HS Proto

FullBag Slalom Boards

Moderator: Miguel Marco

Miguel Marco

HS Proto

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Some pics of the last HS proto taken during an indoor testing session.

Paul Howard

Your Slalom Decks

Post by Paul Howard » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:25 am

Those look pretty good, correct me if I'm wrong but they look like the tail is not as steep as the Sk8kings Axe. I think that's a good idea as the Axe is a good deck but the tail always seemed too severe for me personnaly. Adios- Paul
I just dig slalom!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks Paul! Your right, not as steep as the AXE. The whole rear section is kind of round. The concave goes all the way up the smooth tail so the rear foot sits in a spoon-like pocket.

The tail angle is in between a s-camber tail and a usual kicktail. And the truck sits right under the beginning of the kick so you only need a 5° or 7° dewedge to bring it back to flat.

All skaters who tried the protos say the stance feels totally natural.

Paul Howard

More Questions

Post by Paul Howard » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:43 am

Hey, so is the rest of the deck cambered or straight/non-cambered (it is clearly concave from the pictures)?

Just my two cents: I find that on tighter courses camber gets in my way and definately slows me down and just makes me whack cones and lose reaction speed in the turn so It's not incorporated in my T/S model from Subsonic. However, if the course is "open" enough in the conespacing for the speed of the hill, then a small amount of low camber and firm flex(for my weight) seems good. Any more than 1/8"(maybe 3/16" max) of camber as measured from axle-to-axle and relative to a straight-edge again is overkill and feels "in the way" and doesn't do anything for me and at that point, any more camber than that is a hindrance and my totally stiff flat concave all-wood G/S deck pumps better. But that is my humble "no-longer-in-the-A-Class, B-Class-guy" opinion, obviously more camber works well for Gary Fluitt, and Tway did well with his Turner at the Dixie Cup. Confused? Adios- Paul
I just dig slalom!

Miguel Marco

Re: More Questions

Post by Miguel Marco » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:39 pm

Paul Howard wrote:Hey, so is the rest of the deck cambered or straight/non-cambered (it is clearly concave from the pictures)?
Flat/no camber. But concave tip to tail.
Paul Howard wrote:Just my two cents: I find that on tighter courses camber gets in my way and definately slows me down and just makes me whack cones and lose reaction speed in the turn so It's not incorporated in my T/S model from Subsonic. However, if the course is "open" enough in the conespacing for the speed of the hill, then a small amount of low camber and firm flex(for my weight) seems good. Any more than 1/8"(maybe 3/16" max) of camber as measured from axle-to-axle and relative to a straight-edge again is overkill and feels "in the way" and doesn't do anything for me and at that point, any more camber than that is a hindrance and my totally stiff flat concave all-wood G/S deck pumps better. But that is my humble "no-longer-in-the-A-Class, B-Class-guy" opinion, obviously more camber works well for Gary Fluitt, and Tway did well with his Turner at the Dixie Cup. Confused? Adios- Paul
No! :D It's all personal preference, I think. When I switched to stiff/no camber/concave decks, my pump improved instantly whether it was for TS, Hybrid, or GS.

In fact, I hated having to adjust to a way different deck everytime we switched courses. That's why all 3 Fullbag's slalom decks are made from the same mold. You get the same overall feeling under your feet and just have to make small adjustments to your stance.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Wed May 09, 2007 6:34 pm

Sooooooooooooooo.......................................

I got mine!!

It's really sweet - great craftsmanship, really well made. And of course everyone loves the graphics!

Now, on to the ride. First off - I generally don't go for concave on slalom decks, mine are all flat. And I never tried a "kicktail" for slalom, other than that one contest in '77 when I only had my Caster. So, that being said, I was a little apprehensive of the Fullbag. But since Mig and Danilo are brothers I gave it a shot. I set mine up with RTX/S trucks and Manx wheels and went to my usual hill with a few fellers. We all took a couple of runs each on it, it wasn't a real long session. But you could get an idea. The deck was surprising! I like the "tail" and so did the others. So much so that we'll probably do something along those lines with one of the prototypes we have in the works at Fatboy. Now the concave looked like I wouldn't dig it, and honestly when I put my foot in it, it felt odd. But in the context of running some cones, it was pretty cool. I could see myself perhaps getting into it on a deck. Personally, I like a Streisandish deck, and the 'Bag is a bit narrower up front, but it wasn't something that would prevent me from riding it. The deck itself was tortionally stiff and also had great wheel clearance, I'm actually gonna take out a 1/8" riser on mine.

Overall - I see a great future for the Fullbag folks! The only downside is that the US and Canada can't seem to figure out how to ship to each other!!!!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Wed May 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Ron Barbagallo wrote:Overall - I see a great future for the Fullbag folks!
Thanks Fatty! And thanks for the review.
Ron Barbagallo wrote:The only downside is that the US and Canada can't seem to figure out how to ship to each other!!!!
That can easily be solve by ditching Canada Post! I got a schwag box to the Luna Slalom Jam in 4 days by courrier. Will be using UPS from now on...