Drilling a foam cored deck

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:14 am

I was wondering if someone could post how they go about drilling their Roes, Turners, Icks, etc. Thanks.
slalom is good

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:50 am

Matt...don't think, don't ask questions...just contact TK about drilling decks....he knows his shit and does the nicest job ever...plus he has the right tools and will help you figure out where to drill the deck for what you want. His drill jobs are always dead straight too.

e-mail TK!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:57 am

Drilling a foam board is no big deal. It's like drilling any other type of fibreglas. The only thing I'd recommend is that if you have a variable speed drill, then drill at the highest speed. You don't want to "bore" into your glas, you want to "sink" into it and that takes high rpms.

Another thing to sugges is to use a drill press if you have one. It's not absolutely mandatory, but it is the best way to assure that all four holes are straight, parallel and properly spaced.

This shows what can go wrong if you use a hand drill. Of course, this is true of any board be it glas or wood, but still illustrates one thing that can screw up a new board faster than just about any other circumstance.

Oh, one other thing. You don't "drill" through foam. It is, after all, FOAM. So the drill will go through the first layer of glas and then ZIP right through to the next layer underneath. Don't let go of the drill or panic when you feel the drill SINK real fast all of a sudden. That's just the foam layer disappearing faster than the glas.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:17 am

MAtt....seriously contact TK, he has the jig for it and all the bits, plus he is a pro. You live so close to him so it is a no brainer. Alot can go wrong. It isn't as simple as Wesley makes it out to be, trust me. TK knows his stuff.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:56 am

I will contact TK. Wes T's post sounds easy enough, but folks like me don't get too many of these decks so, I might as well do it right.

I do, however, have access to a press drill, which I am pretty sure would do the trick and keep the holes straight. Rick Howell already marked where the holes should go for me. Plus I wanted to get this done before da Farm (will there be a GS?) and I doubt I will have time to go see TK before then.

Anyway, I'll just call and talk to the man.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: matthew wilson on 2003-07-14 22:57 ]</font>