Olympics London 2012 - Skateboarding to be included

Archive of older ISSA topics

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Jonathan Harms

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Olympics London 2012 - Skateboarding to be included

Post by Paul Price » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:58 pm

We need to approach the Olympic committee to ensure slalom racing is in included in the 2012 Olympic games.

From the Evening standard London paper 8 June 2007:

Skateboarding is almost certain to make its Olympic debut at the London Games.
Leaders of the Olympic movement are determined to help the sport qualify for the 2012 event in an attempt to broaden the Games' appeal to younger people.
The International Olympic Committee held talks with skateboard officials in Switzerland this week to agree a timetable for the sport's inclusion.
London Games organisers have already earmarked the cycling velodrome in the Olympic Park as a venue for the inaugural Olympic skateboarding event.
The competition would take place in the middle of the cycle circuit where organisers plan to erect several "half-pipes" on which skateboarders perform their stunts.
The chances of skateboarding being included in the Games roster were boosted by the successful introduction of another "youth" sport. Snowboarding made its debut at last year's Winter Olympics in Turin and provided some of the Games' most memorable moments and, crucially for the IOC, attracted encouraging TV ratings among 20- to 35-year-olds.
The drive towards a younger audience will continue at the Beijing Games next year with the debut of BMX biking.
This was introduced to the Games by the International Cycling Union, which is on the verge of adopting skateboarding as it is a "wheelbased"-sport. Olivier Quéguiner, the union's director of sport, said: "We are doing our best to introduce skateboarding for 2012. We have a clear strategy and we would like to follow the request of [IOC president] Jacques Rogge.
"The venue could be wonderful. All we need now is the green light from the IOC.
"Technically, logistically and in terms of cost it would not be a problem to stage the event in 2012."
The union's annual meeting later this year is expected to vote for skateboarding to become one of its "disciplines".
That decisionwould then have to be backed by the IOC's programme review commission prior to approval by the executive board, which typically backs the president's wishes.
This schedule leaves plenty of time to meet the 2009 deadline for inclusion in the London Olympics.
Skateboarding originated as " sidewalk surfing" in America in the Fifties and was especially popular with surfers in California.
Its popularity has grown rapidly and there are now around 13 million devotees worldwide, including 600,000 in Britain. The US continues to dominate the sport and the UK lags behind France and Scandinavian countries, where skateboarding forms part of the school curriculum.
Britain has about 600 skate parks, 100 of them in London, although aficionados complain that many of these are badly designed and dangerous. Cantalows in Camden and Whites Grounds in Southwark - the country's only dedicated indoor skate facility - are exceptions.
Skateboarding would be the envy of numerous other sports vying for Olympics status, which can provide a huge boost to grassroots participation and revenues.
Two years ago, rugby and golf both failed in their attempts to become part of the 2012 event. At the same time, the IOC cut baseball and softball from the roster.
The event most likely to be included in London is vert skating, which originated when skateboarders used disused swimming pools. Participants are awarded points for tricks and style.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Nice

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:43 pm

Thanks for posting that on all the forums Paul.

Great racing in Europe and Thanks for the props as well. I don't really remember if I was able to answer you right then and there. I think it came out as the dad asked me to sign the photos of the GS for his little boy.
Many Happy Pumps!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Re: Olympics London 2012 - Skateboarding to be included

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:30 pm

The International Olympic Committee held talks with skateboard officials in Switzerland this week to agree a timetable for the sport's inclusion.
"Skateboard officials?" Which ones, I wonder? (especially considering what follows below)
This was introduced to the Games by the International Cycling Union, which is on the verge of adopting skateboarding as it is a "wheelbased"-sport. Olivier Quéguiner, the union's director of sport, said: "We are doing our best to introduce skateboarding for 2012. We have a clear strategy and we would like to follow the request of [IOC president] Jacques Rogge.
What the F***?!!!
Where does one even begin to wade through that statement? Who the F*** are these people, and what sort of illogic did they apply to think a BIKE federation has ANYTHING to do with skateboarding? They couldn't get BMX in until the NEXT Olympics, but they want to put skateboarding in, and sooner? What next? Formula One in the Olympics because it's a "wheelbased" sport? Sure, and why not put American football in the next Olympics? But only if it's controlled by FIFA, the soccer federation! After all, they're both "ball-based" sports, right?
"Technically, logistically and in terms of cost it would not be a problem to stage the event in 2012."

