Dutchskateboards custom slalomboard

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Bas de Man

Dutchskateboards custom slalomboard

Post by Bas de Man » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:41 pm

It's going to be a new one to the line. Designed by me And Mike Rutte
Slalom: Length: 73cm WB: 20/17.5 with 0.5 inch steps. Wide:21cm
Setup: Tracker RTS/X with 66mm Zigs and Seismics With Hotspots (not picured)

Construction
1x HPL, 3xBirch, 1x aluminium, 3x birch, 1x HPL

2 vids in action with terrible headwinds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kbSVyvDwU
mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeRg6bbiMw
Me

And some more pics

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:17 pm

Sweet looking stick what is the wheeel base on the bad boy? which truck setup do you like better???
As Luck would have it . . .

Bas de Man

Post by Bas de Man » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm running 18.5in wb. But you can go from 20 to 17.5 in 0.5in steps.

I'm not a big seismic fan so I like the trackers better. Hopefully going to run an offset back soon

Eric Brammer

not a Seismic fan..

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:16 am

I wouldn't be either using yellow spring front and rear!

For the record, I run either Red or Gold springs on the 'old' German-made Seismics, heavily negatively wedged (-17*) at the rear. The new, Chinese Seismics and myself have not yet made friends in Slalom related endeavours. Could be the new springs, the resonance of the metal/metal hanger/baseplate, or the lack of grip at the less-than 8mm axles (nope, didn't get to run Geezer-X's 8mm axles for very long, so I'm still not sure if the 'new' Seismics have as much traction potential).

Whatever, I'd be looking at gettin' some 8mm axles on an Rts, or using something like an Airflow at the rear.

The only other 'critique' comment is maybe widen/reshape where the back foot is with those decks.

Otherwise, you've got a nice looking board in terms of concave, construction, and general contours! They look NICE! :-D
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Bas de Man

Post by Bas de Man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:19 pm

The seismic one is also not mine but from a friend of mines. And yes. The back looked good on paper and is actually wide enough for me because I stand with my feet pretty close together and at a good angle. But I will be adding some wedging in the future or have the guy repress it for me with some more concave on my heelside and maby add some wedge on the back. Also a bigger toestop will be added when I get my saw back.

And an airtflow rear is at the top of my list right not. My dad's going to switserland and returns just before my birthday. Hopefully he got my hint about taking an airflow back for me ;)

Paul Howard

My 2 Cents

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:59 am

Nice work:

SEISMICS AND TRACKERS: I Use the the 30 degree baseplate and in the REAR ONLY, not in front- the pivot line is too far away from the front foot to turn as quick as I want . I sometimes use the 45 degree baseplate in the rear negative wedged maximum 15 degrees for REALLY tight tight slalom. Otherwise the 30 degree baseplate is good. FRONT:Put ANY other twitchy truck up front including an RT-X wedged positive about 15 degrees. Tracker RT-S's feel pretty good to me if negative wedged 10 to 15 degrees with some good firm bushings in them.

Splitfire/Airflow OS are killer rear trucks. If you have the $$, Radikal and GOG's will really be nice up front, just be wary of breaking kingpins.

SHAPE: I agree, put a wider tail on it. Also concave with wheelwells will be safer due to reducing or eliminating wheel bite, it will allow you to turn quicker since you won't have to put as much riser height between the deck and trucks. I personally have grown to prefer non-cambered stiff decks in most circumstances and only occasionally use camber(VERY LOW camber of 1/4" or less) in flexing decks. Since you're starting new at this, I would'nt bother with camber at all yet.

Just my 2 Cents, Good Luck - P
I just dig slalom!

Bas de Man

Post by Bas de Man » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:59 pm

It has concave, just not so much. And almost no flex and absoluytely no camber. I'm still in it for the trackers. I just don't like spring bushings. Wider tail will be there for future boards. I have a design in mind that will make this board basicly symetrical from abone but with just the front with concave. But since I'm not the one who's having to make it (and pay for it for that matter ;)) it's not totally up to me. I like it for now and I'll keep putting it to the test as it is. Maby adding somw tailwedging/widening for myself.