Bennett Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Joe Boyle

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Bennett Truk Question

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:33 am

This picture was posted over on Silverfish:

I just now noticed something. Why do these straight axles have set screws?

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:18 am

I took a stab at answering your question over at Silverfish. Here's my guess in case you don't want to go back over there:

I think it is because the axle is 10mm inside the hanger and milled down to 8mm with a radiused edge, eliminating the need for a speed ring/washer on the inside of your wheel, insuring trueness, etc. The set screws are extra insurance to make sure there is no chance for any horizontal movement of the axle, causing your bearing shield to squish against the hanger on one side. Overkill? Maybe, but it couldn't hurt!
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

YOYO SHULTZ

Post by YOYO SHULTZ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:09 am

They are modified by a Canadian.... look here http://www.speed-dealer.ca/bennett.asp

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Could it be to stop the axle from rotating when tightening the wheel nut?

Curt Chapman

Re: Bennett Truk Question

Post by Curt Chapman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:I just now noticed something. Why do these straight axles have set screws?
Dunno about the set screws, but I have seen Geezer-ized front trucks with set screws also.

I did have one of those speed dealer front bennetts for a while. Workmanship was top-notch, and it performed very well.....

Tony Peters

Re: Bennett Truk Question

Post by Tony Peters » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:41 pm

Curt C wrote:
Wesley Tucker wrote:I just now noticed something. Why do these straight axles have set screws?
Dunno about the set screws, but I have seen Geezer-ized front trucks with set screws also.
Same with my GeezerX 90mm Indy, the axle is setscrewed in place
turns are fun....

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:00 pm

So, I guess when these trucks are reengineered the hangars bored out to accept a 10mm axle but a press no longer installs the axle snug in the sleeve? So it's a true 10mm bore with a true 10mm axle and thus set screws are the only way to keep it in place.

I guess the next question would be if longer axles are available as an option? Getting a thin 90mm hangar could be widened with a longer axle and some spacers. Voila! Instant tight-to-GS truck. I'm sure with all the space-age hardened materials that are available an addtional 10mm on an axle wouldn't automatically leading to any bending (Jason and Mollica excepted, of course.)

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:15 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:So, I guess when these trucks are reengineered the hangars bored out to accept a 10mm axle but a press no longer installs the axle snug in the sleeve? So it's a true 10mm bore with a true 10mm axle and thus set screws are the only way to keep it in place.

I guess the next question would be if longer axles are available as an option? Getting a thin 90mm hangar could be widened with a longer axle and some spacers. Voila! Instant tight-to-GS truck. I'm sure with all the space-age hardened materials that are available an addtional 10mm on an axle wouldn't automatically leading to any bending (Jason and Mollica excepted, of course.)
If you are asking about the Speed-dealer truck, it does have longer axles. I run the 88mm truck on my GS board with 2 bearing races on each side as spacers, giving me about 14mm on each side. This makes the hanger 116mm, wide enough IMO.
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Ron Olsen

Post by Ron Olsen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:19 am

WT -

Why are you asking all these questions when you have 37 Radikal's, 43 splitfires, and 227 Indy 101's in your quiver? ;)

RonO

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Because

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Tucker also has 129 Bennetts, but none like these. So expect an order soon.
La Costa Boy For Life

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:50 pm

good informative question by wesley
interesting info for newbies has been generated through this question

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:26 pm

It looks to me that these hangers are cross drilled in a position that suggests that a roll pin
is being driven through to secure the axles.

This would make the axle that much harder to extract if a different one were to be made and utilized...

maybe speed-dealer could clear this up??

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:40 pm

I said "set screw" but it could easily be a roll or small drift pin based on the photo.

It still remains the only straight axle I've seen with some sort of set hardware.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Yeah Wes,

It does look to be pinned as the drilling looks to be off center to the axle which makes
sense engineering wise...

I posted elsewere that I'd like to see Bennett conquer a small run of specialty "racing" trucks on the front end of manufacture
and hopefully keep the costs down for newbs
on a quality first investment in racing.
(Something they'll feel they can hang on to and grow
with as they advance)

I'm sure at this point that's probably not what Speed-Dealer (Blair?) wants to hear... :-)

These do look VERY nicely done and I'd love to try one at some point...

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:I said "set screw" but it could easily be a roll or small drift pin based on the photo.

It still remains the only straight axle I've seen with some sort of set hardware.
Here's another example, an Indy 101 with true ball pivot & 8mm axle. The 8mm upgrades that I did myself used loctite but for this one I had a machinist do the axle along with the ball pivot and he chose to use set screws.