G & S Steve Cathay....what shall I do with it?

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

G & S Steve Cathay....what shall I do with it?

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:20 pm

Just had someone return an old board of mine to me....he only had it about 15-20 years!
Its a G&S Steve Cathy 26" rocker that I inverted and used for "Martin Sweeney"-style tight slalom, 4ft straight, 5ft offset back in the day. It is in excellent condition, but I don't know what to do with it, as I don't wish to keep it and wouldn't mind the cash. It was drilled with a 17" wheelbase, so the rear holes are not where they would have been for its original purpose.

Do I:
-Sell it as it is.
-Restore it by re-gripping it and turning it right side up and finding a G&S sticker.

What do you think?

Eric Brammer

G+S

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:37 am

Leave it as it is (well, not the tape), but flip it over! G+S stickers are findable (Ask Deb!), but moreover, I'll bet it'll Scoot along great as a Rockered Slalom board, perfect for Vintage-class racing! Worst-case scenario, you'll have to add 4 more holes in-around the tail to make it a 'pool' board, or at least able to do wheelies down the sidewalk (not NOT manuals, Wheelies; Manuals require a kicked-up nose on the deck used, imho).
IF you Sell it, be sure to include it's History. This ain't no Toy found in an attic, it's part an' parcel to where we've come from. I say this having passed on so many Wonderful boards (both snow and skate) to folk who had enough interest, cash, or needfulness... My Lord, I could've started a museum, or gotten hellishly rich on E-Bay if I had been able to peer far enough into the future!! But at least my kids will get to ride my old Hobies, Bahne, Burtons, and a few homemade boards from 30 years before they were born. I'm not waxing nostalgic, just trying to add a perspective of Time to the issue. Whatever you decide, Martin, It'll be O.K.! ;-)
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"