Moderator: Sammy Nogueira

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Once upon a time...

Post by Flavio Badenes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 pm

Thiago Gardenal

Post by Thiago Gardenal » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Olha lá. Alphaville Tenis Club. Ja andei ai é bem legal, mas ja sofreu uma reforma que acabou com a parte mais funda. O Mais loco é o começo que tem uma lombada, não sei se nessa época tinha, mas da para dar uns Ollies.

Abraço e valeu pela lembrança

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm

1977:
One-footed-nose-wheelie, foto Sergio Muniz, querendo ou nao o pioneiro da fotografia de skate no Brasil.

1977:
Headstand e abaixo Nose-wheelie, indo muito rapido, reparem no fundo da foto, foto: Sergio Muniz, todas as fotos do Sergio Muniz neste post foram publicadas na primeira revista de skate do Brasil a Esqueite, mesmo com este nome horrivel, nao se pode tirar o merito do Muniz ter feito a revista.

1979:

Anuncio da Waimea Surf Shop na Brasil Skate numero 1
A Waimea Surf Shop, do Nelson Machado, fez o primeiro campeonato profissional de surf no Brasil, o Waimea 5000. O Nelson tbm organizou o primeiro campeonato de skate realizado no Brasil e vencido por mim na categoria senior e pelo Mario Raposo na categoria Junior. A Waimea Skateboard Team foi a primeira equipe profissional de skate no Brasil era composta por mim, Mario Raposo e o Paulo Soares.

1979:
Na pista de Jacarepagua, foto do Wagner Monteiro e do Rum, publicada na Brasil Skate, estes dois foram os primeiros fotografos serios do skate brasileiro no mais puro estilo Warren Bolster. O Wagner e o Rum revolucionaram a fotografia no inicio do skate. Tenho varias fotos que eles fizeram de mim e assim que scanea-las as publicarei.

1981:
foto do Wagner de novo, publicada na pagina central da Visual Esportivo, a revista que veio depois da falencia da Brasil Skate.

SKATE FOREVER!!!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Flavio,

You should have kept that wig. It looks good on you!

Nice Pics.

Joe

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:Flavio,

You should have kept that wig. It looks good on you!

Nice Pics.

Joe
I bet you mean the one with the nice curly hair. Man I still sadly remember the day my wife forced me to throw it away.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm

The picture below is the only one left from the first ever skateboarding contest in Brazil, in which I took first place.
Taken in August 1976 in Rio de Janeiro Brasil, more precisely in the Federal Club in Leblon

Flavio Badenes, one-footed-nose-wheelie
photo by Sergio Muniz

This picture has never been published before.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am

1975:

Contest in Rio de Janeiro, the date is wrong, the year was 1977 and not 1975.

1981:

Three pictures of me taken during a trip to the Marina del Rey Skatepark in the USA. Article I wrote and published on Visual Esportivo the third skateboarding magazine to be published in Brazil.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:58 am

Someone just mentioned something to me that made me come to the following conclusion:

Looking at the last picture, don't you guys agree that Marina del Rey was the perfect place to
"hang" around? :-)

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:37 pm

Very cool topic Flavio!

/Jani

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:Very cool topic Flavio!

/Jani
Thank you Jani, maybe the other skaters (specially the old ones like me) could post their old pics here as well.

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:30 pm

1976:

I tirei esta fotos do meu amigo Leonardo Ribeiro

I took this picture of my friend Leonardo Ribeiro

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:12 pm

1978:

Flavio Badenes bullet photo Wagner Monteiro

1975:

Flavio Badenes carving the streets of Rio, photo Ricardo Guise

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Flavio, your photos are great man. Much cool old school..., and the hair! I recall having some too!

LAVIN
LAVIN

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:58 pm

Leonardo's picture is straight out of Dogtown - ZBoys. Classic!

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks!

DOGTOWN DAYS brazilian style:

Ernest Tello, Woods Half-pipe 1977, photo Wagner Monteiro

Jun Hashimoto Pipe near Rio de Janeiro, 1978

Ernesto Tello rips Campo Grande's half-pipe in 1978. Campo Grande stills exists, its is a public skate park. Hey I must say I was one of the skaters invited for the open ceremony back in 1977. A bunch of totally stoned skaters and the mayor of the city had a very nice talk indeed. :-)

Mark Lewis, Campo Grande, 1978

Ernesto again in Barramares, the first real bowl in Rio de Janeiro, located in a private condominium in front of Barra Beach. Restricted access, but we didn't care, we skated it anyway!! 1978

Last edited by Flavio Badenes on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ricardo Damborenea

Post by Ricardo Damborenea » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Fico muito impresionado, Flavio! Muy boas fotos! Brings back the good ol' days memories!

Abraço
Skate Hard While You Can

www.40sk8.com www.mossclub.es

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:17 pm

Ricardo Damborenea wrote:Fico muito impresionado, Flavio! Muy boas fotos! Brings back the good ol' days memories!

Abraço
Pois e Ricardo, o tempo passa mas a festa continua! Skate forever!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:03 pm

1977 is pretty early for a half pipe. Was it unique or where you guys ahead of us in the US?

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:1977 is pretty early for a half pipe. Was it unique or where you guys ahead of us in the US?
It was not exactly a half-pipe, In some places we would have two quarter pipes one in front of another. See picture bellow and in other places one side was a quarter pipe and the other one was a take off ramp, see the other picture. The real half-pipes came after that time, you are right, I called it a half-pipe because I just got really used to call them that.

