Independence Slalom Cup, Sep 22, 2007

Slalom Skateboarding in Brasil

Moderator: Sammy Nogueira

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Independence Slalom Cup, Sep 22, 2007

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:05 pm

the INDEPENDENCE SLALOM CUP will be held on saturday sep.22nd all day and maybe night in front of the independence museum in the city of Sao Paulo!! This will be a hybrid slalom contest again with 60 cones, 100 competitors, open; and the street wil be a stylish 5 lane wide and about 400m long with brand new asfalt to be laid in the next couple of weeks!!! as soon as Flavio gets back from his vacation he'll be posting more about this; including pics and maybe a little practice session video!!

GET READY FOR BRAZIL PEOPLE!!!

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:42 pm

I am back...
This is the location, more to come this week. They will apply a nice fresh layer of new asphalt!
I will post all the information concerning prizes and more very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5jIDm8aqR4

Sammy Nogueira
Sammy
Sammy

Post by Sammy Nogueira » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Treino este final de semana, domingo apartir das 14:00hs...
Faltam 3 treinos para o evento não percam ...
Rogerio Nogueira
SAMMY
http://www.myspace.com/rogeriosammy
http://www.hardcontrol.net
CHIXILL ***** #sk8_slalom_independente

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:20 pm

ultimas definicoes sobre a copa independencia: total de 80 competidores(por causa do tempo de cada descida),inscricoes=$100 reais;todo o dinheiro das inscricoes sera revertido no ato do campeonato para as premiacoes desta forma:1=50%;2=25%;3=15%,4=10%;5 ao 10 material e trofeus(ou talvez faremos 5%para o quarto e 5% para ser dividido do 5 ao 10);o campeonato esta previsto pra iniciar as 17:00 e terminar as 23:00;talvez sejam mais de 60 cones;estamos esperando o recapeamento pra definir o circuito definitivo;treinos podem ser feitos todos os dias de semana das 9:00 as 19:00;NAO temos patrocinador ainda!!!!mas temos muitos apoios:red bull,gatorade,pocket pistols,wave boys,spit fire e todos os outros que entraram na copa sao paulo;toda a estrutura de som e area vip estao a cargo da red bull e toda a estrutura de gradios,banheiros,seguranca e iluminacao estao a cargo da secretaria de esportes e prefeitura. Irei postar neste forum o andamento das preparacoes e eventuais mudancas.

Sammy Nogueira
Sammy
Sammy

Post by Sammy Nogueira » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Many days to the Copa Independencia de Slalom
Rogerio Nogueira
SAMMY

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:17 pm

brand new asfalt layer!!! work will be done by thursday night!!!get ready to burn urethane!!!this will be a fast one...

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:07 am

Look at the sponsors !!!!! We need to go to Brasil!

What's going wrong in EU and the US?? Why don't we get this "class" of sponsors?

We need to do a round table withe the guys from Brasil to see what is different in organizing an event ! ,-)

HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric
Fred
Fred

Post by HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:48 am

Carsten, wich sponsors do you refer to ?
Podium or pavement... but PAVEL !

www.coneracing.com

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:27 am

I guess he means the city of Sao Paulo, the city event Virada Esportiva ( 1 million expectators expected to watch the event on TV) and Gatorade.

For the event in December, the third on in the city of Sao Paulo since August, we are having talks with Adidas, Nike, Coca Cola and TAM, the largest brazilian.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 am

For the ones of you wondering about the poster.....that is a very famous painting that shows the moment the Brazilian independence was declared. In my opinion they should all be riding skateboards instead of horses, but I think the lack of asphalt in those days had something to do with it. :-)

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:08 pm

fred, not sponsors for me ! Nobody wants to sponsor me ! :-(

".....we are having talks with Adidas, Nike, Coca Cola and TAM, the largest brazilian."

That' s what I am talking about ! The race sponsors! Hey we are talking about Nike and Coca Cola !!!! Big Ones ! Not the local butcher shop!

Incredible marketing.......we need to know your secretes! :-)

HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric
Fred
Fred

Post by HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:59 pm

In France, when it's not "soccer-related", you have no interest...
Podium or pavement... but PAVEL !

www.coneracing.com

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:21 pm

I think it's the fact that it's Slalom!

e.g. last weekend there was a pretty small street skate contest in Cologne with aprox.30 competitors. 10 teams á 3 skaters in jam format.
The potable street area was installed by red Bull the night before.

Sponsored by Red Bull, Eastpack, Local brewery...... no entrance fee , free food and drinks for the skaters.Perfect organisation!

1st place got parachuting, 2nd Eastpack Travel gear, 3rd lots of Cologne beer........
And there was no media coverage at all!