What that means, in essence, is that somebody who may or may not know SQUAT about skateboarding could put on any sort of freak show they wanted. Yeah, that's a great idea. Good lord.
The union's annual meeting later this year is expected to vote for skateboarding to become one of its "disciplines".
Sure, and why shouldn't they? In the Byzantine organizational/political structure of the Olympics, there's $$$ to be made. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but it sounds like a land grab, plain and simple. They see that they can enhance their own prestige, and perhaps bank accounts, by getting control of skateboarding.

Don't get me wrong; part of me agrees with Paul that it'd be cool to see slalom (or other types of skateboarding) in the Olympics. But I have MANY concerns whether it should be under the control of a friggin' BIKE federation, unless that federation provides ironclad guarantees that it won't be turned into a dog-and-pony show.

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:50 am

Don't worry Jonathan. There are many skaters that would not like skatebaording to get in under the bicycle umbrella. There is also another big international association wanting to get their hands on skateboarding. That is the international Rollerskating Association. I guess a lot of skaters wouldn't want to see that either.

The problem is skaters are not united and there are people inside the skateboarding world dragging in different directions. It's all political. One would have hoped someone would think more about the good of skateboarding instead of their own power and big dollar signs. Not to speak of a lot of skaters that don't want to go olympic at all. It's always been a split question since way back in the 80's.

We need an international skateboard association that can gather all the international skateboard disicpline associations under one roof (Downhill, Slalom, Flatland, Street, Vert). But who has the skill, ethics, power, force and respect among all the worlds skaters to do just that?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:03 am

Some latest news on the subject...
Skateboarding to make Olympic debut at London 2012
Last updated at 11:21am on 8th June 2007

Comments Comments (12)
Skateboarding is almost certain to make its Olympic debut at the London Games.

Leaders of the Olympic movement are determined to help the sport qualify for the 2012 event in an attempt to broaden the Games' appeal to younger people.

London Games organisers have already earmarked the cycling velodrome in the Olympic Park as a venue for the inaugural Olympic skateboarding event.

Scroll down for more...

A skateboarder at an event in Brighton

The competition would take place in the middle of the cycle circuit where organisers plan to erect several "half-pipes" on which skateboarders perform their stunts.

The chances of skateboarding being included in the Games roster were boosted by the successful introduction of another "youth" sport.

Snowboarding made its debut at last year's Winter Olympics in Turin and provided some of the Games' most memorable moments and, crucially for the IOC, attracted encouraging TV ratings among 20- to 35-year-olds.

The drive towards a younger audience will continue at the Beijing Games next year with the debut of BMX biking.

Thiswas introduced to the Games by the International Cycling Union, which is on the verge of adopting skateboarding as it is a "wheelbased" sport. Olivier Queguiner, the union's director of sport, said:

"We are doing our best to introduce skateboarding for 2012. We have a clear strategy and we would like to follow the request of [IOC president] Jacques Rogge.

"The venue could be wonderful. All we need now is the green light from the IOC.

That decisionwould then have to be backed by the IOC's programme review commission prior to approval by the executive board, which typically backs the president's wishes.

This schedule leaves plenty of time to meet the 2009 deadline for inclusion in the London Olympics.

Skateboarding originated as " sidewalk surfingî in America in the Fifties and was especially popular with surfers in California.

Its popularity has grown rapidly and there are now around 13 million devotees worldwide, including 600,000 in Britain. The US continues to dominate the sport and the UK lags behind France and Scandinavian countries, where skateboarding forms part of the school curriculum.

Britain has about 600 skate parks, 100 of them in London, although aficionados complain that many of these are badly designed and dangerous. Cantalows in Camden and Whites Grounds in Southwark - the country's only dedicated indoor skate facility - are exceptions.

Skateboarding would be the envy of numerous other sports vying for Olympics status, which can provide a huge boost to grassroots participation and revenues.

