Possibly THE lightest high performance slalom boards EVER!

Gecko Slalom Boards

Moderator: Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Possibly THE lightest high performance slalom boards EVER!

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:05 am

New shapes and constructions but still the incredibly light boards...News coming soon!
Just in case you missed the original discussion when the first boards were built http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=3600
For those who were not aware, Gecko build the finest precision safety helmets in the business supplying the UK equivalent of the Coast Guard, the RNLI, http://www.geckoheadgear.com/ and have successfully applied that experience to skateboard applications, http://www.geckodecks.com/
As experts in the construction of super light, super strong shells these boards are phenomenal, their light weight and stiffness allows them to be so much easier to generate the initial speed necessary over that crucial first 5 cones in a race. It also makes them a lot less tiring to ride.
Wait till you feel how light they are, on a recent trip no-one could believe I had 3 boards in my bag!
Prototypes of the new models are being tested...save your pennies ;)
Last edited by Martin Drayton on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Soon....

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:16 pm

More news and some proto pics soon...

Its going to be even better than we hoped...

lighter, stronger, stiffer...

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:12 pm

Gecko will soon be releasing photos and specs of its new baby. They will be making available to the general public one of the lightest, torsionally stiff production slalom deck ever seen...
For those that are ready,a little while after they hope to release a limited edition run of an even lighter version with a revolutionary superlight core, the type of which has never been seen before on a slalom board (don't ask because I can't tell you...yet). When one of these arrives on your doorstep you'll believe that the box is empty. But better yet it has unrivalled strength and torsional stiffness...Too good to be true? Wait and see...

Have a nice day,
Last edited by Martin Drayton on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Brammer

Gecko

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:30 am

Martin, keep us posted, please!! Gecko has been making some really nice-looking decks of late, and going for lighter weight is always (as you know!) a tough, but great means by which to improve performance. And, of course, if You've got input on it's shaping, I'm all about it. (educated feet do matter!) Thanks in advance, and, man, I hope this is what you've waiting for!
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 am

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:17 pm

Carsten Pingel wrote:Pictures!!!!!!!!!!
About thursday next week...

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:16 pm

martin

honestly

i am getting sick of this garbage

nothing against gecko and the guys who make the boards,but....

do your statements imply that the rest of board constructers is stupid?
i'm talking about me,alex,markus(there's 2 of them),chicken and a few otehrs out there.

i wonder where gecko buys their products,maybe on mars?

otherwise they won't surprise me/us with anything.
we all cook with water,even gecko uses water,right?
i know all the stuff you can use for laminating slalomboards i did over 500 already and still counting.

improvement these days is made by creating moulds with different concaves(progressive,degressive,flex zones and such stuff,different kicktail angles.

the shape defining the board after it comes out of the mould is also a very crucial factor.

besides that,what else can gecko bring as an invention to the market that hasn't been already done?

also i would love to point towards r&d

i can also make the "lightest board ever" but i can't really guarantee it " will hold forever" unless this certain baord has had a few different riders during a season giving it its punishment.

so please,i really find this so annoying,
go and ride the board give it to other really experienced riders for a longer term and then we'll see what's happening .

again,telling people what you are telling them gives a totally false impression about what other industry folks have been doing for years.i don't see gecko in this queue right now.
they haven't been around that long,especially not in the competitive race circuit.

as of now there really are no surprises when it comes to construction or materials used,don't try to give a wrong impression about that given fact to the outer world.

no bad feelings martin,but stick to the facts.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:34 pm

Donald, you are entitled to your views and opinions...
At no point have I, or would I, suggest that other board makers are stupid. All those you named are making amazing products...so is Gecko.

They are approaching the whole subject of board construction from a different angle and 'yes' they ARE doing something different.
Their product testing has been extensive and will continue to be so, using experienced riders of different styles and weights.
You said "improvement these days is made by creating moulds with different concaves(progressive,degressive,flex zones and such stuff,different kicktail angles." This is true, but what about improvements in construction too? Surely you are not saying that this is not possible?
"besides that,what else can gecko bring as an invention to the market that hasn't been already done? "....as I said, you will see.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Hovercraft skateboards! No more wheels, no more trucks. "There is not restriction in number of Wheels." "There is no restriction in number of trucks."

Sorry for spamming, I couldn't withstand.

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Ramon- you guessed it! Jeff has been watching 'Back to the Future' and I am the new Marty McFly!

Don-Sorry I got you riled, that wasn't ever my intention...Is this better?

"Gecko will soon be releasing photos and specs of its new baby. They will be making available to the general public one of the lightest, torsionally stiff production slalom deck ever seen... "

Are we friends again now?

Big kiss Birthday Boy

M x

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:15 am

yadda yadda yadda
al is well in deutsche land

so bring your goodies and let's see the revolutuon martin

i only accept kisses by girls
at least buy 2 grapefruits amd some lipstick when we meet,ok?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Only by girls?....hearts are breaking all over the World.
See you at Cadwell, I'll be the one with the grapefruits (is this a German courting ritual? Its cheaper than flowers!).

ps.The title now says "possibly...." so as not to upset any fruit lovers ;) Mx

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:08 pm

Donald..do you sometimes forget your medication? Martin is a very experienced racer,and always pleasurable(Even when the KKK were in town) Please don't come off as a threatened manufacturer! We all welcome competition, it only raises the bar.
Maybe it's just the German-English translation that sheds an abrasive tone. You make wonderful products, and have done worlds for the sport, let it continue!
Really interested to see what comes out next!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 pm

dave i don't need any mediaction
after the recent replies to the topic i'm wondering why you write this anyway

and yes,german to english is way more brutal than people can imagine.
especially when its straight forward.

i am one of the few that really speak out what they think
others don't do that,i know quite a few that choose the easy way
the easy way also means that your board sales won't be affected when you take a stand to something you disagree.

so what's better?