What to do about strong wind? during a contest?

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

What to do about strong wind? during a contest?

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

I've not found specific subjects about that so perhaps we can discuss that here

What to do when wind is really strong during a contest?

Strong winds can really change the results of a race.
It's not a problem for duel/parallel of eliminations rounds but it's obvious that it is during qualifications. The ranking could be determined by the wind you've got during your runs more than your performances and skills.

Head wind was a big concern in Hanover on the Expo spot in 2005 and 2006 Giant race for example.
When a good racer can see 1,5s differences or more on a quite short special race if he got strong wind or not. Wind effects can be too much to do like if it is normal conditions (particulary when it's gusts - sudden brief rushes of wind) .
It's really unfair to be disqualified only because of wind.

During athletics events, a record is no longer acknowledged if a tail wind of more than 2.1 m/s is recorded.

So what to do?
let the racer start when he want (can be long!)?
make a pause like during rain showers?
should racers protest for abnormal conditions?

We are not equipped to measure wind force (even if it's probably not so difficult) but would a "wind force limit" something possible to set?
We could just have small tests like how much meter away will my cap fly when I let it fall from 1.5 meter...
I'm not really like to find new way to stop a contest but it's an issue and perhaps we should point some simple rules about that...

[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Wind

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:53 pm

Handheld wind meters are cheap and easy to get (look at kitesurfing and windsurfing shops).

What do I do with this wind information at a contest? Stop the race if the wind presents a safety hazzard such as:
Blowing cones over (after doubling up the cones)
Blowing debris onto the course.
Upsetting the riders stability (super-G or downhill, probably not at slalom speeds).

Other than for safety, I would not stop the contest for wind. Some racers will get a head-wind, some will get a tail-wind. That's nature and luck -- uncontrollable and unmanageable.

Most racers I know would rather run the race with the luck of the wind than sit it out...

-- Pat

Steve Hinzen

Post by Steve Hinzen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Other than for safety, I would not stop the contest for wind. Some racers will get a head-wind, some will get a tail-wind. That's nature and luck -- uncontrollable and unmanageable.

Most racers I know would rather run the race with the luck of the wind than sit it out...
I agree on that. Keep all rules as simple and stupid as possible. Some racers might adapt themselves to strong headwinds by racing naked. This might lead to a disqualification because of......."anti-sportive behaviour"? hm!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Re: Wind

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Easy to say that guys.

As an organizer, I wouldn't disqualify something waiting more than allowed to wait for the gusts to stop.

but I also don't think I'm the only that wouldn't like to travel thousands kilometers not to be qualified because I've been unlucky to race when the wind was really strong.

But I understand and agree that we don't need complicated rules. I was hoping for something simple and fair too...

perhaps just to allow a longer delay for a racer to start when conditions are bad.
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Wind

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm

I second Pat's comments.

We can't control the wind if time permits the organizer should be able to make the decision to hold the rider for a bit.

The one thing that should be done in any circumstance however is it be done equal and fair to any competitor no judgement on personality or skill level.

Anytime there is a wind at all it plays with the results. We cannot totally eliminate it unless we start racing indoors.
Many Happy Pumps!