Two years ago, rugby and golf both failed in their attempts to become part of the 2012 event. At the same time, the IOC cut baseball and softball from the roster.

The event most likely to be included in London is vert skating, which originated when skateboarders used disused swimming pools. Participants are awarded points for tricks and style.

Skateboarding in the Olympics?
The never-ending topic of whether skateboarding belongs in the Olympics was brought up once again today by the President of the Australian Olympic Committee. Excerpted from The Age.

Melbourne, Australia, 03.06.07

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates warns that the Games are becoming less relevant to younger people and that new sports such as skateboarding would help grab their interest.

Mr Coates said he was alarmed by an international survey that showed the average age of television viewers who tuned in to the Athens Games in 2004 was 40 and over.

"We're conscious of continuing to associate with young people," Mr Coates said. "But an international survey showed the Olympic movement was losing touch, a little bit, with them. The television audience (for Athens) was an older category and not the 15 to 30-year-old age group." He said the Olympic movement must look at adding sports to which generation Y - those born between 1984 and 1994 - could relate. Skateboarding and surfing were two he thought could be considered.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Olympics 2018 winter will be in Russia, it was in the news this morning

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/wintersport ... 95,00.html

It will be held in a natural reserve territory, world culture heritage area. There is not a single race track or skilift or hotel, not good enough streets or railways, just nature and a somewhat intact nature.

They will invest billions of dollars and destroy one of the last intact areas of Russia for one single reason:

MONEY

There is nothing else counting for the IOC

I don´t want skateboarding to be a part of that, no.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Last time.

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:42 am

Last time skateboard slalom was considered for the Olympics slalom was placed on a flat oval slightly uphill and into the wind. I was there, and no one was able to change this horrible decision. There was no speed, no excitement, no near crashes- it was 10% of what slalom has to offer spectators. And it could have Easily been changed. but they didn't then..and I highly doubt we could change it now. For sure slalom would end up on some flat brick uneven paved pavillion.

I say let Steve Olson run the show. I think he does a good job. And give him a huge flamethrower style backpack of Bear Mace for those that oppose his decisions.

And its about time we formed our own board sports federation.

We are not wheeled sport that just happens to be on boards -

We are a board sport that just happens to be on wheels-

For an official to even consider letting cyclists try to control skateboarding is about as sane as letting sychronized swimmers try to control wakeboarders. It proves they are already clueless and going down the wrong track from the very START. How old are these people anyhow?

Unfortunately the IOC will look for the most corporate looking type in skateboarding to put their trust in. Likely that will be the same disaster as getting those types to build skateparks.

Maybe we should all chip in $150 to get Brewington a really good haircut.

Or $150,000 for a hell of a lot of Bear Mace.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Eric Brammer

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:39 am

The chances of skateboarding being included in the Games roster were boosted by the successful introduction of another "youth" sport. Snowboarding made its debut at last year's Winter Olympics in Turin and provided some of the Games' most memorable moments and, crucially for the IOC, attracted encouraging TV ratings among 20- to 35-year-olds.

Yeah, well... I coached a certain young lady for Snowboarding Halfpipe a good 6-7 years before it became an Olympic Venue. That was 1989 that I worked with Trycia Burns, and she was in the 1996 Games in Nagano, Japan. I believe a then-young Ross Powers took the Bronze for the U.S., possibly only because Terje boycotted the whole thing (It was the last gasp of for pro-ISF snowboarders, as the FIS sucked the coffers right out from under the Snowboard Federation, using Lawyer's fees and repeatedly breaking their word on Cup points standing preceding the Olympics), and undoubtedly, Terje was then the best snowboarder alive.

This last Olympics did debut one aspect of the sport, again with a young female American who I coached some 7 years prior to the games in Italy. That was BoarderCross, and Lindsey Jacobellis got 2nd place, only by 'oops-ing' on a grab (instead of focusing on that Finish Line) that felled her just on the last big jump. Must've been that her freestyle coach had too much influence on her in the time since she trained with me... ;-)
Lindsey was the only Snowboarder to qualify for both Racing (BX) and Freestyle (1/2 Pipe). And to think I used to teach her how to use Hardboots for Slalom/G.S. before we started working on BoarderCross training!

