Truly rare Turners

Turner Summer Ski Slalom Boards

Moderators: Peggy Turner, Christopher Bara

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Truly rare Turners

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:09 am

Bobby Turners custom boards are collectors pieces that many consider to be functional art, and they're all beautiful boards.
Now and then he made a board that would be considered rare, even by Turner standards.

Here's a prototype you've probably never seen before. It's a deck he was making for Chris Chaput. It doesnt appear to have ever been completely finished and it's a shape you'd never expect to see in a Turner.

The logo is under the gelcoat but what it was made with is unknown. If you have any idea how it's built, let us know

If you've got pics or info on unique Turner decks, post it up or drop me a message and i can put it on line for you

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:12 am

Here's a little insight into the Green Chaput Turner. The one pictured above was actually the 2nd version. You can see the shape lines on the ends in the picture.

Here was the first version

Chris said the original versions sharp cut lines were difficult to work with in the composite body because they tended to fold like tabs on a cardboard box. The 2nd version, which was never finished, used rounded edges to fix that problem.

You can see the design in this one that would later become Chaputs Big Red X

Bobby passed away before he finished the second design.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:23 am

Of course, now comes the big question: is this pure coincidence, or did Chaput ask Bobby, "build me a board that looks just like Keith Hollein's."

I know that Rick Howell was making Icks like this for Hollien and McCree at least 20 if not 25 years ago.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:46 pm

Wesley,
That shape is pure function..I built 2 very similar shaped decks out of Mahogany and Oak in 1979, never saw Keith's or Mark's. It's such a simple/functional"here's where you put your feet, and here's where the trucks mount, now cut everything else away to make for wheel clearance! Viola!! There's your shape! Chaput had a plank shaped like that at the first Gathering, and I mentioned to him I had built decks almost identical years ago..
Now,if someone were to come to me w/ a parallelogram deck that was designed specific for stance, I'd remark..."Hey, that looks like WT's that Rick built for him"
But I'd venture to say, dozens have cut boards that resemble the simple deck/mount design!
Enjoy,
Dave G
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:20 am

Notice the carbon fiber is off centered?? That's the way Bobby intended (for stance) My "White Bird" seems to many as being a standard Hybrid ...but ....nope, Bobby put 5.5 inches off centered and it kick arse!
Chaput and his style would work into the custom devulge!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Rare Turners for sale...

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon May 02, 2005 12:38 pm

Check out the "for Sale" forum...

Martin.