Head to Head racing

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Lynn Kramer

Head to Head racing

Post by Lynn Kramer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:44 am

Dear BOD:
I have been to hundreds of slalom races and have organized a handful myself. I also skate with teenagers and have a pulse on what they like.
I would like to discuss the Main race status, and as it relates to the current slalom world.

In the current status recommendations, among permits and insurance, prize money and start ramps, is the recommendation that the Main race have 3 disciplines. This means one of two things:
1) You cram two single lane races into one day
or
2) You race on Friday.

Both of these are bad choices, as
1) It takes extra time between races to change spreadsheets, courses, move finish lines.
2) People must miss work for a chance to win a little money.

How strong is the recommendation that 3 races be held, in lieu of two head-head races? Head to head racing is the essence of racing. It is more interesting to the spectators (ask a spectator) and more fun to racers (ask a kid). I understand that the recommendations are a combination of recommendations and requirements (Mains must be permitted. Primes "should" be) and I would like to know where they stand on this issue.
Lynn

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: Head to Head racing

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:46 am

Good question Lynn. I've never thought much about it, and I personally don't recall the beginning of the story: why do we request three disciplines? It's become such common practise that you don't question it anymore. It may even come from the Euros in the 80's where we had three disciplines.

To answer your question: I would think that exceptions could quite easily be made - if you're making a high level race and for whatever reason cannot do the "third" event. It could be for example that you don't have a slope suitable for GS (think Paris).

Open for discussion!

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 am

Yes I see now that the sanction status guide ( http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... e-2012.pdf ) specifies "At least three race formats held, one should be Giant". For Major it says "Must include at least three race formats, one should be Giant".

Why a "must include" on the Major status and not on Main status? Does it mean that it is not a must for Main? It's confusing.

I did not think that we had to have 3 races for a Main. And that one should be Giant. I don't like hard specs like that because if the Giant can't be run then what? Is it no longer a Main status event? I don't think the current spec went through any hard checking of the details.

For the World Ranking the two best race points are counted from an event. Having only one race you drastically decrease the possibility for getting World Ranking points for the racers. Having three events gives them a better chance to maximize their point since you discard the lowest point out of the three.

Or maybe, come to think about it, the rules and specifications count unless you don't specifically specify the exceptions for you event.

You can always specify exception from rules and then it's up the Status Marshals to take that into account. And also for those planning to attend. That is why it's important when things change that you as quickly as possible inform status marshals of any changes from the original sanction form that might happen. And so that racers can be informed as well.

So everything is possible really. As long as the status marshals gives a green light for it. And that all exceptions are clearly specified in the Sanction form. Or even better in a specific post for the event. Otherwise racers expect the standard rules and specifications.

Lynn Kramer

Post by Lynn Kramer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Thank you. We come to this question every year when we hold our race. Next race, I will discuss with my cohorts for two head-head formats instead of single lane. Head-head in many people's opinions are so much more fun to race and to watch.
Lynn