SHORTENING A FOAM CORE DECK!

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Spike Taylor

SHORTENING A FOAM CORE DECK!

Post by Spike Taylor » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:22 am

I have a foamcore/carbon fibre board a mate gave me and I've re-drilling it shorter. Its wicked, but I now have three and a half inches of extra nose. At first this wasn't a problem, but it
a) puts me off to look at when skating and makes me feel like I'm standing in the wrong place and b) on really tight stuff I think my long nose is affecting my line as I think it may touch cones.
I want to cut the nose on my "Cyrano de Bergerac" model! Now, I'm thinking jig saw with blade for metal, but how do I tidy it up once I cut it down?
I thought of getting a surfboard repair kit but there seem to be 2 kinds, the standard with fibreglass fabric and resin or the ones that are just a putty affair, which would be better?
Would either of them react with the foam? I don't want the core to melt and dissapear!!!!

HELP!

Eric Brassard

Post by Eric Brassard » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 pm

I spike, I Made a foam board since 2 years ago and i have a good idée to repair your board.

First, is it possible to see a picture?????

I prefer l'époxy,but check carefuly one affect the foam ( 5:1 mix)and a other is not affect the foam (3:1 mix)

For cutting Mark the board and use a band électric sandblaster whit the big sand paper (80). If you need to cut the foam to do it slowly and good luck.... you must to place a carbone fiber tissus on the nose..

Eric Brassard

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks Eric, no pics at present as I haven't done it yet..
I don't have any carbon weave (or time to get any) so would probably use fibreglass to re-build the integrity of the box...I have a race coming up soon so am now hesitant to do it as I cannot replace the board if I mess it up.
I'll see...

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:38 pm

I would recommend not trying to shorten the board and just getting used to riding it with a big nose. It's doubtful you could recreate the structural integrity of the glass box to be anywhere near as strong as the way it was originally built. Maybe a toe stop could help you locate your front foot so you wouldn't have to cut the deck.