Subsonic Slalom Decks

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Paul Howard

Subsonic Slalom Decks

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:26 am

Now I'll toot my own horn. Scott Moore of www.subsonicskateboards.com is making a Pauliwog(but at the moment spelled "Polywog" on the sticker) signature model which is fun since I think I'm the only B Class slalom'er with a signature model. If you're looking for an affordable wide spectrum use deck, this may be for you. Look on the "Future" icon of the Subsonic site. The board I'm riding is the wood core, non-cambered, concave, with wheelwells deck with diagonal carbon fibre stringers for torsional rigidity and fiberglass top and bottom. Wheelbases run are drilled from 18" to 23". I believe it will be available in camber/concave also, all-wood, wood/fibreglass, and I don't know how available the carbon stringers are, but I think they add to it. The construction gives it a nice smooth pump and lot of control and quick reaction due to it being non cambered. It's a refreshing board to have after collecting numerous different decks. Will it replace my dialed-in and finely tuned Roe's and PPS's ? - NO, not anytime soon, those are some saaweeet boards. Does it offer anything they don't? ABSOLUTELY YES, this board is smooth, consistent, quick reacting due to the non cambered nature, has good wheel clearance, has good footing under both feet, good in a "defensive" course but pumpable in an "offensive" course, and is very versatile due to it's flat and fairly rigid nature with multiple wheelbases. What it doesn't have is the offensive pump of a custom cambered and dialed-in board( which by it's very nature will be best for one rider weight at a narrower range of wheel bases), but it's not far from it . I am NOT the fastest guy out there obviously since I'm a B Class rider but I do like having a board under me that feels good and does what I want to do through the cones, That said , I'm taking it in my quiver to Windsor Colorado and Athens Georgia and will probably use it most of the time. Thanks Lots to Scott Moore - Paul Howard
I just dig slalom!

Paul Howard

Subsonic Addendum

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:33 am

I guess my "Polywog" deck has 9 plys of THIN birch, so it's actually not the big thick heavy tank of a board it would be if conventional thickness veneer plys were used. Just thought I'd add that. Thanks-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 pm

Thats a very nice looking deck, i like the wheel wells, but your "footstop" bolts scare me.
If i had them on my board i just know i would end up with one stuck in me, thats just the kind of luck i have.
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Paul Howard

Pauliwog Deck and Footstops

Post by Paul Howard » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:03 pm

Hey, glad you like it. Footstops aren't for everyone. Some people use them, others hate them. I've definitely seen some that look more "pokey" than mine, plus there's a lot of other ways to do the same thing, I like doing it the way I do because it's cheap, and I can change it fairly easily depending on what wheel base I run. Actually there's no sharp points and I feel safer with it than without it. The footstops in question don't come with the deck, that's just my thing. Thanks-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Paul Howard

Subsonic Pauliwog Model

Post by Paul Howard » Sat May 14, 2005 5:11 am

After much riding of the headlined deck(www.subsonicskateboards.com -"Future" icon), I find I like it best at 19" wb and 20" wb for T/S and general/hybrid courses the best. It's OK(good, actually) for the bigger courses but it really comes into it's niche best for me for tighter courses. If you want a less expensive deck with a really good feel for T/S and Hybrid, this may be for you. If you want a board that does really well on those type of courses even stacked against a customized foam-core, this board is for you. OK, I'll stop tooting my own horn for now. Thanks again to Scott Moore. Adios- Paul
I just dig slalom!

Paul Howard

Mukilteo Washington T/S Subsonic 1st Place

Post by Paul Howard » Sat May 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Hey, I finally rode my "Pauliwog" model (the one with the wood core, diagonal carbon stringers, fiberglass top and bottom - "Future" section of www.subsonicskateboards.com) in competition for the first time at the Mukilteo, WA T/S race (dual lane Jam Format- a great idea when rain and other time limiting factors are present) and won 1st place. The slope wasn't very steep and required pumping to get ahead. There were tight straight stingers, offsets narrow and wide, an S-curve section, it was a good course for the medium sized parking lot at the Mukilteo YMCA Skatepark. I don't care what comments are out there about T/S, this kind of course is my favorite type of racing(but I like all of it a lot). My board pumped well and easily went through the course like butter(but I ride really loose also). I feel even better about this deck now that I raced Dan Hughes, Brad Kasha, and Gareth (who didn't post his times but was plenty fast) who for me, give this deck a good "litmus test" of racing quality. I was quite pleased in how well it performed. I definately think this deck's strength is T/S, Hybrid and really any "defensive" situation. Thanks again to Scott Moore for making it for me, Thanks to everyone else at the race that made it all happen (ie- John Stryker for bringing the start ramps), especially Gareth for putting it on and Corey Moy for the overnight accomodations for Dave Baker and myself. Adios-Paul
I just dig slalom!

kevin langdon

Post by kevin langdon » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:21 pm

