2008 ISSA Rules update -- Section 9 (Technical Specs)

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:48 pm

something that should be considered

there are a few "kids" out there that will be the future of this sport.
ramon might be spearheading it
some of them have the technical skills and also a vast knowledge of how things should be.

again we come to ramon who is more than qualified to make such remarks or to point at weaknesses in the system.

i DON'T think these suggestions should go by unheard.

i,myself,think that these people are the future and.....IF they want to change things we have to follow anyway.we all will be gone sooner or later and they might have to clean up some "mess" that has been left by the older folks.
i really can't see that this should be the way to go.

i want to see more open ears for the racers of the future.

their input is more than valuable especially in ramon's case.
he knows more about the sport than a lot of the older racers.
he has been on the spot for the last 5 years
so do us all a favor and listen closely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Re: Pro or Am specifications

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:
Ramón Königshausen wrote:So there are a couple of options to vote for the specifications of Straight (or "Parallel") Slalom (SP), Tight Slalom (ST), Hybrid Slalom (HS), Giant Slalom (GS), and Super Giant Slalom (SGS).

Now my question is: are those specifications meant to be determining the Pro or the Am class, or both (which wouldn't really make sense)...?
In my opinion, the specifications are intentionally broad enough to cover both Pro and AM class.
Yes, but that doesn't help preventing to have a TS which is too loose.

Martin Drayton wrote:
Ramón Königshausen wrote:Now my question is: are those specifications meant to be determining the Pro or the Am class, or both (which wouldn't really make sense)...?
Hey Ramon, bear in mind outside of Europe the popular school of thought is that the courses should be the same (skill level required), just the Pros should go faster ;) !

In other words: TS the way I like and love it won't exist in the future?
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:17 pm

The rules neither ensure nor prevent having a course "tight enough". The course setter, the hill, and the ability/desire of the riders will determine if a course is "tight enough". It is not something that can be formulated precisely .....

If "very tight" courses go out of favor in future races, it won't be because the rules have prevented those courses.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:If "very tight" courses go out of favor in future races, it won't be because the rules have prevented those courses.
I hope they won't.

rmn

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Ramón Königshausen wrote:
Martin Drayton wrote:
Ramón Königshausen wrote:Now my question is: are those specifications meant to be determining the Pro or the Am class, or both (which wouldn't really make sense)...?
Hey Ramon, bear in mind outside of Europe the popular school of thought is that the courses should be the same (skill level required), just the Pros should go faster ;) !
In other words: TS the way I like and love it won't exist in the future?
If it doesn't Ramon, it'll be a sad day for the future of the sport...
Pat Chewning wrote:The rules neither ensure nor prevent having a course "tight enough". The course setter, the hill, and the ability/desire of the riders will determine if a course is "tight enough". It is not something that can be formulated precisely .....

If "very tight" courses go out of favor in future races, it won't be because the rules have prevented those courses.
(Well, at the risk of making myself unpopular)....Yup, it will be the fault of the rule that will allow the race organiser to set it regardless of the ability/desire of the riders, instead of racers of either a higher skill level, greater knowledge/experience or more of an idea of what is comtemporary!!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:21 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:.Yup,it will be the fault of the rule that will allow the race organiser to set it regardless of the ability/desire of the riders, instead of racers of either a higher skill level, greater knowledge/experience or more of an idea of what is comtemporary!!!
That's not true.

Any racer of greater knowledge/experience with more of an idea of what is contemporary can set whatever course he wants.

All he has to do is stage a race.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Don't take the fun out of it

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Stage a race that does not challenge the racers? You can't tell me this. Sport should be fun and challenging. With setting lame courses one or the other will get lost.

However, we will see.

rmn