[MAIN] Open Brazilian Championship, Dec 13-14, 2008

Slalom Skateboarding in Brasil

Moderator: Sammy Nogueira

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Flavio Badenes wrote: Brazilian riders share the 108 thousand reais (36,000 euros) prize purse
Flavio,

108,000 Reals?

That's $45,000 (US) purse.

Where did the money come from?

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:33 pm

government

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:16 pm

this is actually the sum of the money of 6 skaters receiving a salary every month, for a whole year,it´s a paperwork hassle and it takes about 4 to 6 months to get aproved but it is totally worth it!!!

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:50 pm

Donald Campbell wrote:government
Okay, looks like we have to start a revolution in Europe!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 am

Yeah, maybe you should check on that,it is kind of a headache but if it works,is awsome,i´ve been working with the city people and government people for 2 years now and i heard every country has funds that they have to invest in sports and it is just a matter of which sports claim the funds(this includes copeting internationally with all expenses paid by the government);here in Brazil the first step was making a federation or confedetation(our case) CBSK(confederaçao brasileira de skate)gathers all disciplines of skateboarding and for each different discipline there is a board of representatives;in case of slalom,it is still part of the downhill discipline but in 09 slalom skaters will have their own board of representatives because of a successfull circuit with 10 contests spread in differente states during this last year.All this, makes the discipline very credible in the government eyes and now with foreigners coming down to compete makes slalom a top discipline which allows skaters to get government money to stay in the top of the game...I know that what Dom and Greg did at the contest in south was very cool but they have to compete against brasilian skaters or the government can cause problems;that´s why last year we had Mitchell and Chicken racing and winning here;besides the whole point of competing with the best is pushing yourself and try to get close to their level...if you guys use Brasil as an example maybe soon slalom will be the only skate discipline with government support world wide!!!!!!

Ricardo Damborenea

Post by Ricardo Damborenea » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:33 am

Bruno,

I'm really impressed with what you are achieving!

That's the way to go! There's plenty of money available from local, regional and national goverments to promote both sports and -generally speaking- youth oriented activities, but can't be given to individuals and/or private companies, just to non-profit organizations with a strong track record and a well defined focus. We are starting that same route in Spain: First we are setting up an skate association in Madrid, likely followed by similar associations in other regions in Spain. Then, build a federation. Then (hopefully) achieving something similar to what you have achieved in Brazil!
Skate Hard While You Can

www.40sk8.com www.mossclub.es

Bruno Brown RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP
Bruno (1962-2014) RIP

Post by Bruno Brown RIP » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 am

Ricardo,here in Brasil we need at least 6 associations to form a federation,what we(not me,but a whole group of skaters) did was gather people from different regions of sao paulo and formed associations for each part of town and then a confederation was formed a few years ago but only in the last couple of years applied to this government support,it took about a year for the whole thing to be formed and working, but once everything was organized and contests were being done,it progressed quickly;still though for a skater to apply to such bennefits he must prove him self as a high level competitor and he can only spend the money towards his discipline of competition and must prove the money was spent in that way every end of each year,so it´s not a "take the money and run" situation as many might think;you must do some proving to keep the system going...

Thiago Gardenal

Post by Thiago Gardenal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Jonathan,

LOW depressed and you saw the difference it is at the GIANT? IF IN 2 would be BETTER IN OVERALL, BUT ALL WELL, OUTROSD VIRA EVENTS AND SUCH AS BOOST FICA experience.

THANK YOU FOR CONCERN.
ABRAÇOS
GARDENAL RATS - PPS

Thiago Gardenal

Post by Thiago Gardenal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Here is a picture of the train rats.

In the photo we Caco Rats in the front, Thiago Gardenal 2 and Renato Serra 3

Hug.

Ricardo Damborenea

Post by Ricardo Damborenea » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Bruno Leonardo wrote:Ricardo,here in Brasil we need at least 6 associations to form a federation,what we(not me,but a whole group of skaters) did was gather people from different regions of sao paulo and formed associations for each part of town and then a confederation was formed a few years ago but only in the last couple of years applied to this government support,it took about a year for the whole thing to be formed and working, but once everything was organized and contests were being done,it progressed quickly;still though for a skater to apply to such bennefits he must prove him self as a high level competitor and he can only spend the money towards his discipline of competition and must prove the money was spent in that way every end of each year,so it´s not a "take the money and run" situation as many might think;you must do some proving to keep the system going...
We know is a loooong road: a track record of being a solid, serious and honest organization that really pushes the sport forward over a long period of time is needed to get funding. But you guys in Brazil all setting a good example that 1) this is possible and 2) its worth the effort.

Obrigado e um forte abraço
Skate Hard While You Can

www.40sk8.com www.mossclub.es

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:30 pm

the latvians have a similar thing going i think

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Thiago Gardenal wrote:Jonathan,

LOW depressed and you saw the difference it is at the GIANT? IF IN 2 would be BETTER IN OVERALL, BUT ALL WELL, OUTROSD VIRA EVENTS AND SUCH AS BOOST FICA experience.

THANK YOU FOR CONCERN.
ABRAÇOS
GARDENAL RATS - PPS
Olá, Thiago. I hope I didn't offend you by saying you might be bummed. I know how it feels to finish fourth by a small margin. But as long as you had fun and did your best, that's all that matters.

I hope someday I can skate with you and other Brazilians.

Thiago Gardenal

Post by Thiago Gardenal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Of course not, not without problems not offended.

Of course Brazil is always open to the world and who want to come only warn.

Hugs,
Gardenal - PPS