The Slalom World Ranking And South America

Slalom Skateboarding in Brasil

Moderator: Sammy Nogueira

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

The Slalom World Ranking And South America

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:32 pm

As the slalom scene builds in Brazil and across South America, please keep in mind the Slalom World Ranking has already reserved two high status races for the continent. In the future as a race is scheduled, promoted and organized, consider requesting either MAIN or PRIME status for the race:

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=1656

Since the inception of the World Ranking, I believe the only time the status was requested was a race Leo held in Carracas some years ago.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Ok. However after reading the information, posted in 2002, I wonder if that could be discussed again in the near future. In those days Brasil was not yet part of the the ISSA.

For 2007:

I have obtained the BASIC status for our first event.

We have another one being prepared, I am waiting to see what sort of sponsorship we will get before applying for the sanctioning. I will ask for either PRIME or MAIN then.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Flavio,

For the world ranking I don't know there is recognition of individual countries in South America for rankings. It's the whole continent. So "Brazil" in and of itself doesn't apply for one of the two major statuses but instead a promoter in South America (who just happens to be in Brazil) would apply.

I guess an example would be both Brazil and Venzuela again hold a race. One would get the Prime and the other would get the Main. Then if racing took off in Chile, Argentina or Ecuador, they also would vie for those two race statuses.

I think that's the way it works.

Of course, as the sport grows and things begin to get more involved in SA, there can be an effort to realign the territory to make more high-status races available.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Fair enough. :-)

Let´s wait and see how things will develop.
Last edited by Flavio Badenes on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:14 pm

for now we're working on having a bigger,better and a higher prize event real soon with another one on the line;so we have a lot of planning to do and as far as classifying the events we'll have to make them happen first and then have the heads of ISSA schoring and classifying them;that's why right on our next one we're trying to bring ISSA people down here to Brazil to coordenate and help us make the events according to their standards;there is no doubt slalom is growing fast all over the world and i believe real soon we all gone have a world circuit just like f1 in car racing and that's why our next event will be called:"THE SAO PAULO SUPER GIANT SLALOM GRAND PRIX" ;for this we're really planning a high prize...i'll post more as things progress...

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:55 am

Just got me reminded to update the Calendar with the South American section that has been missing. Done!

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=4427

Actually South America currently have 1 Main and 2 Prime statuses to use per season. First step is maybe to make use of the 2 PRIME events. Then if that looks ok one could take the next step and have a MAIN status event. Maybe a "South American Championships". ;-)

For a MAIN event it would have been nice seeing some riders from outside South America showing up.

But everything is possible as long as they are used wisely. Just remember the time limits for Prime and Main events. They have to be announced 2 resp 3 months before the event. This is so that people have time to plan their trip in good time. I think a MAIN status event could very well attract riders from both North America and Europe. So the earliest MAIN event is now Nov 1. The eariest PRIME event Oct 1.

And for high status events, especially a MAIN event, it starts to get important that slalom courses are set and the races are run in a correct way. I.e. to what racers are used to see on serious slalom events.

But it's really good to see that maybe the Brasilian slalom scene is about to get going (again).

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Hans;thanks for clarifying the event category working system, this makes it a lot easyier to understand;as far as courses it'd be cool to have different courses in diferent continents, so we'll have to deal with diferent caracteristics upgrading racers leves for example: european races with their caracteristic tracks and courses as long as US caracteristics in north america and south american caracteristicsin S.A. making everyone work for their values and making racers really good at any track/condition...i think i've been just trying to inspire on car races since skateboards and races have a lot to do with cars ...