A Little Guidance From the FIS

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:14 pm

- Head to Head you run to win
Not necessarily. I qualified among the last at the Worlds, thus placing towards the bottom of the Pro bracket, thus I was up against one of the top qualifiers. Do you think my intention was to win? No, my only intention was to do better than I did qualifying. At this race in particular, I knew I wouldn't improve my place due the system of using the Q time for final placings, but at least I wanted to achieve a better time. Timed races are great for that. If I would have done an excellent run (which I didn't do) let's say very close to taking out my opponent (thus showing that my Qual time wasn't accurately reflecting my level) it would have been nice if I would have compensated for the effort with a better placing.

In vert we used "loosers bracket" system a lot of times. With such a system the "loosers" would meet among them and the top "loosers" would be placed into the bracket again. It gave you a chance to come back, even if you would have one lousy round. It's a good system if it's a fun race and you've got plenty of time, but I think it's a confusing system and nothing that I would actually encourage.

/Jani

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Here's another way to look at it:

The Qualifying sets the order of finish ......

The H2H racing affords OPPORTUNITY for upsets to the order of finish...

If you look at it this way, you can see that using the Qualifying times for sorting the placement among the "equal losers" in a group does make sense.

In fact, if the H2H portion of the race were not to be run (weather or equipment failure, etc), then the Qualifying times would stand as the final result times. (See rule 8.2 -- Abandonment of Race).

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Head-to-Head Brackets -- placing order of "losers"

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:56 pm

We discussed this at length some time ago. The "METHOD B" was the leading contender and that is what I embedded into the rules.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=3354