I am sure about the date, that is end 1977, because the magazine I took them from was published in July 1978, the pictures used on it were from about at least six months prior to their publication date. I was involved in making the magazine (Brasil Skate) so I know the pictures came in long before they were published.

But you are right they were not really half-pipes, but I learned my "forever's" on terrain like the ones bellow.

I am also posting the cover of Brasil Skate n2, this is the magazine I took the pictures from. You can also see that we had a very good skate park, Wake Park, actually we had quite a few of them at that time.

Last edited by Flavio Badenes on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Cool, now show me a pic of Gilmour on his roller skates!

Flavio Badenes
Flavio
Flavio

Post by Flavio Badenes » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:45 am

Joe Iacovelli wrote:Cool, now show me a pic of Gilmour on his roller skates!
I can't find any. I have been searching my archives but nothing so far. I remember seeing him though. He rode a green Kryptonics board and he was known for his "special bearings".

He is from a generation after mine and I also know he used to ride the Erick's ramp in Leblon. Erick was another american kid that lived in Rio.

I will post a picture of Erick later on.

Juarez Mascarello
WarX
WarX

Post by Juarez Mascarello » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:15 pm

Sidewalk Skate 1976 Porto Alegre

Homemade board Chicago Trucks, Cadillac Wheels

Juarez Mascarello

Sammy Nogueira
Sammy
Sammy

Post by Sammy Nogueira » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:36 am

Flavio ,
Parabens pelas fotos e pela abertura deste post .
Muito legal e de extrema importancia para nós , um pouco da historia do skate no Brasil...
Um grande Abraço
F.IM
Rogerio Nogueira
SAMMY
http://www.myspace.com/rogeriosammy
http://www.hardcontrol.net
CHIXILL ***** #sk8_slalom_independente

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Re: Once upon a time...

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:08 am

legal flavio!

Cool to see Rio Pics..think the half pipe shot is of Erik Wilners back yard..man that a racket!

I did ride a Kryptonics composite deck..I picked it because I did not want to get stuck in Rio with a Borken board so i traveled with an indestructable one.

Wilner made "Spectro Skates" which if I remember correctly had graphics made with black magic markers and a bunch of lines condensing to a vanishing point.

I loved to get motorcycle tow ins into Campo Grandes super long half pipe and try to do the longest grinds. I rode my custom made 8 wheeler there as well as my 48 inch long baord with 4 inch ufo's in that half pipe.

I would go to City Skateboards in NYC (My best friend's dad owned it) and buy tons of used gear and sell it in Rio.

Those bearings I rode were pretty shot... they were Sims Gold Racing bearings, I think AZF made them... not really the fastest bearings but a lot faster than what other people had at the time- I had to soup them up every weekend because of how much dust was at that skatepark..man it was hot riding in that sun.. The deck had green Sims Snake conicals and Megatrons which I ground until the axle was about to pop off. I also rode with sims gloves with green urethane tips (also picked for longevity)...ironically the very opposite of slide gloves as the fingertips and palms gripped... Tom Sims had some very weird ideas. I kept using the same set of Rector pads for about 10 more years and to this day I still use and race in the very same Jay Adams Flyaway helmet that I used since 1975 or 1976.

I would take old kryptonics and older slow urethane wheels and use a drill press with a glued in bearing on an axle as a lathe to make my own conical wheels using a wood file and sell them At Escola Americana.

That was some fast park riding we did back then.. I never see anyone riding as fast now a days as we did at campo Grande.. it was such a big wide open park with such a deep bowl with a huge transition and a bunch of vert... it was cool to be in the bottom of that bowl watching someone carve the top... But not so cool coming down that wall and trying to avoid someone at the bottom. They would never make such a huge transition with vert like that again... people would say it was unrideable.... but you could ride it perfectly well if you had about 25-30mph for speed.

You really had to work hard to ride that big terrain and maintain speed because in the 100+ degree weather with the hot hot sun beating down on the concrete... the Sims Snake conicals were not a very hard wheel and the sun and hot pavement and heat made them even softer.. plus they weren't that fast a wheel to begin with, just a hair faster than a slow road rider 4.

Still Mario was a great rider,,,and that little german kid who did inverts.Erik Wilner taught me to do roll ins when people were just starting to do them in the USA. we were all breaking our wrists at the time.. I avoided that by wearing Rector wrist guards on top (had the top plate for protection) and Hobie wristguards (bottom metal bar) under that ...which made the first modern wrist guard with both top and bottom protection...bulky, heavy and even hotter in that hot sun. Best time to ride was at night waiting for those lights to come on.

Campo was a fun park so much more fun than Jacarepaguá skate park. (spelling??) Which was nothing more than a silly frying pan.... but would pass for the typical mini transition that we ride today.. although it was a very steep sudden transition (hence frying pan).

Probably the most fun was when we would get 15-20 skaters to follow each other all at the same time in the Half pipe... sometimes we would make it to the bowl in the end of the pipe and start coming back out against the flow of all the other skaters still just entering the long half pipe... it was game of nerves (we call it "chicken" in the USA) to see who would roll out first. I think only once or twice did we all go in and all make it out with anyone bailing or rolling out. That was insanity......so many near misses... I do remember colliding into a skater named "gordo" doing that once. The times we pulled it off was like 3 minutes of constant high fives... like it was amazing to watch.

Speaking of chicken...
Another skater I remember was nicknamed galinha (chicken in english) as he looked like a chicken... he was a skater who ride with Wilner.... Also Chris Redfield from Escola Americana, and Glen Carlson from Escola Americana.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour