SUBSONICSKATEBOARDS "SCOUT" MODEL

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Paul Howard

SUBSONICSKATEBOARDS "SCOUT" MODEL

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Hey, Scott recently made a great G/S deck for me. It's not yet on the www.subsonicskateboards.com website yet. It's a 9" wide rounded coffin shape, think of a PPS Levine Coughin Cut only wider all around and even more so in the nose for a lot of front foot usage. It's made stiffer than the "Pauliwog" to accomodate longer wheelbases for big hybrid and G/S.

It's coffin shaped with a blunt nose so you actually have a G/S and Super G board that fits into your duffle bag to fly to races. Wheel bases range from 19" to 22"(? maybe 23") drilled just like the "Pauliwog" model only the wheel bases go one notch longer for bigger courses. It has concave, no camber, a very slight and short kick in the tail(Scott can probably give you more or less or no kick under the back foot if you want). Mine has wheel wells which I HIGHLY recommend. Concave and wheelswells for footing and wheel clearance to me is MUCH preferable to flat and no wheelwells and more risers in terms of response, but maybe that's just me.

I took it to the DHB Dixie Cup and used it for the G/S on that spooky steep and fast Soap Box Derby hill in Winston Salem North Carolina. It was PERFECT! I used my purple all wood version prototype. I now have one that is wood core, with carbon diagonal stringers on the bottom with fiberglass top and bottom just like the "Pauliwog" model which is on the website. I need to test it more, but I think in this case I went overboard having Scott put fiberglass on this model as it's a TANK! But, if you're a BIG dude, the fiberglass/carbon might be the ticket. The all wood-only version is stiff enough and not as heavy for me at my 170 lbs.

I recently changed trucks, wheels and wheelbase to 19" and used this deck on a tight hybrid course of very mixed rythem and it worked GREAT. If you like stiff, non cambered but concave wood slalom decks with multiple wheel bases for a variety of courses, this deck will probably work well for you, especially if you feel like you want more deck under your toes of your front foot. If you get the all wood version it won't kill your wallet either.

Thanks again to Scott Moore for making me some GREAT decks!- Paul
I just dig slalom!

Paul Howard

Subsonic Scout Followup

Post by Paul Howard » Thu May 14, 2009 3:15 am

I was browsing and noticed my previous entry and since I'm still riding it I thought I'd add to it.

It's now May 13th 2009. That is the one and only board I use on courses "bigger than tight". If the cones are 7ft apart or more, it always gets used. Even on 6' straight sections.

I have it set up at about 19-20-ish inches in wheelbase, RT-X 127(?)mm(5" hanger) positive wedged about 12 degrees. The back end has a 30 degree Seismic 150(?)mm(5"hanger) negative wedged about 5 degrees with a thin-as-I-can-cut-it-5-degree piece of plastic. The Seismic neg wegded truck in the back sticks more than any other truck I have ever used. For wheels I sometimes use Abec 11 Grippins (yes, still!) or the new Seismic Hotspots Black Ops wheels depending on the pavement.

The above mentined setup has worked SOOOOOO well that I have left it alone for the past few years and have no desire to change it. I do have 4" hanger versions of the same trucks as mentioned above and may try that some day but have no motive to.

In short, compared to any and all big-Hybrid and Giant slalom setups that I have ever used, this has beaten all of them and I have sold off all others I owned and loaned out my PPS Chickenwing foam to my nephew.

Gotta get back to work - Paul
I just dig slalom!

Paul Howard

An addendum for the Scout

Post by Paul Howard » Thu May 14, 2009 3:40 am

I guess I forgot to specify that I'm using the all-wood purple-stained version, the other one mentioned with fiberglass and carbon over the wood went to a 250lb+ Canadian (whose name I forgot at the moment, sorry) several years ago as part of a Subsonic "Bro-deal".

Using the Same deck for the same type of racing for 3+ years definately says something in my mind about good function and feel. (even though I'm not a competitive "pro" racer anymore and back happily in the B-Class).

If you go to www.subsonicskateboards.com and click onto the "Future" icon, you'll see it there, it's a modified coffin shape with nice curved lines.

Thanks - Paul
I just dig slalom!