So, there's been, um, 3 Winter Games thus far with Snowboarding in them. Someone should let the Standard know that their reporting is in grievous error. Must've been that American Sweep in Salt-Lake City Utah was a non-event? My friend Ross won a Gold medal there. Does the Editor of this paper check any facts before publishing?

JG's words of warning should indeed be heeded. The IOC dosen't play fair, never has, never will. The words 'elitist' and 'snobs' are far beneath them, they're way above that; "Spacey", actually. I'm fine with Slalom being away from that crowd.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Steve Hinzen

no need for olympic skateboarding

Post by Steve Hinzen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:57 am

...found this one in the blog of http://www.tomledin.com.
O.k. ga... guys, go for it!

http://www.pavel-skates.com/
raceboards with a soul!

James Hopkin

Post by James Hopkin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:53 am

More on the new Olympic events.

Last week's IOC Guatemala meeting brought in a new system for determining Olympic sports. Making it easier to add or drop sports. There will be a core group of 25 sports with 3 sports added and dropped to make up a maximum of 28 in the future. So the IOC executive determines what sports are eligible to be voted on. The assembly votes on the sports for inclusion. A majority of votes means inclusion. Previously a sport needed two thirds of the vote for inclusion.
Previous Singapore meeting saw baseball and software dropped, failing to get two thirds by only a few votes. Other sports not included were squash, karate, rugby, golf and roller sports
So next vote is Copenhagen, Denmark, 2009. With probably 3 sports up for inclusion. Baseball and Softball should get the majority votes easily. There will be one spot left.
Now lets be realistic. It is all politics, and always will be when people gather in committees and associations. The danger for skateboarding is having another sport, like cycling or roller skating, represent its interest. The main sport will always look after its own and sacrifice the minority. Now it is easy to drop sports, many sports on the edge will form alliances with other sports to protect itself from being dropped.
I do not think skateboarding will be a core Olympic sport for a long time, if ever. The only time they talk about it is when the TV networks complain about ratings. It is all lip service by the IOC to reassure TV the huge bucks they pay is a wise investment.
By having vert skating in the Olympics, how will it appeal to the youth the IOC is chasing? The majority of skateboarders in the world are street skaters. Would they want to see street skating before vert skating? And is vert, slalom and other minority skateboarding disciplines riding on the popularity of street skating without giving street skating the respect it deserves? I think skateboarding needs to get its global house in order so it is not a cynical exercise of one discipline exploiting the success of another.
Slalom has to go it alone. Just as there are many disciplines of fighting: boxing, karate, wrestling etc. So there should be different disciplines of skateboarding.
Skateboarding has a unique advantage of maturing during the internet age. The internet has helped grow the sport from a grassroots level. It is from this base that will make sure the sport is skateboarders for skateboarding. Slalom and the ISSA has to take the big brother lead on this. Having a global association. Representing themselves as a unique sport to IOC. Putting in place the structure to grow the sport and protect it from outside interests. So if money and power come as a result of participation in a major event, like the olympics, it is skateboarding grassroots that benefits.
Maybe that is dooming slalom to never becoming an Olympic sport in our lifetimes but it would guarantee slalom is not ruined by other sporting bodies.
By ISSA taking the lead and showing the whole skateboarding community how to organise their skateboarding sport globally it would be an example for other skateboarding sports to follow. And maybe this will result in the skateboarding community coming together globally to show a united force to sporting bodies like the IOC. By presenting the whole sport to IOC, one discipline would not be exploiting the success of another and the sport can grow as a whole.
Do you know what the IOC is really afraid of? Skateboarding putting together its own global event. That would erode their olympics. So to make sure the olympics stays number one, divide and conquer the new younger sports.

Warning about what has happened in Australia.
Skateboarding has been slowly taken over by roller skating. The Roller Skate Australia association has recently changed there name to Skate Australia. They are using skateboard popularity to prop up their dying sport. They now represent skateboarding to the government and are seen as the national body. They refused to let our slalom skateboarding to be part of their association or to form a club within their structure. They would prefer to keep us on the outside, and charge big premiums on insurance for our events. So ASRA was formed. Australian Skateboard Racing Association. Skateboarders for skateboarding.