new foamcore board: "The Fleshwound"

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Greg Olsen

new foamcore board: "The Fleshwound"

Post by Greg Olsen » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:16 am

Hey guys,
My new board. Foam core(you can see through the top view wrapped in Polyester and glass. It is very smooth as I have been reading some DIY surfboard forums and have taken those old school surfboard techniques to heart. No Carbon or epoxy resin here. I have built some Baltic birch longboards and short BB/glass slalom boards too. Also built one with a piece of something I found at work. It was a corrugated extruded plastic 6mm thick(heavier than Cor-plast) with 20ga aluminum sheet laminated to either side. I laminated it to 6mm baltic birch with the corrugations running side to side and it has Zero torsional twist. Very stiff that way. A bit dead feeling until you hit about 20mph. But then the flex sarts working and the stiffness torsonally gives a lot of confidence. I have no idea whether any of my boards are actually any good(performance-wise) as I skate in a vacuum here in Calgary Alberta CANADA. No skate buddies. Not interested in the 20 something crowd as I am 46 and a bit stodgy. But I am having fun building and running them at lunch and after work(in the dark). It snowed here last week so that might be it though. Cracked some ribs a week into my reunion with skating in early September so no one wants to join me in that kind of risk. Previous board was (still have it) a G & S Fibreflex kicktail.
Greg
Greg Olsen

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Looks Good

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:48 pm

Nice to see another Canadian making slalom boards. It looks like you picked a popular shape. A good way to start.

You may want to try to find Brad Kasha in Calgary. He just picked up a Pocket Pistol and is a good slalomer. He took second in 82.

I'll try to find his e-mail for you. He has posted on NCDSA.com under bohika a few times. He is likely around the late 30's or early 40's. A few years younger then us. Good Luck with them.
Many Happy Pumps!

Greg Olsen

Thanks!

Post by Greg Olsen » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm

Claude:
I will look forward to meeting Brad. I work for a company with manufacturing facilities in Ottawa(Smart Technologies). I am trying to make an excuse to get flown out there for your July 1 race. I may get out there this winter too so I will look you up. Send some contact info.
Greg

Any kind of rough estimates how many layers of glass per side for certain weight ranges? This one is too stiff for my 215lbs. I tried it with fewer layers and it was too soft then I added more and it was too stiff. Not really a snappy stiff either though.... :(
Greg Olsen

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:13 pm

If your using only fiberglass you may want to switch to carbon or do a combo of the 2 to get your desired stiffness. I have yet to build a foamcore deck but have been studying up on them. I really just dont want to lay down the cash it takes to screw one up.

I'm enjoying working with the wood. Heres my second shot at a slalom deck:

more here http://thebiggerpic.com/gallery/Byrddogy

Greg Olsen

S-Camber looks good.

Post by Greg Olsen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:11 pm

Frank I will have try an S-camber like yours. I like the idea of what it can do for you, especially for the back foot. Any glass involved or just glue between layers?
For fun squwiggling down the road and flatter terrain and slower speeds I tend to skate with an almost ski-like stance in the middle of the board for fast turning flexibility at the knees. But I find I almost get bucked off as the speeds increase so I have to spread the back foot to a location over the back truck. Also the fore-aft stability is better. The Pros seem to leave the middle of the board untouched almost with a foot over the back trucks at all times. I guess they are going WAY fast. Can anyone tell me what the role of flex in that situation or does the front foot alone, being behind the front truck, invoke the flex of the deck?
Also I think that a lot of people are building their own decks and would like to discuss them here....and not JUST on NCDSA. Perhaps the DIY crowd can start posting here or have a new forum sub-group?
And I don't hear about a whole lot of sponsorship from the manufacturer/moderators of the brand specific forums. Is it free advertising or are they contributing? Just a thought for generating revenue for site server and upkeep costs.
Greg Olsen

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 am

this is a ts deck. So there is not much flex. To me riding an scamber is different. Putting your foot on the "tail" improves stability. ON my next board I'm putting concave in the tail to hold my foot implace as I put more pressure on the tail and my foot slides more than the board.

The construction is 7ply maple with no composites at all. I am going to put some fiberglass on the next one just to see how much stiffer it is.

some other board building sites and resources
www.silverfishlongboarding.com
direct link to board building forum
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... 2719392057

and a new one
www.longboardingdirectory.com

direct link
http://www.longboarddirectory.com/phpBB ... fa483514fc

The last one is new and pretty cool. They are offering some product up for people to produce some board building articles.

Silverfish has board build offs every so often. This month is a 70's buildoff and voting starts on the 20th.