[2009] Action Sports Weekend - Park City?

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

[2009] Action Sports Weekend - Park City?

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:09 am

Looks like Patrick is getting something going....He just sent me this:

Pro Forma for Action Sports Weekend in Park City, Utah

This weekend in August 2009 will focus on the theme of a weekend beach party in the
mountains of Park City Utah. Skateboarding, snowboarding, surfing, and skiing will be
presented in several venues. A skate board contest will be held at the Skateboard
Park on Saturday and Sunday from 10 am to 3 pm with the entire event filmed. The Park will be used by a professional skate board teams as well.

The parking lot or regular park can be used for vendors selling skateboards, accessories, clothing, and other items including foods. On Saturday and/or Sunday surfing and skating films can be shown at the library with a schedule. Classic and current skate, surf, and ski/snowboard films can shown. Another option would be to show a film at the Town Lift similar to the Shaun White film in October, 2008.
Use of the larger open air venue brings a lot of people into the Main Street area. It is also possible to have a concert in Park City with either local bands or a band with regional draw.

A weekend experience would allow for promotion in Utah, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, and Idaho. These states have large populations of skaters, skiers, snowboarders and surfers. Park City can be accessed by car from all these states, for those that cannot or choose not to fly. Having past and present names from all these action sports is another draw that will be another way to promote inter-state marketing for Park City, Utah.

A budget is being developed for costs and projections, with a tentative projection of 3000 people minimum attendance. Some will come to spend the weekend, especially out of state sports enthusiasts. These crossover sports have lots of people that do 4 out of 4. Slalom skating was demonstrated at the Show Down on Main Street in October 2006, and brought participants from 5 states including and 1 participant from England. Skate park, longboard, slalom, street skating, and other styles can be demonstrated by professionals. X-96 can be brought in for one or both days.

Filming interviews with past and present professionals from all sports who come will be integrated with interviews with the competitors. Interviews with persons in the crowd will be part of the filming, as will be the music. An interview with Mayor Dana Williams will be done as well, with a demonstration of his current skating skills.

Current planning and consulting has provisional sponsors that include:
RPM Productions, Park City, Utah;
Cole Sports, Park City; DC Shoes, Park City and corporate; Orions Music and Mountain Stages, Park City, Vans Park City and corporate, Salty Peaks in Salt Lake City, Skull Candy and the The Film Series in Park City.

Continuing/potential contacts: Park City Mountain Resort; Quiksilver, Park City and corporate; Billabong, Park City and corporate; Rossignol corporate; The Sports Authority, Park City, and corporate; The Click, Park City; Destination Sports, Park City; Bazooka, Park City Utah; Jan’s Sports, Park City; Milo Sports, Provo and Salt Lake City; CarveBoard, Encinitas, California; Sector 9, Encinitas, California; Water Men’s Guild, Santa Ana, California; The Educational Foundation, Park City, Utah; National Ability Center, Park City, Utah. Outlying retail sports stores in Salt Lake City and other Utah cities.

If you want to volunteer : Share The Love, Mahalo !!! All donations and monies will be distributed to the National Ability Center, Education Foundation, Park City, and The Snowbird Snow Sports Educational Foundation. Let’s show the World how cool Utah is !!!

Patrick Mahoney @ 435-659-1271

I don't know any further details yet, or even the date in August! There are also rumours of a race of some kind being set up in Salt Lake organised by some of the Hardbooter.com guys.... I'll let you know when I do!

MD

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

New ashphalt....

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:54 pm

News just in, they are resurfacing Main Street on monday....Hmmmm. Maybe its not too late to add a slalom event...

MD

Curt Chapman

Re: New ashphalt....

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:News just in, they are resurfacing Main Street on monday....Hmmmm. Maybe its not too late to add a slalom event...

MD
Are you serious Martin?

Let's do it!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: New ashphalt....

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:07 am

Curt C wrote:
Martin Drayton wrote:News just in, they are resurfacing Main Street on monday....Hmmmm. Maybe its not too late to add a slalom event...

MD
Are you serious Martin?

Let's do it!
Main Street, Park City resurfaced on Monday... smooth as a baby's bottom!
ImageImage
Does that look good or what? We had a race here in 2006 and it was super rough, ever since this has been finished, skaters are coming out of the woodwork locally to ride it!
I wonder if there is still time to get a race set up this season?

MD

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 am

do it do it
Main street looks hot
That must be your good ankle in the pic cuz it looks pretty hot to.
Hope we can meet up soon.
Bob

trish erickson

Post by trish erickson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:50 am

I'm in!
ts

Jason Bortolussi

Post by Jason Bortolussi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:29 pm

Me too!

Do it

Bob Harper

ACTION SPORT

Post by Bob Harper » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Martin any word on the action sport weekend and you mentioned a possible race put on by the Hard Booter Boiz . Is that Sk8 or booterboarding.
My work hours are changing next week. Maybe I can convince Kevin to go down for an early morning wiggle fest. Keep me posted

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Bob, looks like there isn't enough lead time to do a race at the same time... :(
As for a Hardbooter Race, it was something Dave said to me at the end of the winter and I haven't heard anything since. maybe Curt could chat to him?

MD

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:Hi Bob, looks like there isn't enough lead time to do a race at the same time... :(
As for a Hardbooter Race, it was something Dave said to me at the end of the winter and I haven't heard anything since. maybe Curt could chat to him?

MD
Hmmm...

I still don't understand exacly what the whole "Action Sports Weekend" thing is about... Are we doing a slalom demo or something? Where at? If mainstreet is available, why not put on a "low-key" race like the outlaw that you guys put on way back when? Single-lane, jam-session type thing? Bragging rights for the winners? I think there are a quite a few folks within driving distance that would show up, especially if we had permits to garauntee that there would be racing. It doesn't have to be a huge, world-class, all-out event to have some fun, does it?

As far as Dave / Hardbooter putting on a race, I'll hit him up, but I haven't heard from him all summer....

P.S... Anyone heard from the Smurph's lately?

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:58 am

I would love to come down and participate in a slalom demo. and an out law with bragging right is all right by me. When it comes to racing I've always been in it for the fun first. That's why I was totally elated with coming in 14th at Hood. So keep us posted, I'm sure Kevin would love to come as well. Lets show that Ski/Snowboard town what cross training is all about.
Wiggle On Bob
P.S. I still haven't seen a date for this action sports weekend. Let me Know

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:20 pm

The Action Sports Weekend is the last weekend in August and I'm sure patrick could be persuaded to include a slalom demo somewhere.... maybe the Miners Park like before.

But getting Main Street is a 4-6 month minimum process Curt. I went to 4 meetings with the Mayor, Town Council, Retailers Assoc and the City. Completed and paid for 3 permits yada, yada, yada.... its not just something they let you just do, thats why I've always been reticent to do it again. Its super time consuming and hard work especially as I had help from only one or two people last time.

Does anyone have contact details for Patrick? He left his job so his e-mail no longer functions, I left messages on his phone but got no replies...

MD

Curt Chapman

Post by Curt Chapman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:But getting Main Street is a 4-6 month minimum process Curt.
Ah. I thought Patrick said in one of his emails that Main Street was available. (I was obviosly not one of the ones helping last time - I have no idea what it actually takes to put on a race....)

I did hear back from Dave / Hardbooter, and the economy is so great, that there's no way to host a race... :(

Outlaw in Herriman?

(We could proabably actually come up with permits to host a race on some of those roads with no construction on them, or at a park, but as I already said, I have no idea what to do / how to host a race.....)