Here's a link to some pics of the new Subsonic Scout slalom deck. http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... hp?t=30037

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:55 am

Put my Subsonic Lowlander together today. I needed a board to cheer me up during my down time. This board is muy caliente. Scott offered any tweaking on the board he would be glad to trade it out. Bro the board kills. I placed a foam wedge kicktail facing sideways. Radikal front and back. Zig Zags 89-83. Edger grip tape. The board is killer. I could not bring my self to put a sticker on it. The wheel wells are reminiscent of the ones on my BDS boards. Hence fourth no wheel rub. Nice work Subsonic. Your Amigo Eddy TEXAS OUTLAWS. Oh yea I am happy. Will try to post some pics. Okay maybe a couple of stickers.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 pm

i gotta sya i love my pauliwog......split-fire and 3dm 3tc equiped
No vestido para mi

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 am

Image This is the Lowland I have been bragging on, this board rocks. I have one on the way with a kicktail. Scott awesome work bro. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Mark Chandler

Post by Mark Chandler » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:57 am

Good stuff, man.

We really, really like working with Scott.
MileHighSkates.com
Feeding skaters' addictions since 2003...

Paul Howard

Subsonic!

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:06 am

Hey, Adam glad you're digging the Pauliwog, Thanks from Me and Scott,

Eddy- Glad you're digging the Lowlander, It looks like a good shape. I agree that the concave and wheelwells are a great combination, I have not yet had a wheelbite incident since I've been riding the Subsonics(formerly "Curve"). I know what you mean about the "no stickers", I'm the same way, the plain wood and stains Scott uses look SOOOOO good I just can't cover them up.

Schlater-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:53 am

Yo Pauli I was so STOKED with the Lowland I ordered two more Lowland with kicktails. Probably going to give one away at our Texas Slalom Jam on Sept
30th. More Texas riders got to try these boards. Scott is one cool bro. Cut me a great deal. Plus he will look good in a Texas Outlaws Team T-Shirt. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws. Pics to follow.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:38 am

As I was getting ready to leave for the Texas Slalom Jam when my custom Subsonic arrived at the door. I quickly put it together and decided to ride it at the Jam. It is similar to the Axe or the Pavel Roadster, but the difference is the tail is wider and the nose is upturned and the board has just the right amount of concave. Thanks Scott. The board got me 6th place. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:40 am

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:42 am

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:37 pm

that looks sick!

now imagine a 36" subsonic......that would be sick
No vestido para mi

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Adam I emailed Scott at Subsonic last night regarding a 36 inch Lowland with a mellow kicktail. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Paul Howard

More Subsonic Blabbing

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:36 am

Hey Eddy, That looks pretty cool and congrats on your placing! I finally saw for the first time, the Subsonic Production Facility recently as I travelled to Portland . I think I saw the 36" deck you mentioned, hard to tell from the pile of decks Scott had in mid-process.

Scott's been doing some pretty cool experiments with tri-axial fiberglass. It does add weight, but less wood is needed so over-all it does'nt add much weight. However, it seems to make for a pretty solid, stiff deck with a lot of torsion resistance. I'm getting a Tri-axial fiberglass/wood Pauliwog deck for my Nephew which will go through me so I'll get to try it out. From the speedboards with the tri-axial glass that I've seen and rode a little bit at the parking lot at our last Seattle race, it should be pretty good. It'll be hard not to keep it.

Adios-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:55 am

both of my 'sonics are triaxle glassed :)
No vestido para mi

Paul Howard

Tri-axial ?

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Hey Adam, How do you like that Tri-axial glass on your decks:

1) Do they seem pretty stiff length-wise and torsionally?

2) Are they the versions with a kick tail(and maybe kicknose) or the concave only straight through (no camber or kicks)?

3) Do they seem heavy compared to other slalom decks(I'm sure they're heavier than a foam and carbon PPS or Roe)?

Here's my 2 Cents, I find I prefer the concave only (no camber or kicktail/nose) BUT I add the PPS foam small wedge under my front toe on my small course board and a 45 degree canted kicktail with the PPS big wedge under my back heel on ALL my slalom decks. But that's me, so I don't know how others would like that or not. I think I blabbed something about that before probably somewhere. I wish I had picture ability so I could post a picture.

Anyhow, let me know what you think regarding the above questions about your decks. Thanks-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:04 am

you can really tell there is fiber....great strength and "pop" in the pump

its on my Pauliwog and the reflex 42

heavier? yes....but that's because i am using some heavy trucks (jimz's on reflex and a 127mm 3dm 3tc on the pauli)
No vestido para mi

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Picked the SubSonic Saint T S board from Evan at DHB. Truly I should have used this board on Saturday. And my 32 in SubSonic on Sunday. Hey Scott alot of riders were wondering when the EddyWog Model is coming out. Love your boards bro. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws. Josh it was so cool to meet you bro. SubSonic best kept secret, but not for long.