns canyon and sneak into work late once in a while....

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:56 am

I'll keep ya posted...my ankle is STILL sore!
Did you hear? They re-paved main Street, Park City...smooth as a baby's bottom!