CHIxILL Midnight Special: Downhill Tested to 47.5+mph

CHIxILL Slalom Skateboards

Moderators: Chris Favero, Chris Novatny

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

CHIxILL Midnight Special: Downhill Tested to 47.5+mph

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:36 am

Okay filling Oles shoes is not easy to do. He managed to race his Midnight Special at Dixie in all three events; GS, Hybrid, and TS with great success.

This weekend in Texas we posted a new speed record on Big View Hill for the deck at 47.5mph. No socks and yes..., in Topsiders. BTW, @33" this was the shortest deck in the race. Karl raced great on 36" and all the rest were regular downhill speedboards with drop-ins, etc. the whole kabang. JBH looks pretty sexy in his two-piece leathers :)

I had a great time - TY Texas Outlaws!!! That hill is gnarly....

Thank you Kevin Dunne for the camera work.

SL

<a href="javascript:var target=window.open('http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... height=412');">Stephen Lavin Downhill</a>
LAVIN

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Steve,thanks for proving the deck on such a Gnarly hill.Mike"Money" raced a midnight special and is hooked,so are several other Outlaws.The Big Black,which I raced in the hybrid,literally put me in the A bracket,which I have not seen for a while.The Oles Sled Zepplin" drops this week.People have been raving about the F-Bomb too!
Skateboard decks designed and made by Skaters for Skaters that can handle and thrive in Gnarly situations!I appreciate the efforts of the Team proving this again and again and again.......
Cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:11 pm

TopSider you are my Hero bro. All I can say was watching you take you runs was knarly. Don't ever change your style and I will wait patiently for the Hi Top model. C-Fav I luv you my brother you killed it. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws/Pavel Rider Image

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:02 pm

Way to go Stephen!! I just got my Mid Night Special a few days ago...I have it mounted w/ Split fires front and back... On the shorter wheel base. What trucks and wheels were you running?? Lovin' my new ride in the 50 degree weather!
Thanks Feak Bro's !!!! You guys rock!!!!

Dave

P.S I can feel that extra snap the Formica affords!!!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:21 am

Radikal Talons (1/4" axles), clear purple Avilas (from the Purple Skunk, SF), Ninja Abec 7 bearings. I drilled an extra set of holes another 1" to the rear of the stock holes in the hotel room the night before after hearing about how steep and gnarly that hill was. My boxers are still a bit damp from the first run :)
SL
LAVIN

Ron Olsen

Post by Ron Olsen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Steve,

I saw the video - you guys are nuts! But congrats on your run and the incredible speed. I am not really sure I'd have done it...

RonO

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:50 pm

D-A-N-G........After watching one of the vids I'm kicking myself for not going....

Congrats to my Chixill mates for pointing it down that hill!!!

Oh, Stephen, filling my shoes is easy...............and with laces.....they'll even stay on ;-)

I'm making minor adjustments to my riding style now that I've got the Sled-Zepplin, that
and a healthy dose of Dolly Madison Zingers and I should be on track for some skillfully
laid knee slides come spring time...

Can't wait to see everyone!!

Greg Stubbs

Post by Greg Stubbs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:09 pm

ChiXill ripped and all had smiles on their faces! I'm stoked you guys made it down. Hope to see everyone again next year!

Adam Winston

Post by Adam Winston » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:31 pm

oles you got any pics of the sled zepplin? i never got to see how that stencil turned out...

topsider you rock dude, this year in la costa we gotta have a little FBR race down the hill by the beach... ill bust out my 27inch hollien... i got that sucker going pretty good, not as fast as you on the midnight special tho.. 45mph is fast in canada, that translates to something near the speed of light in KM/H

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 am

Adam, Cfav will be suprising us shortly......
I have the original prototype deck with the ever tasteful oval CHIxILL sticker on it...

Ben Buckles

Post by Ben Buckles » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:26 am

<----is waiting anxiously for the sled.
Rabid Rodent Racing-charter member

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat May 12, 2007 3:29 am

I've been finally getting more time on my ChiXiLL Midnight Special.. the thing is soooo freakin versatile!! Hats off to my brothers in Chicago!! Get one if you aint gotten one.
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sat May 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Dave, I have been riding the Midnight Special Oles variant - aka "Sled Zepplin"; if you like the MS then you HAVE to try the Sled for tighter trails.

I am a modified parallel skater and have had a tough time getting my back foot over the screws (I'm an old school skater) but this newer deck has helped me get that foot back there nestled into the base of the tail rise. It simply kicks-ass.

LAVIN
LAVIN

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat May 12, 2007 6:23 pm

I gotta try it! I too am a "modified" stance. I'm from the 70's school and have recently (past 5 years) moved my rear foot back..The "s" would be welcomed!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Adam Winston

Post by Adam Winston » Sat May 12, 2007 9:41 pm

skate down hill like you skate slalom.. same sort of stance.... only FASTER :D