Deck torsion bad?

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Jeroen Steggink

Deck torsion bad?

Post by Jeroen Steggink » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:02 am

Hi all!

Last weekend I had my first slalom contest in the Netherlands, organised by Flavio Badenes. It was really great! It was super to see all the crazy Germans and Karl to rip up the asphalt!!

However, I had some problems with my setup, which kept me from finishing the tight course.
At about 3/4 of the course I started having troubles with my board. It's as if it started floating and then suddenly it breaks out!

I have the following setup. Roe Racing Crossfire 28", Zig Zags 83a/80a, RT-X/RT-S, 15 deg/10 deg.
I have the idea the deck is causing the problem. I even have more problems with my Skaterbuilt Mike Maysey Hybrid deck I just got! Both boards are not torsional stiff, especially the Skaterbuilt, which has the floating thing earlier than the Roe. It's a longer board with concave, same setup as the Roe, but 11 deg/11 deg. So I conclude that this causes the behaviour I described.

Do other people share the same experience?

If I'm right, what board would solve the problem? I'm thinking of Pavel foam core decks, since I live in the Netherlands, it's easier and cheaper to get one of those.

Cheers!

Jeroen
Last edited by Jeroen Steggink on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:31 am

uh uh uh
thanks for the ups on our decks
but...
the problem you are facing doesn't come from the deck,please trust me on that.the maysey is a very good board i would favour it above the roe.
but both boards perform well in their distinctive area.
maybe you just need to train more set your trucks up properly(it's coming from that section of your board)get into contact with more experienced riders.
this will help you more
if you still want to go for a foamcore,good for me,but i don't just want to sell you one if you don't need it.

Jeroen Steggink

Post by Jeroen Steggink » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Donald,

Thanks for the quick reply!
It could be I just think your boards are sexy as hell :p hehehe

It's kind of weird I have more problems with the Maysey than the Roe. I'll have to look at the truck setup I guess.
Just thinking, could it be that my trucks can't steer fast enough and the wheels lift of the ground instead of steer? I weigh about 75 kg and I have blue Khiro's in the back and white in the front (barrel at the bottom and top at the top).

Jeroen Steggink

Post by Jeroen Steggink » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:40 am

Here are a couple of pics of the boards.

The Roe is what I used to race. I have kept the Maysey in the bag the whole contest, cause I was told it was no good for the contest.

I was working on the trucks of the Maysey, so don't bother telling me I can't skate it this way..hehe. I'm busy shortening the 129mm hangers to 106mm and inserting an 8mm axle.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:06 pm

my first impression is that your trucks seem to be too tight
the top bushings are way too much compressed
one one truck they really look dead
send ramon königshausen a pm
he can give you a few really good setup tips

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:12 am

I'd also take that big washer off the top bushing - especially because you seem to be using Khiro's insert bushings, so there is no need for it. More importantly, that washer could be hitting your hangar (the part next to the bushings) at extreme turn angles and stopping the truck from turning any more, causing the wheel to lift as you continue to angle the deck.
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Jeroen Steggink

Post by Jeroen Steggink » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks all!
I also got some great tips from Ramón Königshausen.

I'm going to change the bushings to orange Khiro's/ Bitch in the front en red in the back. And this time I won't tighten them too much like I did before.

Rick, I did have problems with the top washer hitting the hanger. I'll get rid of it.