Is a 1977 Santa Cruz John Hutson Graphite Deck off the pace?

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Niall Horton-Stephens

Is a 1977 Santa Cruz John Hutson Graphite Deck off the pace?

Post by Niall Horton-Stephens » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:33 pm

Question... I've been riding a circa 77' Santa Cruz John Hutson Graphite Deck since... 1977! Running mid tracks, Belair Wings at front, RR Henry Hesters at rear... and always been supremely happy with it.. absolutely loved it.... until disaster... the deck is now road-kill... almost snapped in half. Now I'm trying to get a hold of the same deck (have posted request under equipment wanted), but wondered, as I'm really out of touch with slalom developments in recent years, are new decks much better? Is my current running gear way off the pace? Would I really notice a difference switching my deck allegiance? Always fancied a Turner... is the character of these going to be way different to what I'm used to with the Hutson board? Your thought much appreciated (and any info. on tracking down the Santa Cruz!).

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

It's a wallhanger- but a goodie

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:42 pm

Likely one of todays modern decks would lead by as much as 2 seconds in a fifteen second course.

Go for a new set up- you won't believe the difference.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Niall Horton-Stephens

Re. 1977 Hutson santa Cruz deck

Post by Niall Horton-Stephens » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:24 pm

Thanks for the replies... coming around to the idea that maybe my board should just be pensioned off (maybe I should too)... but, as I bought my last slalom deck 26 years ago could I ask a quick bit of advice... basically what's hot now? I ALWAYS fancied a Turner deck, but if you're familiar with the old Hutson deck I had, any idea if the ride will be very different? How about a Roe deck? (A biased answer quite welcome!) Or the Pocket Pistols seem cool + so light! What's current thinking on just how much flex is best? Should I junk my mid tracks and RR Henry Hesters? Angled truck risers best? Wider truck at rear... does this really help? Sorry to ask so much, but a bit out of touch. Advice much appreciated as it's harder to get in London, UK. :-)

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:00 pm

Roe Racing Unlimited PS . Tracker RT X/ RT S combo. Avalons or Flashbacks in the 84a to 88a range. I believe Daddies board shop ships over the pond as well as Toy and Sport in Colorado. Wedge both front and rear with fat side toward the rear. TK

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:14 pm

I forgot to mention Mike Stride of Octane Sports. He should have all the goods you need. TK

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:56 am

Niall,

Don't through away your old Tracker mids! They are the best TS trucks around. The new RTS / RTX are nice too, but not as good for the tight courses.

Keep the RR for the museum. There's plenty of good wheels out that you want to try.

As for the board: The biased answer is get a Roe S-Camber. But there are plenty of good boards available. Get one that fits the length of the board you were riding up to now (that is not so much longer).

/Jani

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:11 am

I'd say the wheels are responsible for some of the speed increase- but the deck can have a big effect as well. I switched decks at Da farm 2.0 and I think I went .7 sec faster and if I had put in the same effort likely 1.2 sec faster on a sub 18 sec course.

Does it feel a lot faster....hell ya!
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:37 am

Niall, drop me a line at sales@octanesport.com
I'd be happy to let you ride a number of decks for you to compare and contrast. And yes, I'm in Laaaaandannnn.