Board size & brand.

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Board size & brand.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:17 am

I recently bought a sector nine platinum series longboard. Size 38 in. Made of fiberglass, & maple sandwitched together it can support the weight of a 200lbs person. My question is can this board be used in competetion at slalom races?

To whom replys to this message please post it on the message board or send it to my email please at: seniors2004@sbcglobal.net

thanks

and keep up the racing

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:28 am

Big Al,
Where are you?

At the DC Outlaw races, your board would be legal. I've seen everything run from an ancient GT Coyote, to a 38" BDS Long Pig.

Some of the other locales may have some rules, but here in DC, if you can roll it through the cones, it is legal.

Q

Chris Linford

Post by Chris Linford » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:34 pm

I feel sorry for you owning a sector nine

Chris

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Chris Linford wrote:I feel sorry for you owning a sector nine

Chris
Why?

Chris Linford

Post by Chris Linford » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:11 pm

I don't like them, why do you ask?

Sorry but I can not get along with them. You may fine, but look at what others ride and sector nine is a smaller brand.

Chris
Clingfilm from England.
LSD

Eric Moore
Eric Moore
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:34 am

Well I for one am stoked that you've got yourself a sector 9. The board is definitely legal for competetion, it is just a matter of whether or not you can put it through the cones. You may find that a shorter deck is necessary for many courses.

Side note: I probably never would have discovered slalom if it wasn't for sector 9. I didn't grow up a skater, but I started skating longboards when a friend in college rolled by on this crazy four-foot skateboard. After riding his I had to get one, and the local skate shop carried only one brand - sector 9 (this was the spring of '98). Since then I've been hooked, and I rode a longboard through cones for the first time in the fall of 2000. Now I can't get enough slalom!

So like it or not, Sector 9 is helping to grow the sport of slalom by getting wheels under people's feet!

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:30 am

Hey Chris...that was a lame comment and offers nothing of value to anybody reading this thread...If you have a problem with a product, there's nothing wrong with stating why, but to slam somebodies board is weak....
The deck itself is a matter of personal taste...If you have skills you can fly on a 2X4

Levi Hill

Post by Levi Hill » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:25 am

as far as entry level long boards go, i think gravity makes higher quality products.

Chris Linford

Post by Chris Linford » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:38 am

My opinion

Sector nine boards are generally too soft, thin and badly shaped.
Gravity are better, so are Roe, so are Turnersummerski, so are Pocket Pistoles, so are Comet.

Boards i rate a long with sector nine are
Airflow (although getting better, especiallly Jani's board) and Summit.

However these board are not designed for how I skate. Therefore I rate them badly.

Chris - Happy now I have validated my opinion. I would love to race on a 2 x 4

Chris
Clingfilm from England.
LSD

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Board for Seniors 2004

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Having never ridden a Sector 9 before, i cant comment on the flexiness, but obviously others here have ridden them and know better.
That being said, at 200lbs, a great board for GS (which i assume your going for with a large board) may be a Yandall Wreckreational Cruiser....you can find it here...
http://chrisyandall.com/
It's a very stiff board, but stable for GS stuff
Pocket Pistols also make a nice line of affordable wood decks, in all shapes and sizes.
Comet as well, and a friend has one that's 36" (?)...but i have to admit...in my opinion the new graphics on them are "less than desirable"...it's hard to argue their performance though, O'Shei just won the Pump Station II and i'd have to assume he was on a Comet.
Skaterbuilt is also coming out with a line os slalom boards that will be worth checking out.

I'm assuming by your post that your new to slalom, or at least to GS, and dont want to invest a ton until you know you like it
With that in mind, Roe doesnt make a woodcore/graphite board long enough for GS.
Foamcores like Ick and Turner will be too pricey
Foam Pistols and Roes are also in the 200.00 range for the deck.

But for your actual question...can you ride a Sector 9 in GS?...yes, if it's not too flexy...Robert Palmer does and he consistently lays down incredible times.

Sector 9 is a high volume retailer and some questions exist on their commitment to the sport....you wont get the personalized service or product that you do from smaller companies, but you wont pay as much either.
The exception being companies like Pocket Pistols and Yandall, who are still smaller than the big groups, but manage to offer personalized service and a line of boards at great prices for entry level purchases.

Chris Linford...thanks for saying why you dont like the Sector 9's.....saying why you dont like them helps out a new skater....saying only that they suck may only turn them off from the sport.

And yeah, lets do that 2X4 race....steel wheels.....Giant Slalom.....we can share a ride in the ambulance on our way to get put back together again..

My apologies for the attitude....

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Sector 9 and Bahne

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:17 am

Let's not forget the Bahne Black Hill.

Just a word about Sector 9, they were one of two major sponsors of the 2001 Worlds. They put up $2,500 and the trophies. Their new wheel looks good also.

The other major sponsor was Etnies.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:41 am

Hi Jack...i'd thought about the black hill...it was my first slalom board, which i passed on to my wife...and other new riders that come out to the hill pick that one up first as well. The only reason i hadnt suggested it was because i thought the 'guest' writer was looking more at GS boards.....the B/H is allot of bang for the buck...

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Post by Sam Gordon » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:26 pm

Having checked out the Turri Road course on the day before the Super G, I felt a little undergunned in having a 32" board as the longest in my quiver.

The UK bunch then headed to San Luis Obispo for a bit of lunch after our downhill stroll and hounded the local stores. One of the Surf/ skate shops had not only Jack's excellent Bahne decks, but also had one of Sector 9s 38" Carbon Trylam boards equipped with Randals:

Image Image

I believe that this is the model you have.

The shape is similar to an early Fibreflex Slalom deck but larger in scale, having a surf tip and rounded tail. The price for the whole setup came to around £95.00; roughly the price we'd pay for a laminate deck back in the UK. I fought bravely from making an impulse purchase.

Pop some Avilas or green wheels on this board, arm the trucks with Radikal bushings and you'd have a setup that would have been an excellent contender for the above course.