best board?

Post by Noah Koski » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:08 am

whats the best kind of board

P.S. this is the first poll i have done so lets try it
SLALOM!
"Pain is temporary..........Glory is forever"

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:19 am

i've ridden all of the above with the exception of s9 and airfow.

(we're talking "test drives" on other people's boards)

They are all nice. Many of them have differing levels of boards.

The answer, unfortunately, is: whatever board is best for you.

Q

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:17 am

Jack, you 're right ! I think every company has "good" boards and "not so good" boards !
But overall you can't say that this or that one is the best.
They have so many variations ! Foam, pure wood, fiber-wood combination, flat top, concave, special airflow C-81 "concave",tails, upturned noses, camber,s-camber and so on.
Every rider prefers his own kind of board ! Maybe some riders like pocket pistols more because they like the attitude and the image of the company ?!
Or they like Roe because they know Gareth Roe and they want to support his company....I don't know !?!? There are many reasons.

Martin Siegrist
Airflow-Skateboards
Airflow-Skateboards

love

Post by Martin Siegrist » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:22 pm

some people love ferraris because they are red...

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:42 pm

Performance/Value = CKAT ($18-$25 board+trucks). State level comps, local races, 6 cones per second, ect.

Performace/(Value X Accessability) = Performace Series Roe (under $100). State level comps. Local races. World Championships.
Last edited by Vlad Popov on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:36 am

I think you should edit it and make it say, what's your favorite board?
Its like a gift. I can't control it.

Glenn Garbett

Post by Glenn Garbett » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:05 am

DUANE PETERS SACRIFACE GS DECK
MAD MADNESS

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:17 am

No offense intended here Noah.....but...

The choices given are like comparing a Vette to a Ferarri to an SUV to a Minivan to a dune buggy.......they all do a good job of serving different niches in the market.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:36 pm

Yeah, it definitely depends on the person.
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:38 pm

my boardImage

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

roll me over in the clover

Post by Steve Collins » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:45 am

The best board was buried in a landfill north of Topeka in 1979. All other boards can now only be second best.

Eric Brammer

The Best...

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:24 am

Was my Kryptonics 8.5" wide foam-cores from '78-79. They did everything, and did all things well (except T.S., just a bit long for that). I think I rode that board in some 30+ pools (not bad for a Vermontah,Eh?), 53 skateparks, and countless ramps, plus I used it for G.S. racing, downhill, and cruised a crapload of miles on it around these local hills. My normal setup was either Futracs or Extracs, and the early C-Series or CX Kryptos. With 70mm Red C's on it, I did 57 mph on it, timed over a 1/4 mile by my Dad (who was an Engineer,and had 'the facts' always down cold).
I rode one for almost 9 years, and rode it quite often, on the steep rough roads in backwoods VT, and in 22 states of the union that I travelled to in my youth. It sucumbed to an aggressive redneck pickup truck driver who ran me off the road (in San Andreas,CA),then backed up to run the deck over! I lost two kryptonics C-70 blues, and a Tracker fultrac, plus the deck that day, about 1/3rd of a mile from the motel we were at. The song "If I had a Rocket Launcher" resounds in my head when I recall that little moment in my life. :-(
A second one, that got tossed nose-first off the 3rd story roof of a local store by a punk who was a tad jealous of my owning it. Apparently, it passed the survival test, I got it back (from his brother) about 4 months later, with a nice split across the nose bumper. That one I still have, and hope to one day repair the glass up by the nose. It's probably a wall-hanger, but I kinda hope it can be brought back to rideable condition.

The only other board that really changed my riding as much was my Turner Fullnose. That board made me aware of of the little, but important, tweaks in my style that could allow me handle steeps and perfect a slalom technique that was good enough to place well in a few races. That board, I still have, and still will race with, albeit in the Vintage Class nowadays.
I also have this one old Hobie Parkrider. It has just always 'been there', and I'll likely never get rid of it. It's not my fave, it's not great at anything, but it's JUST FUN, and always has been. If I had to sell them all, the Hobie would go last, but not without one hell of a fight!
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"