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:25 pm

Fred,imagine in Brazil where soccer has been the major sport for decades...but now is the 2000's and skateboarding is kickin' ass and we're already the second most watched sport only loosing to soccer; but you can skate faster than you can run chasing a ball; we already have some stories about young guys who tried soccer and even went to europe and asia to play ;came back and turned out to be pro skaters in the end...sponsorship is not easy and you have to gather events' history and a good digital presentention with all the data the sponsor wants to hear..people like adidas,nike and others have skateboarders of midle age their main target as consumers(even though they still didn't figure this out) 'cause we're the ones who have jobs and can afford buying their product;not little street skater kids who only bag for free shit...this and government/city/cultural partnership is ecenssial for building a sponsorship proposal besides tv and internet media...and of course you have to offer the proposal to a possible sponsor a few months before the event so they can work dividing their budget;the ideal plan is to sell yearly programation and hit one main sponsor for each event , do exchanges(we have red bull building all the structures and sound system for all our events),partnerships and stuff like that;i believe if a few events start to get to a certain level and skaters from all over start migrating to compete in this events;we'll have enough media coverage to raise the big guys' eyes;but you can never forget this will take some time to build..we already started here...

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

Carsten;events without media have nohwere to go;what's the point of investing in a worned out style(street) with no media coverage????that sounds like the kids from the block throwing their gig...remember red bulll will do anything for free promotion all over the world...their money is in F1 and airplane slalom racing>>>

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:43 pm

Damn Flavio!!!; this new asfalt feels like its a cement skatepark!!!grips like crazy...84a in front 80a in the rear...90 cones is what we came up with,60 tight ,30 giant alternating like this:20 tight(1,80m);15 giant( 2 transversal cones from one side to the other, included...it's a 5 lane ave.!!!):20 tight(2m);15 giant and the GNARLy last 20 tight(2,5m) and pray to stop!!! there's a 1,70m gate/take off ramp!!!i'll send some pics later if i can stop skating...wish you were here...

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:01 pm

In other words, organizing a contest requires a LOT OF WORK :-)
What helps in the Brazilian situation is that skateboarding is a affordable sport for most people, brings with it the chance of becoming a pro and going traveling to distant places and the politicians simply LOVE IT. We have a tradition of producing very good skaters, mind you even the Brazilian president Lula da Silva has been on a skateboard!!
It is not very expensive, you (the politician) become popular with the young generation and they will bring in more votes. The perfect combination. I remember going to the opening of skate parks in Rio in the late 70´s and the maior of the city in those days would kill us with his long borring speaches before finally allowing us to skate.
There are also a lot of skaters there, a lot of OLDER skaters. The older skaters have good connections these days, a lot of them became public figures in Brazil, they also work in the Marketing area or have rich parents that know Mr X who in turn knows Mr Y. And so it goes. That old brazilian story, really bad for a lot, and very very good for a few.

Last edited by Flavio Badenes on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Bruno Leonardo wrote:Damn Flavio!!!; this new asfalt feels like its a cement skatepark!!!grips like crazy...84a in front 80a in the rear...90 cones is what we came up with,60 tight ,30 giant alternating like this:20 tight(1,80m);15 giant( 2 transversal cones from one side to the other, included...it's a 5 lane ave.!!!):20 tight(2m);15 giant and the GNARLy last 20 tight(2,5m) and pray to stop!!! there's a 1,70m gate/take off ramp!!!i'll send some pics later if i can stop skating...wish you were here...
Just send me the ticket, I am still waiting..... :-)

Sammy Nogueira
Sammy
Sammy

Post by Sammy Nogueira » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Hello Flávio and all of the friends of the slalom.
Yesterday the night we finish the demarcation of the circuit. Me, Caco Max and Bruno, we were the careful of not leaving the circuit to turn a spped proof.
Many speed riders complained, but the slalom is not spped, for that we made giant sections for broken the speed.
The Circuit was very technical. The guys will have that show that know how to ride.
We hoped the European and American friends come to participate in the next event.
we are developing...
a good weekend for all.
hugs
Sammy
Rogerio Nogueira
SAMMY

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:11 pm

Fala Sammy,

Make it technical, that is not problem actually that is the best way to go.
I told Bruno that it would be a better idea not to hold the next contest in December, all flights are full during this time of the year and everybody wants to be by their families.
Lets discuss this further via email.
Good luck today!!!!
Grande abraco
Flavio Badenes
Last edited by Flavio Badenes on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:14 pm

BOA SORTE A TODOS OS COMPETIDORES HOJE!!!!!

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:14 pm

flavio, foi muuuito irado o evento..te mandei umas fotinhos...manda por Don mostrar pro Olson...e se der poe aqui no forum..pergunta pro kako o q ele achou...ele ja vai ser o campeao brasileiro de 07 por antecipacao pois o circuito deste ano vai ter so 3 etapas...

Juarez Mascarello
WarX
WarX

Post by Juarez Mascarello » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:41 am

Bruno faltou publicar os resultados oficiais
Juarez

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:10 pm

ja pasei pro flavio ,mas estou esperando os tempos quebrados do pessoal da fotocelula...[/img]

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Neste fim de semana vou atualizar tudo. Daqui a dois fim de semana vou pra Essen a la falo com a galera.
Abraco a todos e mais uma vez parabens pelo evento!