Taking care of my Turner

Turner Summer Ski Slalom Boards

Moderators: Peggy Turner, Christopher Bara

SYLVAIN LAVILLE

Taking care of my Turner

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Fri May 18, 2007 4:10 am

Hi, I'm gonna receive my Turner Fullnose in a couple of days , I'd like to know what to do (or what not ) to cherish it and keep it a long long time. thanks Sylvain

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri May 18, 2007 4:47 am

Mainly the care needs be taken with the mounting hardware.Don't use 10-24(fine thread) And twist it into the holes, as if you're threading them. Also use seal washers(slightly cupped washers,with a rubber grommet attached. When the cup of the washer flattens, the'yr tight enough, and the grommet stops maring. Oh...and don't slam it into curbs!!!
Last edited by Dave Gale on Fri May 18, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Eric Brammer

Turner upkeep

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri May 18, 2007 7:29 am

Consider adding a surfboard type nose-bumper to it. Maybe even rubber tape around the tail.
With the mounting hardware, there's been some good posts here and on ncdsa about that, but, yeah, use rubber washers at the bolt heads, and stay away from #10-24Tpi screws, use either #10-32Tpi or 5MM hardware for mounting your trucks. Rubber or soft urethane risers/wedges are definately better as well, as the hard plastic stuff (Like Khiro Rails or Tracker wedges) can scuff the deck up.
Oh, and keep it out of direct prolonged sunlight! Also never leave it in a car that's going to get cooking-hot in the summer! Could warp it, which sucks.
Lastly, if JG calls and wants to use it for one of his training camps, stay home! My yellow Turner crunched a stonewall because John didn't notice the kid was riding barefoot, and couldn't run after the board after dismounting. Luckily, no major damage, but irksome to watch happen. A nose guard could've likely kept it in unscathed condition.

Otherwise, Ride It! These are meant to be used, not to be wallhangers. Of course, it's your board.. But I wouldn't be suprised to find that your Turner does what my four do...
Beg you to come out an' Play! ;-)
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri May 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Good points..I couldn't remember the finer thread count. Also, take it easy on all the rails when setting it down! I still have my first Turner from 1978 and it is in good shape because I babied it while not riding it! Also, don't tempt your self to overly bounce on it! Although the new ones seem more rugged than Bobby's stuff...They still like to be pampered!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Post by Marty Schaub » Sat May 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Dave,

Hang Bobby's on your wall.
La Costa Boy For Life

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat May 19, 2007 9:00 pm

would it seem normal that my black needlenose from the 70's has a decent amount of flex and i only weigh about 115?
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Turner flex

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun May 20, 2007 2:44 am

Adam, Yup, IF it's a Medium Flex or Softer. When I weighed a mere 155lbs, a Medium Flex Turner was a good match for me. Now that I'm, um, bulkier, at 170 lbs., I've got to use a Medium-stiff (like my newer Fullnose) or a Stiff (my older Hybrid) flex. One needle-nose I'd had was given to friend who weighs the same (ahem) that he's always been, at 145lbs. It flexed just a tad too much with me on it. Adam Schwippert's Needle-nose isn't ridden too often anymore, because he's gained enough muscle (and weight) to really bend it. For his then-120lbs, I'd nabbed a medium-soft for him. On the Roe's he's had, he's suprised the maker and myself by continuing to ask for stiffer decks. His current S-Camber was Micheal Dong's, one of the few 'stiff' ones made, and he flexes it quite a bit.
Don't confuse Power with Weight.
If the board goes FLAT just standing on it, park it or sell it to someone lighter/less aggressive. If it springs back to a slight camber, it's good. Nonetheless, look for spots where it bends too much. That's bad when it happens, but can happen to most any board, despite the construction.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sun May 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Marty Schaub wrote:Dave,

Hang Bobby's on your wall.
Marty,
It would seem like a sin! I rarely ride it, and when I do..I'm very prudent and timid.. Have you seen it? The black one with the hand airbrushed lettering in blue and white/ top and bottom? It would seem sooo lonely hangin'
ENJOY!! (while you can)